It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-Capacity Magazine Bill Will Be Introduced By House Democrats Today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

It looks like the first gun control bill of 2013 will be attemped to be introduced today. From what I understand, this bill will ban the sale, manufacturing, and transfer of magazines that hold over 10 rounds. This bill does allow the grandfathering of above 10 round magazines.

WASHINGTON -- House Democrats will introduce legislation to ban the production of high-capacity magazines on the first day of the next congressional session, the office of Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.), one of the lawmakers sponsoring the bill, told The Huffington Post.

If this bill does go through today, I think there's a high probability it will pass. Im guessing all the Democrats in the House will vote yes, and some of the Republicans will cave and vote yes to.

There's still a chance that this bill wont be able to get to the floor for a vote though. At the moment, Boehner hasnt indicated he would let this come to the floor yet.

Backed by DeGette and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), the legislation has gained a wave of Democratic co-sponsors since the shooting, which also claimed the lives of 7 adults. But few Republicans have come forward to offer their support. Even more critical to the bill's political prospects, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has not indicated whether he will allow it to come to the floor for a vote.

January is going to be a pretty bumpy ride for guns.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
A pretty modest request.

What do you need more than 10 shots for?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

Is it feasible 2 or 3 armed men break into your house?

That's why.

End of Story

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty
A pretty modest request.

I dont believe that this bill will do much of anything. There's already millions upon millions of over 10 round magazines out there. Also, in addition to the record number of guns being sold in the past couple weeks, these magazines are also flying off the shelves at the same rate, or even faster. Yes, the bill does ban the sale and transfer of these magazines, but will this stop the criminals from selling and transfering these mags? (You dont need to go through a background check to buy a magazine, 3 magazines, 5 magazines, ect.....)

I see this as just a "feel good" bill that dosent really do anything.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AMERICANSTRONG

That's why.

End of Story

So because your affraid, everyone should be?

I can't argue my possition since yours is reality.

Fear seems to be what drives everything from pistols to bio weopons.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

A pretty modest request.

A pack of wolves. Wild Boar. Bear. Mountain lions. Coyotes.

Of them all I've only had bear show up to a job site. Boar tend to be more south than where I am, but it's open season, no restriction year round due to them being a pest. Mountain lion attacks happen here a few times a year. Coyotes are around my sister's house, about 20 minutes from me.

I'm not a bad shot, but I'll take over 9 retries if it's my life.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

You are afraid of guns, you would demand other's turn them in? There is nothing wrong with our current laws, in fact I would like to see open carry in all states. That sounds reasonable to me.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

That's why.

End of Story

Well some think it's feasible that Obama is going to send UN troops to invade small towns (a local judge made national headlines here in Lubbock over it)

Does that mean we should each have tanks/rocket launchers/grenades etc?

Just because you can imagine it, doesn't mean you should have unlimited firepower

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

This has been argued ad infinitum.

At the end of the day millions have guns, if you want them come get them.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord

You are afraid of guns, you would demand other's turn them in? There is nothing wrong with our current laws, in fact I would like to see open carry in all states. That sounds reasonable to me.
r

Im not affraid of guns. I spent years living in the bush. We never had anything more than 10 shots. Packs of wolves dont generally run towards rifle fire. 10 will have them far enough away you will have time to reload.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   

A pretty modest request.

Perhaps that is best answered with another question. What is the benefit of depriving me of more than 10 rounds? A magazine change takes about 1.5 seconds, as I've come to know by practice on a 'tactical course' nearby. That's just a set up where you simulate shooting in a defense situation...nothing special or scary to make a big deal about, but changing magazines at least once is necessary and adds an element to challenge and improve. So...will a second and a half in the middle of 20 rounds or 3 seconds during 30 make any difference to ANYONE in a criminal shooting? I dare say I wouldn't appreciate the difference on the receiving end of it.

On the other hand, it pisses me off to no end that they figure for no above benefit and little more than their own political point scoring and grandstanding, I'll be made to blister my thumb on the range in reloading every couple minutes on my 10-22 or whatever else I decide I want to shoot which is designed for more than 10,

As it is, I have plenty of magazines for what I own and usually load them all up as part of the prep to heading out to the range, well in advance. That's realistic with 50rd magazines on the .22 and 15-30rd magazines on whatever else. It makes for a pleasant day and I'm not having to screw with loose ammunition and reloading at the table out there. ...but noooo... they need points for the evening news, so anything ELSE I buy sounds like it'll be as much a hassle to shoot as any joy now. Losers.. to a person up there.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

A pretty modest request.

Why wouldn't I want them? Why do I need to justify why I want them?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Just something I picked up but I thought this would be a good spot to share it.

I'm willing to bet this 14yr old can make one heck of a strong case for the benefit of more than 10 rounds loaded into an AR-15 rifle.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Oddly enough, I who FULLY supports the 2A and considers invalid anyone or any legislation that would infringe on my 2A rights.
Actually I would view them as hostile towards the US, and should be dealt with accordingly. drones, division of marines, sanctions, nukes, Etc.
I fully agree that high capacity magazines are garbage.
I have never used a 50 or 100 round magazine that ran flawlessly.
I have used hundreds of 30 round normal capacity magazines that have functioned flawlessly though.
Normal capacity is 30 rounds for MOST modern weapons.
High caps do not need to be banned, just discouraged for being faulty.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

A pretty modest request.

I'm good I got 200 thirty shot mags....

BTW it really doesn't matter because I really use 30 shot mags only because I'm lazy, but I could also use 10 shot mags and never slow down for 200 rounds.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

A pretty modest request.

The same reason police officers need more than 10 shots in theirs...to defend myself..
When I went thru the police academy we were told that in a extreme high stress situation the average shooters ability drops about 70% of what it is in practice...a person that practices often can improve that number..but still I don't want to run out of shots at a bad time.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

That's why.

End of Story

Go pig hunting and have 3 or 4 charge you after you shoot one....

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Oddly enough, I who FULLY supports the 2A and considers invalid anyone or any legislation that would infringe on my 2A rights.
Actually I would view them as hostile towards the US, and should be dealt with accordingly. drones, division of marines, sanctions, nukes, Etc.
I have used hundreds of 30 round normal capacity magazines that have functioned flawlessly though.
High caps do not need to be banned, just discouraged for being faulty.

I really do not know anyone who use 60 or 100 round mags...heavier than hell too. Didn't the Aurora shooter have a 60 round mag that jammed?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

This is also something that really gets to me. Where did this magic number 10 come from? Why did 10 magically become the "normal number of rounds for every gun"? Why not 11 rounds? 9 rounds? 12 rounds?

Also, here's a pretty good recently made video about "high capacity mags" (one of my favorite channels on youtube)

edit on 3-1-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Hawking

This has been argued ad infinitum.

At the end of the day millions have guns, if you want them come get them.

If the US government/military wanted your guns, they would have them by now.

They have the resources to overpower entire nations, a few million gun owners (probably much less when you factor in fear/incompetence) isn't a challenge by anyone's standards

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join