It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin State Senator slams Kwanzaa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Wisconsin State Senator slams Kwanzaa

www.cnn.com

Wisconsin State Senator Glenn Grothman is not backing down on his characterization of Kwanzaa. In a press release titled “Why Must We Still Hear About Kwanzaa?,” he accused “hard-core left wingers” of using the holiday, celebrated by African-Americans in late December, as a way to divide the country.
Grothman claimed “almost no black people today care about Kwanzaa,” and he directly went after the creator of the holiday, Maulana Karenga, and teachers who talk about it as “real” with their students.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I watched this interview this morning on CNN and thought, this guys sounds like a real d-bag... let the people celebrate what they want to, and don't slam them with your negative views and beliefs. He claims that it shouldn't be recognized as a holiday because it was created by an individual in the 60's and that it is right around Christmas time. Wasn't every holiday created by an individual(s)

The reason it is around Christmas time is because, from my understanding, had to with a festival involving fruit. correct me if I'm wrong. I'm curious to see what all of you think about his comments and assertions on the whole ordeal.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-1-2013 by slapjacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well, if everyone starts ignoring Christmas first, I'd be ok with then forgetting all about Kwanzaa and Hon ooh kuh and any other holidays based on antiquated rituals or bald-faced lies.
edit on 3-1-2013 by jasonl1983 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Let people celebrate what they want, when they want, and how they want.

Just let me celebrate Christmahanakwanzika in peace!!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by johngalt722

Agreed.

No one wants to hear what they should or shouldn't celebrate. IMO

It's your choice, play it how you want it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Is it a real holiday?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/jp50e5c17eanza[/atsimg]

Well, it's gotta be a real holiday if it has a cake!

(The video is epic, lol)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Considering it was founded on racist beliefs - Christianity is a white religion, Jesus is psychotic, etc.(per The Quotable Karenga by the same guy), I don't really have a problem with it being slammed, but then again, I don't see a problem with people slamming holidays I do take seriously, as I believe they have that right.

Now, with regards to Kwanzaa, it is a holiday based on hate, based on racism, and based on intolerance. Their observances specifically to strive for racial unity. It changed over the years to be a bit more political correct (aka selling out - since they can't even keep to their original beliefs due to lack of popularity)... and there is plenty of discrepencies on just how popular it is/was.

Maulana Karenga got into a bit of trouble himself before he came up with the holiday. Let's see.... assault, kidknapping - he was convicted of that. Details of the case are sickening. He tortured two women they kidnapped. Oh, but he wasn't to blaim - it was all of the drugs he was on. He argued his trial was entirely political in nature. He claims he was a political prisoner when talking about his past. He got parole because he petiioned black politicians on how the white man was trying to put him down. Let's ignore the fact that his behavior at trial was just whacked.

He has never admitted these actions were wrong...

Kwanzaa was created while he lead US (United Slaves aka Us as in Us vs. Them). It's purpose to keep dividing communities along racial lines. It's motivation was hate.

How can I support a holiday like that?

I don't care what it has evolved to. If I disagree with the purpose behind a holiday, I don't support it.

Additional Reading:
"http://www.wabashunion.org/dec2007/the-story-of-ron-karenga-kwanzaa’s-founder" (problematic when hyperlinked)
www.gazette.com...

edit on 2013/1/3 by TLomon because: fixing links

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I watched the video but had a hard time focusing on the cake instead the front of her sweater....hehe
Who cares what anyone celebrates.The heck with that guy; I think I will celebrate Festivus next year just because I can...and it's damn funny.
[

edit on 1/3/2013 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I think the guy was just voicing his opinion on ... wait what holiday...... oh yeah, kwanzaa.
Who in the hell celebrates that anyway?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I understand this. I'm not sticking up for the holiday, because personally I don't observe it.

Look at Thanksgiving for instance. How did that become a holiday and what were the prior actions that led to the holiday? yet a good chunk of people in the US celebrate it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You know I've went to school with,worked beside, been neighbors with, and even lived with black folks all my life, and in my 36 years I don't think I know a single one that celebrates kwanza. I don't know why this politician found it necessary to even bring it up. Kwanza is dying out of lack of interest. In all likelihood there are more people that celebrate festivus than Kwanza.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The point i'm getting across is pretty much what all you've said. What's the need? This senator just sounds like a rusty tool trying to stir up any mainstream media he can get.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Thank you for putting the facts out there, this group US was so vile that they targeted and murdered several "Black Panthers" for being race traitors, now that's radical. What's next national Food Stamp day let's be serious now.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I really don't care, the man has the freedom to voice his opinion of a holiday if he wants. The holiday its self is kind of stupid and was made up only for the purpose of segregation.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by slapjacks
reply to post by TLomon

I understand this. I'm not sticking up for the holiday, because personally I don't observe it.

Look at Thanksgiving for instance. How did that become a holiday and what were the prior actions that led to the holiday? yet a good chunk of people in the US celebrate it.

Did you skip out on history class?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

"Thanksgiving Day" was first proclaimed by the Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1637 to commemorate the massacre of 700 men, women and children who were celebrating their annual Green Corn Dance. Those attacks were brought out by the English and Dutch and the day after the attacks the governor of Massachusetts bay colony labeled the day as Thanksgiving.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
He's right.

Nobody cares about Kwanzaa.

He's entitled to his opinion.

The only reason this is news is because CNN wants to tell everybody what to think about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by slapjacks
reply to post by Rezlooper

"Thanksgiving Day" was first proclaimed by the Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1637 to commemorate the massacre of 700 men, women and children who were celebrating their annual Green Corn Dance. Those attacks were brought out by the English and Dutch and the day after the attacks the governor of Massachusetts bay colony labeled the day as Thanksgiving.

??? Did you skip history class to play assassins creed or something? Thanksgiving in the US goes back to the 1500s

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
1607 is when the first "thanksgiving" was held in America. It wasn't until later years it was proclaimed as a "holiday" in America.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I live in the hood and hear nothing about it. Where I used tolive they tried to make it big for whatever reason maybe hoping for a handout

top topics

<<   2 >>

join