It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outlaw voter registration drives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This may seem like a radical idea, but if we want to stop all the voter fraud problems in the United States, then we should make it illeagle to have an organized voter drive. A citizen of this country who wants to vote should vote, but it should involve getting off of their seats and going to register on their own. be involved enough to do something about your vote. why should we have people running around and getting people to vote by using crack, paying them with cigarettes, paying the workers $2.00 a voter. get rid of all of this. Make it so that those who want to vote have to do something about it. this will not only cut down on voter fraud, but will also make those who vote more informed. okay, now you can flame me.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Oh sure, right. That's about the most ANTI Democratic thing I've heard anyone here say yet. Are you really that afraid of the Democrats?

Must be. How sad.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So ECK, you think it's okay to have voter fraud, you think that it's okay that in Ohio, there are 4 counties that have more registered voters than they are resident's, you think it's okay if micky mouse, dick tracy all get to vote? I assume by your remark that you think only Democrats cheat. otherwise you would be all for it.

That's about the most ANTI Democratic thing I've heard anyone here say yet.

are you afraid that people who want to vote and do something about it might not be democrats? are you saying that Democrats don't care about the country enough to have the intestinal fortitude to get out of their chairs and register themselfs to vote?

This just shows how little the Democrats care about fair elections.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
This may seem like a radical idea, but if we want to stop all the voter fraud problems in the United States, then we should make it illeagle to have an organized voter drive.

Or you could just arrest and prosecute people who are illegally registering fake voters.

why should we have people running around and getting people to vote by using crack, paying them with cigarettes, paying the workers $2.00 a voter. get rid of all of this.

The people doing the voter drives should get paid for doing their work. And all the problems of fraud during voter drives are wiped out by verifying people at the polls. There isn't anything illegal or immoral about going out and getting people registered.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I agree that there isn't anything illegal or immoral about going out and getting peolple registered. Why should we have to worry about having to have extra people at the polls to verify that the people are who they say they are. Seems like that is a recipee for voter fraud. What is so wrong with letting people do the work themselves. this is not voter disenfranchisement, anyone who is eligible should vote, a citizen should care enough to go register.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yeah, good one.

Make democracy better, protect democracy (especially in an era where fewer and fewer people are bothering to turn out) .....stop the people voting!

.....alternately instead of dreaming up ways to restrict your democracy you could look for means to just encourage as many people as possible to vote and check things properly and in time.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm not saying that we should restrict anyone from registering, I just don't think we should go out on these voter drives. My daughter is 15, she was approached at the mall and asked to register as a Democrat. She told the person she was not old enough to vote, and the person doing the registering told her not to worry about it, that it didn't matter. When she asked what was going to happen when she showed up to vote, she was told, you'll have a democratic card, we won't check on your status because Maryland is a democratic state. She said okay, and promply signed up as a Republican. the person registering her, saw what she wrote, ripped it up and cused her out. This should not happen.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The fact is, these vote drives DO get voters registered that otherwise would not participate.

This is a bad idea with good intentions.

I agree that we should arrest and punish those guilty of voter fraud.

You can't pass this kind of irrational judgement on an entire concept merely because your daughter had a run-in with a rouge station.

[edit on 10/26/2004 by Rain King]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
But how do you police it? how do you decide that someone has gone to far? seems to me that this is just fraught with voter fraud.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Simple, if people beak ANY rules for registering, they are punished. Voting is something we should take very seriously, and violators of the rules should be punished, harshly.

You don't need to decide if they have gone too far. If they register the same person twice under differant names, or register underage citizens, they should be arrested.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I'm not saying that we should restrict anyone from registering, I just don't think we should go out on these voter drives. My daughter is 15, she was approached at the mall and asked to register as a Democrat. She told the person she was not old enough to vote, and the person doing the registering told her not to worry about it, that it didn't matter. When she asked what was going to happen when she showed up to vote, she was told, you'll have a democratic card, we won't check on your status because Maryland is a democratic state. She said okay, and promply signed up as a Republican. the person registering her, saw what she wrote, ripped it up and cused her out. This should not happen.

Interesting that would happen to you, some one who is sooooo Republican....you won't mind placing your hand on the Bible and repeating that would you???......When I registered they never asked what party....in Ga, I don't think you register as one party or the other, just as a voter.

I had a rather difficult time getting registered myself.....My senior class was registered as a group when someone came to the school shortly before we graduated....I was sick that day and missed it. To go and register after that, I needed to go to the county court house- 20 miles away.....School, college in another town, another county 40 miles from the registrar....

After I graduated, I moved to another county, I worked weekdays, the registration location I could find was not open weekends. Fortunatly I went to the grocery store one day, and there was a group registering voters!!

I think it was the League of Women Voters...the group that sponsors debates...no crooks, no questions about party.....just showed my driver license, they mailed me a card, that I still carry. I have voted at different times for Republicans and at others for Democrats...I have the crazy idea that I should vote for the person, not the party.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
In Maryland, we have the moter voter thing going on. When you apply for a driver's license you are asked if you want to register to vote. Maryland also has a law that states one can not vote in a primary unless you are registered to that party. If you want to vote in Maryland, you have to choose a party. I do know that when I turned 18 in Georgia, I registered as a Democrat. I was asked which party I wanted to join.

You can vote for anyone you want in a general election here, but not in the primaries.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I dont think voter drives in concept are wrong. I did this at my church and around town. Many people dont know where to go and register in some states and sometime people dont know you have to. Yes some say that is bad and you shouldnt vote if you dont know, i think different. Its not gettin incompetent voters to vote or lazy people to vote. I think even if you cox them into registereing you still have no guarentee they will.

AThe one thing i do have a problem with is something the Republican party did with our school (well offered) we have a tars club. If we were to tabulate and document how many new republican voters you get they pay you $2 a head. What is up with that. That is wrong in every way.

I think we need strict federal guidelines on votign instead of the states deciding. IF becoem too complicated. Take away that right.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Seems like that is a recipee for voter fraud. What is so wrong with letting people do the work themselves. this is not voter disenfranchisement, anyone who is eligible should vote, a citizen should care enough to go register.

And a citizen should be able to go out and register people. When 'mickey mouse' shows up to vote, he'll get turned away. Why is it a recipe for fraud to have identities verififed at the polling stations?

But how do you police it?

With police. If people are doing something illegal when registering people to allow them to vote, then thats something the police take care of.

how do you decide that someone has gone to far?

Break the law= goes too far

seems to me that this is just fraught with voter fraud.

Voter fraud is when a person not registered to vote votes, or when someone shows up multiple times to vote or when people are fraudulently purged from voting lists, or when people aren't given provisional ballots for showing up to the wrong voting station. Registering people isn't voter fraud, its registration fraud.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by Nygdan]

new topics

top topics

join