It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen legally known only as 'Girl' battles to use her own name

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This reminds me of the Netherlands, lot's of their surnames are hillarious. This was because Napoleon made it law that everybody should have a surname in 1811. The Dutch didn't use surnames, and because most were against Napoleon they'd take the most stupid name they could come up with.

Here are some translated to english (added some capitals for better reading in some of them):
Brick, Beer, Happylife, Baldhead, Farmertree, Breasts, Butterbread, Glasses, Lemmon, Greatfull, Death, DryLiver, PigionRoof, MoneyMaker, Goldmine, Herring, Hookers, Dog, CheeseHunter, Chicken, CowKiller, Vommit, Human, BornNaked, Nothing, OldFlu, Pancake, Person, LittleAss, Flatfoot, Politics, Smell,....

As you can see the names are intentionally stupid as a form of protest against the French at the time, and they did it with a good sense of humor (takes tin foil hat off)

In Belgium you can't give insulting names to your kids, It just won't be accepted.
If you want to change your name you have to provide a very good reason to do so, and it will cost you a lot of money.

In Belgium, a woman must use her birth name for official purposes and will use her birth name for most private purposes too.] Any children born within the wedlock or within 12 months after divorce receive the (ex)-husband's last name, even if he is not the biological father.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Just another example of an establishment forcing others to comply with thier own beliefs. So much for the beliefs of the individual, if you are not a borg then you will be assimilated springs to mind.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Good job too, parental stupidity must be overriden when it comes to what a child will be known as through life.

I hate being Pfwang Dibbleburp Blindfrog III

By whom? The state? A local Counsel? Why must it be a child is viewed as an object, something without a sense of self or individuality?

There should be a ritual/rite upon a certain age where a child/teen/young adult can change their name. In-fact it is a bit preposterous that other people have the right to name people who aren't capable of speaking for themselves.

I think we should have three names that we shed/grow into over the course of our lives: A child name that we are given, a Teen name that we choose, and an Adult name that we earn(plus the standard last name).
edit on 4-1-2013 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by nerbot
Good job too, parental stupidity must be overriden when it comes to what a child will be known as through life.

I hate being Pfwang Dibbleburp Blindfrog III

By whom? The state? A local Counsel? Why must it be a child is viewed as an object, something without a sense of self or individuality?

There should be a ritual/rite upon a certain age where a child/teen/young adult can change their name. In-fact it is a bit preposterous that other people have the right to name people who aren't capable of speaking for themselves.

What are small children pets in our society? I think we should have three names: A child name that we are given, a Teen name that we choose, and an Adult name that we earn(plus the standard last name).

You're an American. That age is 18. You're, legally, an adult and can do as you please. Question for you; How does one earn an Adult name?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

Also what happens if you do not do enough to earn your adult name?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You're stuck with two childhood, and one teen.

edit on 4-1-2013 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Actually the point is that Bailey was a person's name long before it was a company name.

I've met doctors with the first names, Silverlight and Blackmoon. I know a PHD that has a name that translates to stupid. I know a nurse named Summer Wine. I've also met a lawyer with the name Major Tom and yes he was named after a rock music lyric.

Moon Unit Zappa did just fine.

Moon and her brother Dweezil were frequent guest VJs on MTV. Next to "Dancin' Fool", "Valley Girl" was Frank Zappa's biggest hit in the United States, and popularized phrases such as "grody to the max" and "gag me with a spoon". The song appeared on her father's 1982 album Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch. She later made another recording titled "My Mother Is a Space Cadet", with guitar accompaniment by her brother Dweezil. As an adult she has worked as a stand-up comic, magazine writer, and actress, appearing in the films National Lampoon's European Vacation (1985), Spirit of '76, the television sitcom Normal Life, and The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. She appeared as a burqa-clad Muslim woman in one episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, as Ted Mosby's cousin Stacy in an episode of How I Met Your Mother and on an episode ("Pampered to a Pulp") of Roseanne.[4] She worked as a VJ on VH-1 in the mid-late 1990s.[citation needed] She was a contestant on Rock & Roll Jeopardy!, losing to Dave Mustaine and George Clinton. She is the author of the novel America, the Beautiful, published in 2001,[5] and articles in major periodicals.[6]

People need to get over this idea that somehow they and the government can run a person's life better. It isn't your place to interfere with someone's life as long as they are not actively attempting to deprive another of their fundamental rights. A mainstream name is not a fundamental right.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You know in about 20 years.... because of stupidity... lots of couples going to be either..

Bella + Edward or
Bella + Jacob

Those people wouldn't know why there are so many couples with the same name.
edit on 1/4/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
You know in about 20 years.... because of stupidity... lots of couples going to be either..

Bella + Edward or
Bella + Jacob

Those people wouldn't know why there are so many couples with the same name.
edit on 1/4/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

Funny that you should say that Luciddream...

Over the past 15 or so years the big "fashion" over here in France is to name children with the following types of names :

Brendan, Brenda, Dillan, Kelly (that's one tv show out of the way!)

