It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'MONSTER' charged particles coming from the centre of our Galaxy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Regardless, the link should be visited, it explains what it's all about.
The fact was they were trying to find out if it was from the super-massive black hole or from the stars around the core. The magnetic field they identified indicated to them that it was from the stars/exploding stars.
The rest of the article is just as important, if not more so, to the picture and few quotes that were posted.
Great find though.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by QMask
This is very, very interesting. (SnF)

Thank you for posting this, OP.

I certainly did not realize that our Milky Way galaxy was that "dynamic" still.

The Milky Way Galaxy has plenty of energy after it pretty much recently finished off the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy(which many theorize is the Sol systems true home Galaxy).
www.space.com...

viewzone2.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Noobastronomer

OP a question about that very interesting pic you've posted. From a victim suffering with 0 knowledge of astronomy.
Why does there seem to be a perimeter where the stars just stop and then beyond that perimeter there is only a blackness ?

SnF of course.
edit on 3-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

I'll throw a guess out there - maybe there's something akin to a galactic "termination shock", like the solar syatem has, but on a larger scale.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Noobastronomer

OP a question about that very interesting pic you've posted. From a victim suffering with 0 knowledge of astronomy.
Why does there seem to be a perimeter where the stars just stop and then beyond that perimeter there is only a blackness ?

SnF of course.
edit on 3-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

I'll throw a guess out there - maybe there's something akin to a galactic "termination shock", like the solar syatem has, but on a larger scale.

It's just the edge of the picture -- and the picture has an oval shape.

The reason the picture is an oval shape is because it is a picture of almost the entire sky. The sky above us could be thought of as a dome (that's the way it appears to us when viewing it from Earth). If you want to show a dome as a flat uninterrupted image, then that flattened shape becomes an oval.

It's similar in some ways to the way a globe of the earth is represented as an oval when shown as a flat map:
wisteme.com...

edit on 1/4/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

EDIT: Of course, the gas would have to be moving in a straight line, which it isn't, so that is the minimum amount of time it would take to reach us.
edit on 3-1-2013 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

Its Gamma rays not gas though? and depending on how they are being simultaneously released some may be directed. This is why I ask if the cloud seen the 3d material which is said to be approx. 100 million years where are the Gamma RAYS @ right now that move faster then the particle dust seen. I do however appreciate you taking time to review and respond. It was something 1 had wondered. Like if the particles are being emitted from some Star activity in the central zone of the MilkyWay, activity that generates Gamma rays in Omni like directions what could cause this? Again 1 appreciates your time you took on the problem.

I was coming up with multiplying 2.2 million mph x 24 hrs to come of with 52.8 million miles per 24 hours or a day? 52.8 million miles per day x 365 days =19272 million miles per year? this is as far as I got if any see corrections needed pleas do, and thanks. The result will then or should calculate approx. where the 2.2 million mph seen debris has reached and then some one with the ability may be able to calculate where the gamma rays are in time and distance...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

The picture is only including enough area to capture the majority of the Milky Way and the plume coming from the center. Either that or the Milky Way is part of the alien version of the Truman Show.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Ok, I think you might be a misunderstanding the situation a little. Everything in the universe is radioactive, even you and me to a certain degree. This is how the scientists discovered the gas.

The instrument they used can 'photograph' the cosmic radiation background, and anything of significant size that emits radioactivity. The gas (they surmise) was formed by Stars dying and coming into being, in the very populated centre of the galaxy, thus it has a high radioactive signature, hence they could 'see' it.

Every Star (including our own) produces high levels of radioactivity (including gamma rays). There isn't anything to worry about, as the same processes that protect the Earth from our own Sun's radiation, would protect us from the cloud, if it were heading our way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join