It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your poor it must be your fault

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Today I found out that you can't take your savings, social status and belongings to the afterlife!!! WTF!?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Today I found out that you can't take your savings, social status and belongings to the afterlife!!! WTF!?

There are online counselors somewhere to help aid you in your untimely awakening

On a more serious note....

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I'm not going to lie, every time I hear "I'm on disability" from someone who looks like they are in pretty decent health, drives a nicer car than me, smells of booze at 11AM in the morning, in pajamas and is wearing a couple of grand worth of bling, my compassion for those that subsist on government handouts drops.

You don't know why someone is on disability, and many disabled people do look very heatlhy. I could easily have disability income, and a lot of it. I imagine that I look to be in excellent health, but I have serious internal damage to my body. I also have that look in my eye that makes people glad they don't have to see me everyday. If I didn't figure how to make a job for myself, I am certain that I would not be employed, and collecting disability. I imagine that I would still drive my current car, which has more value than the first house I bought. I also imagine that no matter what you thought about me, while I was your customer, you would be very grateful when I went away. If you think I am coldhearted here, I have even less compassion in person.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Alda1981

I see it as a matter of respect

Respect? Where is you're respect for you're fellow ATS member, or the rules of this site?

This member poured his heart out about the despair he is feeling and why, and the best you could come up with was an off-topic post to point out a spelling mistake?

That's what you prepared for us to read? That's respect? You didn't even have the decency to make sure it was free of the same errors you were pointing out. Where's you're respect?

If you think his and your errors are different your wrong. They are both simple mistakes that have no bearing on anyone's ability to discern the message the text is sending.

Shame on me too for wasting another post on this stupidity but I really feel for the ATS member who wrote the OP. Like I said, I don't think I have it as bad, but I understand his struggle and hope he or she finds something one of us say helpful. I can say for sure it won't be from you.

I found what you posted VERY disrespectful. That's what I don't understand about you and you're types? If you felt the OP's title was so disrespectful to you're little sensitive eye, why open it? Just to insult someone? Nice.

Oh you like that come back huh? Yeah, YOUR welcome

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If you were born a Kennedy they would have sent you down a river. Do the best with what you can. It sounds like moving somewhere else might be a good idea.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You can wine all you want but in the end Stepen Hawkins is laughing at you. If he can get by then anyone can. I know it sounds like a dick thing to say but it"s the truth.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythots
You can wine all you want but in the end Stepen Hawkins is laughing at you. If he can get by then anyone can. I know it sounds like a dick thing to say but it"s the truth.

Funny that you say that. It was my thought exactly, when I first started operating my own businesses.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Depending on the government for your livelihood only makes you poorer. Quit making excuses and get out there and make a better living. You're obviously well spoken and intelligent enough to write this multi-paragraph post. These days, that's all you have to do to make a buck. Look at social media, YouTube reviews of products that fit your lifestyle, motivational speaking to coax more of your friends and yourself out of poverty and off my working back.

Oh, and get a tenth opinion on that 'schizophrenia' diagnosis. Most 'Schizophrenics' aren't nearly as bad off as they think they are, as it's typically a cop-out 'disease.'
edit on 3-1-2013 by Xterrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

Hi "Xterrain"

I'm just popping in this thread to tell you why your post comes across as callous and insensitive, and why the logic behind it is flawed.

I believe this matter will be resolved more effectively if you self-educate, therefore I'm going to give you a link which I would advice you to read through and follow up on:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You should start blogging, find something your interested in, might take the edge off the condition as well as building up a small weekly income, diversify and start selling small products off one of them...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

The simple facts are - your possibilities are no different than anyone else's. Your *probabilities* certainly are. You may have more obstacles to overcome, have to work harder to get from metaphorical point A to point B, and have greater odds working against you much of the way. In the end, it comes down to choice. The son of a multi-billionaire may well be able to choose to be a lazy couch potato / party animal, and still end up a billionaire 999 times out of 1,000, and the son of a heroin junkie hooker may be more likely to end up turning tricks for a fix himself more often than becoming a best-selling author, but that doesn't mean it's pre-determined.

A harder road? Absolutely. More opportunities for growth, perspective, and living an enriched life for those who fight through their troubles? Definitely. My simple point - your odds of success as a statistic within a group are lower than average, no doubt about it, but you possibilities are not. And yes, it is easier to say this from where I stand, I understand that, but the choice is yours.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I was also diagnosed as a schizophrenic, by the VA and Social Security, and a handful of regular type shrinks. If you look back to some of my first posts on ATS, you will see that I have mentioned it before. I also stated it in my first post of this thread, but edited it out. That is because I typically choose not to identify myself as schizophrenic. Most people, who I interact with, do not even recognize that I am mentally ill. Those who make it past my walls are often surprised when they first step onto some of my crazy bat poo. I have days that are better than others. On some days, I don't even venture outside or attempt to interact with anyone outside of my family.

Somehow, I find a way to earn too much money to recieve disability, despite the schizophrenia diagnosis. Personally, I've found that not trying to do anything productive made me more ill. Keeping a schedule and making myself do something helps me keep my self grounded more than I would otherwise be.

I could go on and on about how and what I do, but I don't have a real clue about how I keep on top of it. I take medication, so that could be part of it. I don't expect you to be able to keep yourself above the illness, as I have learned to. If you can't handle functioning in society, then stay indoors. I'm just suggesting that you try, for your own peace.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by Xterrain

Hi "Xterrain"

I'm just popping in this thread to tell you why your post comes across as callous and insensitive, and why the logic behind it is flawed.