It is unbelievable when you go into a school playground over here to pick up your kids at the end of the day and hear "Bryan, Kevin etc etc...)

Bang goes part of the French culture

How sad!

Kindest repsects to all

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a question for everyone who is adamant that they have the right to name thier child whatever they like :

what of the rights of your child ?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

Is this what we in the U.S. and Canada are headed for?
A government agency telling us what we can and cannot name our children.

You think people should be allowed to name their kids '#head'?

And really, why are you assuming the US would follow suit with a ban? There's no evidence for that at all.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
"Choose a name that your kid could use if he or she became a Supreme Court Justice," is a naming rule I've read a couple of times.

I don't know about anyone else, but I got the creative naming absurdities out of my system back when I regularly played Zelda games. "Help us, Clusterbutt!"

Some people just never leave that stage, I guess. At least I pick sensible file names now.

edit on 4-1-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
a question for everyone who is adamant that they have the right to name thier child whatever they like :

what of the rights of your child ?

How does having a bureaucrat involved in the naming process affect the rights of the child?

The child still didn't get to choose their own name.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
If the government doesn't make weird names obsolete, the least it could do is make it easier for people to change their names when they legally can. I don't want to imagine how many hoops I'll have to jump through just to give myself my dream first name. "Because I want it" probably won't even be accepted as a good enough reason.
Plus, I don't exactly have the money to do it, or even the zillion forms of ID that they'd want to see. "Um, I have my ID card and my driver's license, is that good enough? No? Okay, I have my college ID here, it's expired but it has my face on it... No? ...Darn it all to heck, I give up."

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
If the government doesn't make weird names obsolete, the least it could do is make it easier for people to change their names when they legally can. I don't want to imagine how many hoops I'll have to jump through just to give myself my dream first name. "Because I want it" probably won't even be accepted as a good enough reason.
Plus, I don't exactly have the money to do it, or even the zillion forms of ID that they'd want to see. "Um, I have my ID card and my driver's license, is that good enough? No? Okay, I have my college ID here, it's expired but it has my face on it... No? ...Darn it all to heck, I give up."

It's very easy to change your name.

Women do it everyday when they get married.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
how many hoops I'll have to jump through just to give myself my dream first name. "Because I want it" probably won't even be accepted

Actually that's a perfectly valid reason in most places. I've added lots of names to mine.
Went from firstname and surname to 6 (yes, that's "six") names altogether. Well pleased. Now I just pick and choose which ones to use (I managed to get two surnames, without the double-barrel). Got my new birth certificate with all the names, and my main debit card, but otherwise I haven't been bothered to change the details (for example my passport still has 5 more valid years on it, so will update the new names when I need to renew).

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I've collected a nice little list of my own. If I had my way, I would walk out a newly-christened Marina, with about four middle names.

reply to post by sconner755

Marriage! Now why didn't I think of that? Let me strut over and register for a nice Match.com account real quick, so's I can choose the responder with the most attractive last name. Wish me luck on the eroticism front.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

You´re right about that but consider that names like #pie are given to disturb and give a clear message to the kid.
You can´t call that labeling from other people.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by StareDad

Guy Named Loser

The name of the game is not always what it seems to be, Sean Gardiner writes from New York.

One son was named Loser, the other Winner.

One became a policeman and was eventually promoted to detective.

The other fell into the life of a small-time crook, racking up at least 31 arrests before being jailed for two years.

But for the brothers Lane it was not a case of their unique names sealing their fates. "I went a totally separate route right from the start," said Loser Lane, 41, a detective in the South Bronx.

Loser, a star student and athlete, went on scholarship to an elite prep school, on to Lafayette College in Pennsylvania, and then joined the force.

The name is no more than you make it. In the article Loser says it was the adults that made it an issue. The kids had no problem with his name. He wasn't treated any differently. Read Freakonomics to find out why these weird names usually don't work out.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Moon Unit (Zappa was a unit for even considering naming his child that...) did just fine because she was the child of FRANK ZAPPA... world famous musician and clear damn lunatic. Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen.
Under any normal circumstances, it just wouldn't be acceptable for the kids sakes, to name children these ridiculous string of words... I'm not even going to call them names.

But because it's Frank Zappa, and he's a little bit weird, and he's rich and famous, it's ok. And thats what makes the whole thing ridiculous.
Who's going to touch the kid of some rich and famous star, who will most likely sue the behind off you for even so much as s'n-word'ing at his children's names?

No-one is going to step in and say anything for the sake of kids with dumb names who are born to wealthy and famous families, because they have the money to look after themselves.
But when some nobody wants to call his kid Toilet Locust and potentially get the mick taken out of them until they're old enough to change it, someone should step in!

I don't care who you are, if you want to call your child Butt Weasel Monkey Scrotum, I'll call you an idiot and call Child Services...

EDIT: I'd like to point out also, that there is some censorship in this post which is automatic. It looks ridiculous, but it's nothing to do with me.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join