It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your poor it must be your fault

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

First off, it's "you're" NOT your. When someone makes such a grade 3 level mistake, I can't help but feel their post is going to be similarly educationally inept.

However, after reading your OP, I have come to the conclusion I was RIGHT. Any excuse for handouts these days.

It is YOUR fault you're poor!! No one else is too blame.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I dont usually comment but the only thing that came to mind when I read your post is wow cool story bro, mixed with a little frustration towards another member of the lazy lower-middle class of this country. I have an insane idea for you. Dont waste a dime or a minute doing anything unless it involves bettering your education/career. Youve already wasted too much time posting this. There are countless grants, programs, and opportunities you just have to actually work to find them. I know totally absurd right. No its much easier to tell your sob story here where other losers can relate and just blame America for your "hardships". Be a man and handle your business.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It doesn't mean that government is needed to diversify wealth.

One interesting thing about the recent 'fiscal cliff spending bill' is that now people who make over 250k a year will no longer have the ability to make tax deductible charitable donations to non-profits. What does that mean? There will be a shift in non-profit charitable organizations going from the private sector to the public sector. Now what about all of those billionaires making huge donations to great organizations like St. Judes Medical Center or Salvation Army? Those will most likely dwindle down and all of the people that they help will decrease with it.

Charity should be voluntary, not forced by the barrel of a gun or shackles and prison.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnBlack

First off, it's "you're" NOT your. When someone makes such a grade 3 level mistake, I can't help but feel their post is going to be similarly educationally inept.

However, after reading your OP, I have come to the conclusion I was RIGHT. Any excuse for handouts these days.

You're partly right.

It isn't his fault for any inherent misgivings but at the same time he doesn't have any right to blame anybody else or force them to be robbed by the mafia government and divide it up to more people like him and also many who are not as deserving.

The free market can provide charity several times more efficiently and do it morally.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Holy crap, dude. Remind me not to grow up in your neighborhood.

In all seriousness, $10k a year is more than I am making at the moment. I could make $10k a year go a long way right now.

My tax accountant uncle had a saying: "It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep."

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Walter Mathers' lived in a trailer park on 8 mile road the border of Detroit look where's he at?
I worked as a longshoreman for minimum wage on the Detroit river couldn't afford car had to take the below standard bus system and leave 3 hrs early just to get to work. I road my 10 speed bike in the summer and was always chased by stray dogs somewhere along my 19 mile ride I had to resort carrying squirt gun filled with ammonia to stop the dogs from nipping at me feet and legs
It was Walmart that took away my last job, Walmart started buying everything from china.
They of necessity are controlled by the Archons, I can't say on this board what I think of those pseudo cyborgs.
who have no feelings, and feed off the people like the poster that started this thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
the money/debt system is slavery, it is meant to be that way by the designers...

taxes...

taxes are from the days of kings and queens yet Humans for whatever reason think they should continue the program in that way...

i pray we wake up and throw off the chains and be physicaly free and no longer need that paper called money to shelter, feed and clothe ourselves and our children.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome

My whole life I've been surrounded by poor people some were better off then others. I grew up in a all white area 2 miles from the Detroit city limit. The poor people I grew up around never had a chance in this world. It's hard to focus on greater education when your fighting just to survive.

edit on 3-1-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

I hope I did the quote above right.....I do see your point. I was born & raised in Cleveland in the 80's. My father was classic bi-polar 1. A brilliant man who chose to pick garbage for a living. My mother learned how to work the system. She taught it to me. Many of the people I knew are dead from overdose, or are in & out of prison. But back then when you were on the system you were NOT allowed to work. It was illegal. There was no day care help or anything. Small checks, food stamps & welfare doctors. Believe me the doctors were the bottom of the barrel. To live you had to cheat, you had to work & collect checks. Some didnt and just roamed, those are the ones that did not make it. Today the help the poor recieve is outrageous, but neccessary, because the american people have allowed our government to create a situation to where if you have children it is VERY hard to feed them without the assistance. The poor need to realize that until they stop voting for what they can get, things will only get worse. Im not saying its all of them, but many of them. I was the poor who beat the system, I worked my butt off and bought a home & a car, I did it without the government. I payed for my own daycare & watched the price skyrocket the day the government started paying for others. Now where I grew up is horrendous. Many are illiterate and have no goal in acheiving anything. It is sad. But it has to change. You do everything that you can to survive without the monsterous government. You take what you need and no more. You teach your children to NOT end up in your situation. I taught my son to NEVER get on the system. I actually told him he was not allowed. You cant fix your mental illness, but you can lead by example.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Id like to suggest Seasonal Jobs in national parks or ski towns. After college i had no idea what to do with myself and moved back in with my parents in Memphis, TN with no prospects in sight. I got online and applied for a seasonal summer job working in Denali National Park, AK. I worked crazy hours in a kitchen all summer for just $8 hr, but i managed to have a few grand saved up and spent the summer backpacking and climbing mountains, taking pictures and met lots of cool people from all over the world. It also forced me to be on my own for the first time in my life. The jobs are not hard to get hired and they give you housing and 3 meals a day out of your paycheck of course. Usually the jobs are in kitchens, driving buses or shuttles, housekeeping, hotel work, no college degree or special skills needed. After that summer i decided to learn how to snowboard so i used the money i saved up to move to Girdwood, AK and got hired at the ski resort there and spent the winter learning how to snowboard in my freetime. Theres jobs like this all over the country in different Parks and Ski towns and theyll give you a refreshing new perspective on life and you can live and have fun if your willing to work.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cornucopia
the money/debt system is slavery, it is meant to be that way by the designers...

