It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a rebellion won't occur with a national assault weapon ban.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Personally, I oppose any further restrictions to the second amendment.

Having said that, the rhetoric of those that say there will be a revolution/rebellion in the U.S. if Obama's agenda is adopted as law is, I suspect, chest thumping at best.

First, my family relies on me for immediate survival. mostly revenue generation to maintain lifestyle, food, etc. This point is obvious. I cannot see any large number of men putting their families at risk over an issue of whether you can hold the trigger down or have to repeatedly pull it.

Sure there may be individuals that feel it's the last straw and they'd be labelled as nuts if they basically committed suicide by playing out the 'cold, dead fingers" meledrama. it take a huge number to change the label from "nuts" to "rebels".

The more analytical would wait for the economic collapse,(beginning in Europe with the Euro-zone collapse, not in the U.S. as many feel). An economic collapse would open the door to a successful revolt, at least regionally. The end result being a break-down of the union with different groups hold sway in different regions. Even some federalist/loyalist areas holding on.

If history does on fact repeat itself, look for more incremental restrictions. Ones that upset many but not to the point of outright rebellion, after all, there's no rush, the trend has been in this direction for decades.

The proposed legislation, as in any negotiation, starts high and counter offers down to what was wanted all along.
The current demands/suggestions will be watered down somewhat to mollify the quasi-right and activists, all the while the "left" will have gotten what they wanted in the first place.

My weapons are for home defence and survival after a collapse/disaster. NOT as a member of some Militia. I trust that most gun owners are of similar views as myself, not rebels.

Most of these points come under the label of "will". The citizens have the means in their weapons, but IMO, lack the will to use them. At the least, in sufficient numbers to make a rebellion work.

When one adds up all the reason NOT to rebel and weigh them against the reason TO rebel, I'm betting it's a "landslide" victory for the "it's not that bad crowd" to win yet again.

Am I wrong on this?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
How on earth are they gonna take back the million's of guns that the people already possess ?
edit on 3-1-2013 by shivaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Nothing happened the last time we had an assault weapons ban.....

Why would anyone expect a revolution to happen ?

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms, so called "assault weapons". The 10-year ban was passed by Congress on September 13, 1994, and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some states still have an assault weapons ban going on;

On July 1, 2004, Romney signed a permanent state ban on assault weapons, saying at the signing ceremony for the new law, "Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."[129] The law extended a temporary measure that had been in effect since 1998 and covered weapons such as the AK-47, Uzi, and MAC-10.[129] The same law also modified some other aspects of general firearms licensing regulations.[129]

en.wikipedia.org...

In addition to New York (see above), Massachusetts and New Jersey have enacted similar bans. Cook County of Illinois has enacted a similar, but more restrictive ban. California enacted one of the first bans on semi-automatic rifles in 1989, adding stricter measures to the law several times since. Connecticut has enacted a partial ban that focuses on assault weapons with certain characteristics. Hawaii and Maryland have assault pistol bans pertaining to assault weapon characteristics only and pistols.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 3-1-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwtrucker
First, my family relies on me for immediate survival. mostly revenue generation to maintain lifestyle, food, etc. This point is obvious. I cannot see any large number of men putting their families at risk over an issue of whether you can hold the trigger down or have to repeatedly pull it.

You should start by better educating yourself on the situation at hand. What you stated has absolutely nothing to do with the proposed legislation. Fully automatic firearms have been heavily restricted and licensed since the 1930's and are not even listed in the proposed legislation. The legislation includes semi automatic weapons only and addresses things such as if your firearm has a pistol grip, flash hider, military look, bayonet lug, magazine capacity over 10 rounds, and many other "evil" features.

This bill would also include a firearm registry of any firearm that would be grandfathered in based on this legislation.

The ignorance of people is what will fuel any chance this bill has at passing.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by shivaX

They're not going to get all the guns. The defeat is political. In a couple of generations even our kids will agree with the ban as that's all the have experienced and "things aren't that bad".....

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Honestly, unless UN troops start knocking peoples doors down, and start arresting them and putting them in interment camps, I could never see a revolution happen in this country.

Everyone is too busy scratching there ass and walking around the mall. Watching Kim Kardashians ass as the world around them becomes smaller.

Do people honestly think a revolution could happen in present America? How many people know about NDAA? NDRP? How many people actually care about the Patriot Act?

People don't give a #. The only time when they wake up to reality is when they get the boot to the rear from a UN troop. But then it's too late, and there in lies the tragedy.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
How on earth are they gonna take back the million's of guns that the people already possess ?
edit on 3-1-2013 by shivaX because: (no reason given)

It doesn't happen over night, and most of the time it doesn't happen by force. It starts incrementally and ends in disarmament.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I get your point, but let me rebut, do your really think that is all they want? This proposed legislation is nothing more than an assault weapons ban in every way but name only. Most of the restrictions you mention ARE attributes of an assault weapon.Hello???

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Yes, the legislation goes beyond that, but my feeling on it is they will water it down before it gets to the floor to appease our side.

Do you not see that??

There are many states that allow automatic weapons, even some "blue states" like my own, Washington.