I believe this matter will be resolved more effectively if you self-educate, therefore I'm going to give you a link which I would advice you to read through and follow up on:

en.wikipedia.org...

You forgot to tell him why the post comes off as callous and how the logic is flawed.

I thought it was a good post, didn't seem insensitive to me. He was concerned enough to offer advice...

reply to post by dogstar23

I love what you said.

So what does it all boil down to, laziness? Eh, I don't think so.

I know it's my own personal reason for my pay check to pay check life. I can think of a few doable plans to create more financial wealth for myself, but the length of time and energy it would take to accomplish them aren't something I'm interested in at this moment in my life. When I am ready to move forward, with enough hard work and determination I will be able to accomplish the goals my plans set forth.

I think the PLANNING part of the road to success is one of the hardest things for some people.
edit on 3-1-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 3-1-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I'm not a schizophrenic, but I am currently involved with a local outreach system designed to provide support to the mentally ill, I am in regular contact with many.

My mum is a paranoid schizophrenic, re-diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder some 20 years after the initial diagnoses, she works in a high stress, demanding office job, periodically taking heavy sedation tablets when it becomes hard for her to sleep, as in her case, lack of sleep causes the onset of manic episodes resulting in a crash in which she begins to experience positive symptoms resulting in hospitalisation. She earns around $50,000 a year.

One of my contacts in the outreach system is also on the schizoaffective spectrum, he does not work or have any responsibilities in his life. He barely receives enough money to live on, helping him make informed choices about how to spend his money is something I have to do, as well as keeping him active and out of the house. He experiences negative symptoms constantly, and extreme pandering is required to keep him awake for more than 4 hours a day.

Mental illness is different for everyone, the variations within schizophrenics are extreme on their own.

On a very very basic level, we can say this:
There are 2 scales to consider when looking at your get up and go advice. First, the severity of the mental illness. Second, the individual coping ability of the individual.

If for example, a person with a level of 1/10 coping ability and 10/10 mental illness is told to get up and make something of his life, well, these are the people who would have been lobotomised 60 years ago.

If a person with a 10/10 coping ability and 1/10 mental illness is told to get up and go, your advice might just work.

At the end of the day, if you take your illness and transpose it EXACTLY on to someone else, it might not affect them at all, or it might cause them to kill themselves. If you take your coping ability and swap it for a higher one, you might be better off in life, if you replace it with a lower one, you might be in the streets.

Illness is different for everybody, to say "shake it off" is an archaic piece of advice.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Originally posted by Dispo

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Now that I reread his post, Yea, the thing about it being a 'cop out' is a little insensitive.

This was cool how you explained it

On a very very basic level, we can say this: There are 2 scales to consider when looking at your get up and go advice. First, the severity of the mental illness. Second, the individual coping ability of the individual. If for example, a person with a level of 1/10 coping ability and 10/10 mental illness is told to get up and make something of his life, well, these are the people who would have been lobotomised 60 years ago. If a person with a 10/10 coping ability and 1/10 mental illness is told to get up and go, your advice might just work. At the end of the day, if you take your illness and transpose it EXACTLY on to someone else, it might not affect them at all, or it might cause them to kill themselves. If you take your coping ability and swap it for a higher one, you might be better off in life, if you replace it with a lower one, you might be in the streets.

Way better than that link I didn't care to read

Thanks what you said make a lot of sense!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

TexI live 2 blocks from the city of Detroit. I see poverty every day. Half of the inner city is illiterate. Many people around me never stood a chance. It's hard to plan for the future when your fighting for survival from day to day. Many people I've known became drug addicts are dead or in prison. Why care when you have no future. t
reply to post by wantsome

I can agree with part of your argument, but when you say half the inner city of Detroit is illiterate, that should tell you something. Parents are roll models for their children. If they raised their children on welfare, chances are their children will feel like it's a way of life. If parents don't instill the importance of education in their children, and set an example of hard work and good work ethics, their children will not be motivated and will end up becoming apathetic to learning.

Educating yourself is the only way out of being poor. Once you've learned a skill or have become educated, the next thing is to be motivated and have the hutzpa to look for work. Finding a job is probably one of the hardest things in life.

I graduated from college in the mid 80's during the height of a recession. I had to go back and work at my old high school job at JCPenney's until I could find a better paying job. I didn't sit on my butt all day feeling sorry for myself.

I did something most people wouldn't think of doing. I stood on a corner during early morning rush hour near our local newspaper building with a painted sign in 30 degree weather in the middle of winter stating, "College grad needs a job." (I had a reason why I chose that corner). An hour later a reporter came out and said he wanted to interview me. The next day my picture was on the front page of the local paper with the title "A Sign of the Times." I made it to the front page of our local newspaper. A picture of me standing on the corner and an article explaining my qualifications and why I did what I did. I was also featured on the local 6:00 news. You couldn't ask for any better advertising than that. Because of this I received 4 job offers related to my career. The employer who hired me said, "anyone that is motivated enough to do what I did shows a lot of determination and creativity." (I had a Marketing degree at the time and used what I learned to get the attention of possible employers). I later became a corporate advertising manager at a local paging company.

I agree that some people with medical conditions, physical disabilities and mental disorders can become poor at no fault of their own. However, I believe in the saying "where there's a will there's a way." If you don't like being poor... start planning! Start focusing on how to get out of poverty and then put your plans into effect. It's not easy, but it can be done. There's really no excuse for illiteracy. The majority of the time, you control your own destiny.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Sad that clean drinking water comes with $$$ tag.
But typical,
those that don't have clean drinking water are to blame ?
. . . so say the world banksters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join