It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dennys kicks out cops!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So let me get this straight, some of you are chanting "Way to go Denny's" without actually reading the article and seeing for yourself how it all ended huh? How typical of ATS anymore.

Belleville officers are now under orders to avoid Denny’s restaurant unless they’re answering a trouble call.

Denny’s has since apologized for the manager’s behavior and said it is company policy to let police officers carry they weapons while eating.

So in other words... the manager was either fired or disciplined in some fashion for ignoring company policy and the Franchise is backing the Officers.

Yeah.."Way to go Denny's!"

edited to add:

My eyeroll and laughing emoticon is more about the responses read in this thread, not the actual non story.
edit on 3-1-2013 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MrUncreated

Cops are trained to have guns so there is a difference. I am pretty sure Austrian cops carry 9mm glocks on duty with them at all times.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think I would rather be beaten or shot by a cop [SNIP], you strange person.
The manager did them a favor by having them not eat there, we all know dennys is disgusting garbage.
That is ridiculous though, they catered to an irrational fear instead of two officers. Cops do need to start earning some respect from people, but, this is just silly.

edit on 3-1-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by MrUncreated
Do they even sell doughnuts at Denny's? I would be suspicious, too.

Doughnuts are what cops feed on when they are not eating meals.

Usually they eat meals wherever they get deep discounts for being a cop.... or better yet, free.

When the mafia did this sort of thing, it was called 'a protection racket'.
When threads begin to deteriorate into anti-cop sniping, I always think of Kipling's take on the military:
But it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' “Chuck him out, the brute!”
But he's a “Hero of 'is country” when the guns begin to shoot;
I don't hide my dislike of cops.
I have never been arrested.
All of my dealings with the police have been from the 'right' side of the law. I grew up around cops.
I know them. I know how crooked most of them are.
How many cases do you know where the cops actually save someone?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
typical plain-clothes / off-duty copers

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I grew up around cops.
Just as I allowed that not liking guns doesn't preclude one from being a jerk, I will extend the same comment towards cops.

As to cops ever saving anyone? I would venture to say that you've been hanging around with the wrong cops.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

By the nature of their job, cops tend to show up after a crime has been committed. They have little chance of saving someone.
They are mostly used for generating income for the municipality that they work for, by writing tickets out for speeding.

ETA: They prevent crime when there is a doughnut shop located near a bank that is being cased to be robbed. Who would want to rob a bank when the cops are next door?

edit on 3-1-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

appologies - but the way i read this is :

dennys junior manager over steps his authority and creates a scene - the site manager steps in over-rules him and attempts to appologies - plain clothes police leave - and then the cheif of police over reacts and orders dennys off limits to all his staff [ unless responding to an official call-out ]

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

there is another reason eateries give police officers discounts :

to prevent crime - ie an officer already on site - or expected in the next 15 secons or 15 minuites

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Usually they eat meals wherever they get deep discounts for being a cop.... or better yet, free.

When threads begin to deteriorate into anti-cop sniping, I always think of Kipling's take on the military:
All of my dealings with the police have been from the 'right' side of the law. I grew up around cops.

I have several friends that are cops and have won life saver awards. They have done everything from give CPR to elderly people to pulling people out of the World Trade Center on 9-11. I can honestly tell you I know over a dozen cops that have actively engaged in saving a life. I also know multiple security officers that have done the same.

I suggest you get a better class of friend.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

There was a fast food place near where I worked that got robbed a half dozen times in four months. The owner told the cops he would give them free coffee with any purchase. Cops started stopping in several times a day. Two years later I left that job and the restaurant hadn't been robbed again.

Cops are like anybody else they will shop where they have an incentive to shop. All things being equal service and convenience are the biggest incentives. If a business owner offers a better incentive the shopper/cop will go there. It isn't a protection racket. No cop is demanding the discount in return for service. The officer is making an economic choice based on incentives. The owner is also making an economic choice based on incentives. What is cheaper $7 a day in free coffee or being robbed repeatedly which results in higher insurance rates and a loss of money and merchandise?(This does not apply to NYC, Chicago, or L.A.
)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

I have several friends that are cops and have won life saver awards. They have done everything from give CPR to elderly people to pulling people out of the World Trade Center on 9-11. I can honestly tell you I know over a dozen cops that have actively engaged in saving a life. I also know multiple security officers that have done the same.

I suggest you get a better class of friend.
I never stated that they were friends... some were/are relatives. I find most of them are repugnant hypocrites, not my choice for a friend.
One, a cousin, I never knew him to break the law before he became a state policeman. That all changed once he became a member of the club. The club where you know what you can get away with, so you do.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

Denny's is now safer place to eat!

how did you come to that conclusion?

seems to me.. anyone in that area now knows

that they can rob Denny's..

because not even the cops are there to stop them.

silly brain washed foreigners..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Nobody should be allowed to carry in any public building or everybody should. If a business allows LEOs, but not allowing anyone else, is discrimination! If the business says it will allow cops but not the other patrons, the patrons should say, "you serve the gun totters then and the rest of us will dine elsewhere"!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I sure appreciate Mr Wendal clearing up the outcome from Denny's side of things. I was about to fire off a rather pointed letter myself as this wasn't crossing a line...it was crossing the law. Outright. I'm glad to see Denny's came around to be logical and sensible. I'd hate to hear the next robbery at a Denny's found all the police units "mysteriously" unable to respond any sooner than say... 20-30 minutes? oopsy...

I'd say the manager is someone that would do real well as about 5mph UNDER the posted speed limit and stop a couple feet before the white line at any intersection for quite some time to come. She might have been the top dog in her little yard there ...for that moment... but it's a BIG BIG world outside the building she carried authority in and that world is full of cops who would tend to take this real personally.
Bad manager. Bad Training. Perhaps a demotion to Dishwasher would be appropriate?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Every cop in the nation goes to a Denny's and eat.

If you're in plan clothes with a gun and don't see a badge on your neck or belt well guess what.

The old saying goes. "We have the right to refuse services to anyone"

I remember a while back reading one of these threads that a coffee shop owner ban a cop from coming into his place of business for the same reason or something similar.

edit on 3-1-2013 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Plain clothes cops visibly carrying guns, a few badges were visible, radios were on the table - they told the shift manager they were cops. He said leave because it's Denny's policy against weapons and a customer complained, he tells the cops they can take their meals to go.

The general manager learns of this, tells the cops they can stay because they are police and guns are fine - the police are too embarrassed to stay at this point and leave.

The chief issues a declaration no cops on or off duty are to eat at Denny's.

Why is this news?

A dumb shift manager embarrassed the cops. The cops cried foul to their boss who in turn banned all police from the restaurant under the premise of a misunderstanding that was in fact corrected onsite by the general manager.

This is a non-story designed to anger people for no good reason. Or there are budgeting issues in Belleville, Ill., and police need some donations from a moneybags corporation.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I noticed that they took the opportunity not to pay for the meal.

And what is this about a sign on the door? Does it mean that if there is no sign that says "No howitzers" that I can roll one in and set it on the dining table?
edit on 3-1-2013 by DoorKnobEddie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

The boy did his dang job. Denny's corporation policy says "no guns" well he did his job and maybe Denny's should change they're policy towards Law Enforcement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join