Once again, I may be wrong on this one, but when I talk to ban supporters they raise the assault weapon point NOT the others you mention. From what I can see they are one and the same.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

reply to post by SpaDe_

I get your point, but let me rebut, do your really think that is all they want? This proposed legislation is nothing more than an assault weapons ban in every way but name only. Most of the restrictions you mention ARE attributes of an assault weapon.Hello???

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Yes, the legislation goes beyond that, but my feeling on it is they will water it down before it gets to the floor to appease our side.

Do you not see that??

There are many states that allow automatic weapons, even some "blue states" like my own, Washington.

Once again, I may be wrong on this one, but when I talk to ban supporters they raise the assault weapon point NOT the others you mention. From what I can see they are one and the same.

See my point is this. This time it is being called due to "assault" weapons, but what are they going to call it next time? Do people not realize this isn't where this stops, but where it starts? What about the fact that this last tragedy was done with pistols? Why are assault weapons even being drawn into this debate when the crime was committed with pistols??

Do you see where this is going? The next attack will be on pistols in general saying that there is no need for the public to have them because hunters use shotguns and rifles. Then after pistols are banned it will be rifles, because nobody should have a weapon that has such power. Then after that it will be shotguns because nobody should have firearms at all. This is the way incremental disarmament works. They chip away at your rights bit by bit, a little feature here, a weapon class there, and in the end you are left with nothing but a baseball bat to defend yourself against a group of attackers while they beat you and rape your wife.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
your right, a rebellion wont occur because "assault weapons" are already ban.

But what is a assault weapon?

Is it the spoon that someone beats you to death with, thats assault, and the spoon was a weapon.

This play of words drives me crazy and the DEMs are masters at it.
edit on 3-1-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I agree 100% with your take on it.

I guess my main point is talking rebellion won't fix it, as it's not going to happen. Getting active might...

I mentioned the incremental aspect, these people aren't dummies, they know when to push it and when to back off. Keep up the good work

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The characteristics are mostly laughable. Grenade launchers and suppressors, yeah, people dont really need those. But are they hurting anyone?
I think we are so lazy, distracted or complacent these days that no one would revolt.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think you are assuming everyone thinks the same way as yourself. There are people who know whats coming after the ban, then comes the flood.

Only way to stave off the flood is to stop and ignore the ban. People would rather die than be enslaved, thats just a fact that I agree with also.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by SpaDe_

I agree 100% with your take on it.

I guess my main point is talking rebellion won't fix it, as it's not going to happen. Getting active might...

I mentioned the incremental aspect, these people aren't dummies, they know when to push it and when to back off. Keep up the good work

I agree an armed rebellion won't fix this, and I don't agree with an armed rebellion over this issue. I just wonder how many rights we have to have simultaneously attacked before people realize that their free country isn't going to be free much longer at this rate. Let's all just hope that it doesn't take shackles for them to wake up and demand their freedoms back.

edit on 1/3/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I agree there are people that rather die than be enslaved. I just think there isn't enough, at least at this point, to result in anything but...well, die.

I think a much, much larger number will hide theirs if a national ban goes through rather than taking on a swat team.

Besides, the way the economic side is going, it won't be much longer before that infrastructure goes down, perhaps even before the legislation!! Then it's a whole new ball game......

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

Have to ask, if it comes down to it , say you go get you DL renew and they ask you this: NCIC says you have an AR15 in your name do you still have it?
you say yes , they say
well before we can renew your DL you must turn in your AR15 what do you do?
it could be for tax refund, fed loan for school, or getting a CDL .
any time you filled out a want to own FFl back ground check your in the Sys ,
the seller records the rest, what type, make model, how many to said buyer, that being you, this goes to the Fed Gov.
. now as it stands you can say you sold them but with the new laws coming out you have to have proof that you sold them and that the person that bought them has the right to own part of the new laws being rolled out of the 2013 Ban er grab this law/ban er grab also bans individual sale, no more parking lot gun show gun sales
now before you go off and say i'm full of it with a tax stamp that you pay200$ gets you a full auto , now the new law will say pay the same tax and you can have your AR15

So now where do stand? , hand over your AR15 with a smile? Or pay the tax for the right to have an AR15

edit on 3-1-2013 by bekod because: line editing

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Wow, at a guess, if I could afford it, I'd pay it. If I couldn't afford it, I'd tell em to go forth and multiple( with a smile) and report it as stolen.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

sorry, that should read go forth and MULTIPLY...hate getting old...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

Yea 2013 will be the the year of the stolen gun... 3milion + reported, and not a one found.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Their will be no Assault ban, nobody will come take our weapons. Sandy Hook as tragic as it is will fall off the radar shortly as we will be consumed by a real american problem DEBT DEBT DEBT. They do not have the stomach to fix the greatest threat to our nation, they don't have the nerve even with Sandy Hook to attempt to pass new gun laws, the knee jerk reaction will pass. The only thing that will come of this horrific event is that schools will get more police protection and the parents and families will bear the grief and sorrow for their losses for enternity. My God give them strength to move forward and live on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join