taxes...

taxes are from the days of kings and queens yet Humans for whatever reason think they should continue the program in that way...

i pray we wake up and throw off the chains and be physicaly free and no longer need that paper called money to shelter, feed and clothe ourselves and our children.

Good post. Also interesting you brought up slavery.

Back then, people used to be taxed 25%+ that the had to pay directly to the 'lord'. They were called SERFS.

Now Americans pay well over 25% and consider themselves free.

sigh..

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnBlack

I have my school records from when I applied for disability. When I was in 3rd grade they tested my IQ. I was at 132 what was yours? I also had a near photographic memory. My visual memorization tests were off the charts. The reason the school was testing me was because I wouldn't do my school work. One teacher told my mom all I did was stare out the window all day. Yet my math skills were incredible. I never studied but I had the highest scores in the class. My IQ tests state that I lacked in other areas like reading.

All throughout school I had difficulties. The school system spent years trying to figure me out. I played on the football team and was a star player. I also was a gifted artist. I was only 1 of a handful of kids excepted into a advanced art program. My art teacher was entering my artwork in contests at the local collage. In one contest I took 2nd place out of hundreds of entries. I could draw anything from memory down to the finest detail.

Schizophrenia causes brain damage. The longer left untreated the more damage that is done. I have since lost my artistic abilities and my memory isn't what it use to be.

I started experiencing severe personality changes around age 17. It was a slow and steady decline until I ended up in the hospital at age 20. It wasn't until I started hearing voices that my mom got the answers that everyone had search for for years.

I'm sorry my grammar isn't up to your standard. Maybe if you spent a little more time looking inward trying to fix what is wrong with you you won't be so critical of others. Ignorance is bliss.
edit on 5-1-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
being poor is a state of mind, and the poorest one can be, is to not own the consequences of your action/inaction, or the predicament of ones 'initial position'
combating 'poverty' is as simple as frequent useful behavior.
Being broke and being poor are not the same things.

Being well off, is having reserves to serve your needs, as to not be a burden on others, this often requires a level of foresight which tragically eludes people who describe themselves as poor.

An inability(or choice) to be useful, or to have foresight for what ever reason, is poor, regardless of the quantity of your possessions.

to be rich is to need little, and give of yourself to others, as well as help those who are genuinely unable to care for themselves.

People who have vast wealth an choose to spend it on themselves far beyond need or rational security, are just wankers.

edit on 5-1-2013 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Wow! Nicely done. People are strange when YOUR a stranger

YOU'RE life story sounds everything but boring. I bet your one hella interesting...
edit on 5-1-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: to be a jag off

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

Wow! Nicely done. People are strange when YOUR a stranger

YOU'RE life story sounds everything but boring. I bet your one hella interesting...
edit on 5-1-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: to be a jag off
Thank you I love The Doors by the way. Seriously I could write a book better then fiction on the things I've experienced in life. The stuff I talked about in my original post was only the tip of the iceberg. I over dosed twice and almost died. My step dad was a heroin addict. I flipped my car on the free way doing 70mph. My real father shot himself in the head. I've been shot at. My next door neighbor shot and killed his pregnant wife. My step father died of an overdose. My aunt hung herself. I've drove my stepdads Jaguar on the freeway doing 180 mph with a open fifth of wiskey. I've had a butcher knife held to my throat for my car keys. I was in another car accident where I was t boned by someone doing 50mph. I ran from the cops and escaped with enough drugs on me to catch a 40 year sentence. Every cop in the city was looking for me including a helicopter. I jumped out of a car going 40 mph convinced my friends were trying to kill me. Thats only some of it.

I never spent a day in jail and I quit doing drugs a year before I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm not bragging or anything it's all true and I rarely talk about it. Every day I'm thankful I never got caught and that I never hurt anyone.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

The same thing happens all around the world.

I was born in a communist country, and experienced life there. We had no money for toys, and at 7 years old the government says kids don't need milk anymore. People in Cuba still use black and white tvs, if they are working. The electricity is only sporadic and only for a few hours since the state owns it and cuts it off as they please. Children starting around 12-14 years or so are forced to do "community service" working for free for the government on farms on conditions you wouldn't let a dog live in or experience. The really small amount of money Cubans can make is not enough so people have to decide for one thing or another. For example, I grew up without ever owning a toothbrush, we brushed our teeth with our finger and used a really bad soap, and not even toothpaste.

