It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Found In Outer Space Using Google Earth Sky ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What is this massive structure in the outer space ? Is this a city ?

Coordinate [ Google sky ] : -47.197346°-80.724995°

What do you say ?

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I say.

Lolwut?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Equiinox

So instead of a software glitch you went with a space city?...

It is Google Earth. Plenty of stitching artifacts in that program.

Just a glitch.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I personally do not trust the site that you have linked.

However this could be a great new if more evidence is found.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

software glitch is also a possibility

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Of course its a city, what else could it possibly be

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by shivaX

I checked that in google sky too . That structure is present there

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Definitely looks like a reflection to me.

How it has manifested itself could probably be explained by image analysts.

Maybe of NY before 9/11?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
That's an internal reflection of the telescope.
This happen sometimes, and there are other examples of such in google sky.

It's roughly analogous to when you go to the eye doctor and he shines that light in your eye, and if you look a certain direction you can see your retina reflecting off the back of your eyelid.

edit on 1/3/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
No, it's the Zorgatron Intergalatic Federation refueling outpost.

Please do your homework before posting next time.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
That's a glitch, nothing else. How can you jump to such a conclusion?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Reflection or glitch, can't remember which, but it has been discussed before, many many times.
edit on 3/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Reflection or glitch, can't remember which, but it has been discussed before, many many times.
edit on 3/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Actually it's both a reflection of the optical system and a stitching error; the reflection is effectively cut in half by Google's panorama stitching.

To recap for those unfamiliar with the source of the google sky image data, none of it comes from google; it's from pre-existing sky surveys, the POSS2/UKSTU (identical Cassegrain telescopes in the northern and southern hemispheres that surveyed the entire sky a few decades ago - I usually just call it POSS2 for short even though that's technically the northern half) in this case.

In this case, the optical reflection is being caused by a bright star recorded on the same film plate. The reflection is at the top of the film plate and the bright star is at the bottom. The bright star is Canopus, the second brightest star in the night sky. The film plates that have the reflection are the following:

S206
(01W3)

IS206
(A30W)

XS206
(A09M)

Those three monochromatic film plates are combined to make the color image of the reflection you see on google sky. The reflection is cut in half, however, by a stitching artifact. Rather than showing the entire reflection all the way to the edge of the above film plates, the following plates were used to stitch the sky together; the overlap the same coordinates, but in these plates the coordinates are at the bottom of the plate rather than the top and allow the mosaic to continue on up. Because Canopus is far outside the field of view of these plates, no reflection is present there:

S255
(01VX)

IS255
(A329)

XS255
(A1KG)

To show you an example of this, here's the reflection region from plate XS206 (A09M):
i319.photobucket.com...
Here's the same coordinates from the corresponding plate XS255 (A1KG):
i319.photobucket.com...

No serious researcher uses google sky to retrieve sky survey data. The quality is lower (the native resolution of the above images is about 3 times what photobucket will allow) and it's full of stitching errors like this. This reflection COULD have been avoided completely if they used more of the second series of plates I listed; the overlap on those plates completely covers the region of the reflection (probably by design of the survey), but when the google assembled their all-sky mosaic from the data, they didn't carefully curate it for problems like that. It's free, so you get what you pay for. On the other hand, the original sky survey data is all publicly funded and also freely available and that is what you should be using. It's much higher quality anyway. It's less "user friendly" than google sky because it's tailored for professional use, but that is proper research technique; always check the primary source.
edit on 3-1-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danowski
That's a glitch, nothing else. How can you jump to such a conclusion?

Simply by reading ATS, don't you love it,

some of the best entertainment available here just by reading some interactions between posters

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Occam's razor tells me it's a giant space punch bowl with melicious intent, looks like we are all screwed run for the shelters and anyone left on the surface grab all the Dixie cups you can get your hands on

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Looks to me like someone out there busted out a really BIG window somewhere and needs a ticket for littering! Look at that mess...and we hadn't even gotten out there to litter it up ourselves yet! Now we have a mission! Save the Universe and clean it up before it's lost! (Imagine hitting that mess at warp speed... poor people wouldn't even know what happend!)

Err.... Space City? Really?

new topics

top topics

join