It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dennys kicks out cops!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by skynet2015
Second, because the police feel they are somehow not citizens, not members of their state, and thus exempt from the rules and regulations, so much so that they feel they have been disrespected for being treated the same way the restaurant treats all of its other customers.

While all people born in America are citizens some of those people have received a commission that does grant them special privileges to carry weapons in the line of duty (and while off duty, because that commission doesn't cease to exist when they are not in uniform or on the clock). They also have a special set of responsibilities that the average citizen does not have.

Just like I as a Commissioned Officer in the Military had not only some special privileges afforded to me by virtue of that position and the authority I exercised over enlisted members of the military I have a lot of additional responsibilities to go along with it.

Originally posted by skynet2015
It seems that while the revolutionary war had successfully overthrown the aristocracy of a fledgling nation and rid itself of inequalities of titled nobility, that same nation has since forged a new brand of nobility and a special, privileged class due honors and respect.

That LEO's can carry a weapon in instances and locations that a civilian hardly makes them a privileged class. They are trained in the proper use of force and authority and expected to do so IAW the law.

No more than a doctor carrying around a few controlled substances, or cardiac drugs in his black bag in case of emergency makes him a privileged class. If i had a vial of morphine in my bag I'd go to jail - the doctor will not. He is trained in its use and expected to therefore use it responsibly.

The firearm to the LEO is no different than a wrench is for a mechanic...it’s a tool of the trade.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

That LEO's can carry a weapon in instances and locations that a civilian hardly makes them a privileged class. They are trained in the proper use of force and authority and expected to do so IAW the law.

Great point on that and I'll take it one step further. If, God Forbid, I'm ever in a mass shooting as one of the trapped who survives ....and I discover there was an off-duty cop among us all who wasn't armed and COULD have just put the guy down if he had been? Well.... I'll probably wake up in an emergency room afterward with things broken all over ....but that cop will have a nose that never looks right again when he looks in a mirror. I mean that one with all sincerity...and why I use a real and measured way of putting how I'd react to that.

Off-Duty cops, in my opinion, ought to be carrying everywhere and all the time. I believe Texas even makes it more than just their choice in the matter? Anyway... A Cop is a Cop is a Cop. They're never really off duty. They're just off the pay-clock over half of each day.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Well said.

As a former NCO, I'm sure that you and me would have words from time to time, but that I would always be proud to serve under your Command.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is my town. I know Bill ( Chief Clay) very well... this was a HOOT! I guess youd have to live in this completely fubared place to realize how wrong some of you are and how hilarious this really is!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

VERY VERY true

Unfortunately with this incident its not a matter of a misunderstanding or etc. I ran our local ( citizens group concerning crime and tip line) for a time and recently "retired" from a position with a local ( decided to leave this empty due to the confirmed stalker ghouls here, but its a legal department in county govt) office. The people in this area are the most horrible apathetic whiners on the planet I swear. Then you have the pissing match between the PD, Mayor, and PA.. that's always fun. For a time the PD wasn't on speaking terms with the PA! Then the HEAVY anti-gun uber liberal democrat ( not just the normal democrat type) element here..., and match that with out outrageous crime rate.. we are one city over from East St Louis.. its just down the hill. This Denny's is right off of the highway at an exit that leads right to East St Louis... and they want to piss the police off?? So Chief Clay says fine.. don't go there until further notice.. let em NOT have a police presence if the sight of a gun makes them cry. Add to that the manager is a very young.. undereducated.. sort. And Voila.. you have comedy in the news.

I was transferred here with my husband almost 8 yrs ago due to his employment and needing to be near STL Children's Hospital. I wish to God Id have never came here because this is THE most asinine and ass-backwards place I have ever lived.. and Ive lived all over the world and almost 50 yrs old. I'm praying for the economy to get better just enough where I can list the house we bought and move.. Ugh. I could tell you things... you probably wouldn't believe concerning this town and county.
edit on 4-1-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If I owned a business that had six paying customers who were cops and one who was not and complained, I'd think of a better way to handle it.

1 I might ask the customer to stop being an overly sensitive infant and grow up.

2 I might ask the customer to leave. I'd even give him a free meal and a doggie bag and invite him to never return with that childish attitude.

3 I'd definitely not piss off and attempt to embarrass local law enforcement on behalf of a simple minded idiot who should know that all police carry guns. On duty, off duty, beat cops, traffic enforcement, moonlighters, detectives, vice, whatever. Cops carry guns. Deal with it.

4 I wouldn't endanger the rest of my customers by alienating law enforcement. This particular Dennys can look forward to a long wait the next time they need to call 911.

Being offended has become so fashionable that people act this way just to show that they can inconvenience everyone else in the room and feel superior about it.
Americans need to grow up.

If six criminals walked into that same Dennys wearing guns the manager would have expected those cops to show up with guns. Right?
edit on 4-1-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Golf66

Well said.

As a former NCO, I'm sure that you and me would have words from time to time, but that I would always be proud to serve under your Command.

I welcome NCO advice - the only thing that matters is the timing and the place. Hell, I have basically dressed down a LTC once as a Major, in his office of course. He actually thanked me later. At the time I wasn't sure if I'd have a job the next week.

No one wants to surround themselves with sycophants and yes men. I love it when a subordinate points out something I need to work on or fix. Makes me a better leader and the unit stronger in the long run.

Since I was a SFC before I was a 2LT I really never had a whole lot of credibility issues that other new officers had. I also had a CIB, an SF and Ranger Tab along with Master wings...I really didn’t get a whole lot of nonsense. I got more flack from the jelly Captains who disliked the fact I had more street cred with the BC than they did...

Having been in SF where NCO's literally run the show I never disregarded my NCOs. As an officer in SF if your team doesn't like you, you will be replaced - period. They make or break you there. Regular Army - not so much. Met a lot of ass hat officers in my day. All that said, met a lot of ass hat NCO's too.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I'm an 'ol dinosaur, hell, a NCO who would not stand up to his OIC when he thinks he’s wrong ain’t worth a grain of salt in my opinion. But there is a time and place for that, ain’t there?

I have the odd feeling that we have run into each other in the past. But I was never a long tab. Just USACAPOC…The soft white underbelly of the SF community.

I always discouraged my guys from thinking that they were SF, and that was battle unto itself.

Back on topic...the Chief is now allowing the Cops to go there again. I'm thinking that the assistant manager is now looking for a new line of employment.

Oh...and what's up with the dancing thunb?

edit on 4-1-2013 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I bet they would've felt stupid if the person that said they were uncomfortable with guns being in there then proceeded to start a shooting spree.

Just sayin'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join