We were able to escape through family in Spain, and lived there legally for almost 10 years, but things didn't improve. In Spain my father was earning $200 a month which is why we had to live in an attic which had a plastic ceiling. My mother would hang clothes inside the attic space and in the morning the clothes were frozen solid to the point that she had to beat it to take off the ice from it. For many years even in Spain I grew up without a toy, and was always in trouble in school because I was Cuban and was in fights I never started everyday.

Life is tough, and some people have it tougher than others. In Spain, even with good notes I wouldn't have been able to go to a university because first, there is a long waiting list, and second you need money to be able to go, at least in the 80s.

In the states I won 2 years of free college tuition because of my grades, but lost it because of some stupid error that immigration made changing my middle name as my first, and my first name as my middle name. I started working and paying for my college tuition but my mother lost her job and I had to take a full time job and worked overtime to help with the bills and had to stop going to Miami Dade Community College.

Years later I decided that I wanted to study and make something of my life so joined the Marines, and years later changed to the Navy and became an aircrew member in an S-3 Viking squadron.

I was then able to graduate from ITT Tech with honors and as Salutatorian, and in fact I had the same grade as the kid who was made Valedictorian, but since he was going to class in the morning and I was going at night he was given Valedictorian. I had never met that kid in my eyars of study and only saw him at the graduation speech.

My jobs all my life have ranged from working construction, working retail, typing in auctions as a clerk, mapper (drawing maps of properties), field engineer, and customer engineer.

Like some other members have told you, you make your own life. I became totally disabled on my left arm since 2008.

That is life, you never know what will happen to you, and you have to make the best of it you can. You can't be negative otherwise it will eat you alive and will affect the people that love you and you love.

There are people that have it worst than you.

Is the U.S. the land of opportunity? It used to be, but it is being destroyed from wihtin on purpose and by those who have wanted to change it, and are actively doing it.

edit on 5-1-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Couple of points.

First: The the selfish horrid nature of some of these posters sickens me. Do any of you know what scizophrenia is ?
When it hits with full force like the OP thats it. You can not function and alot of the time it is padded cell and straight jacket time till they get the right medication balanced. And when that happens you are still stuffed as the medication while takeing it wrecks your brain aswell, its like a chemical labotamy. Some people can function but other are basicaly zoombies. I have full sympathy for the poster and think disability support is for people like him.

Secound point: What this crap about the American Dream? I hear American sprout it all the time and what they describe is not unique in the USA. Guess what! Here in the UK its the same! Work hard at school do a couple of really crappy jobs as a teenager/ young adult (working in mcdonalds is as part of growing up as getting spotts) and then chances are you will end up in a comfortable well paid job were you can buy a house, own two cars and have 2 holidays a year. Dont work hard and you end up in a council estate (our version of a ghetto) easting procesed foods and watching reality TV all day while next door cooks meth. So its not the American dream, its just called life in the westen world.
edit on 5-1-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a good king takes care of his people..

that's what i would do.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
With all the hard luck stories here I see the same theme throughout. That theme is zero progression after high school and that is the problem with most people. to get a head in left one must continually grow in skill and knowledge. Better skills and knowledge opens the door for better jobs/pay. Everyone of you needs to ask yourself what are your skills worth to an employer? If your skills are ones that anyone can learn in a week then you will never see a good paying job since it is easy to fill and train.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Secound point: What this crap about the American Dream? I hear American sprout it all the time and what they describe is not unique in the USA. Guess what! Here in the UK its the same! Work hard at school do a couple of really crappy jobs as a teenager/ young adult (working in mcdonalds is as part of growing up as getting spotts) and then chances are you will end up in a comfortable well paid job were you can buy a house, own two cars and have 2 holidays a year. Dont work hard and you end up in a council estate (our version of a ghetto) easting procesed foods and watching reality TV all day while next door cooks meth. So its not the American dream, its just called life in the westen world.

The American Dream is to start your own business...not work for someone else...so you got it all wrong with what you think it is.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345
being poor is a state of mind, and the poorest one can be, is to not own the consequences of your action/inaction, or the predicament of ones 'initial position'
combating 'poverty' is as simple as frequent useful behavior.
Being broke and being poor are not the same things.

Being well off, is having reserves to serve your needs, as to not be a burden on others, this often requires a level of foresight which tragically eludes people who describe themselves as poor.

An inability(or choice) to be useful, or to have foresight for what ever reason, is poor, regardless of the quantity of your possessions.

to be rich is to need little, and give of yourself to others, as well as help those who are genuinely unable to care for themselves.

People who have vast wealth an choose to spend it on themselves far beyond need or rational security, are just wankers.

edit on 5-1-2013 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

that was cool, thank you

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join