It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious to hear points of view on Home Invasions from Anti-Gun population.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by FirstCasualty

And what does that have to do with home invasions? That is the topic of this thread I belive

More weopons dont protect people from.weapons un the long run. Sure i could have got a gun to defend myself. One more gun potentially put on the street if it gets stolen just to wind up in someone elses face during another home invasion.

Sorry for being Phylisophical.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Well. I've thought about it but I can't really do much about it here in Canada.
Which is why I mastered the Martial arts. And i'd say do the same honestly, if you can.
. . .
If someone invaded my home with a gun, well.. let nature take it's course. It's him or me in that moment.
Since I am unarmed i'd have to be extremely careful and attempt to lure him in as close as possible.

While I have no fear of home invasion your above scenario has more "ifs" than I want, when faced with the situation.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

okay I misunderstood what you were trying to say.....
your gun getting stolen will not make a bit of differance in the number of guns on the street....If they ban all guns today do you think bad guys wont have guns? The OP's question remains tho..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'd hate to live somewhere where I didn't feel safe unless I had a gun! Though I accept that such places exist and those living there perhaps have no choice.

Fortunately, I live in England where I don't even worry about locking my door

I'm more likely to be hit by a tornado than ever encounter an armed assailant. I need a gun like I need a nuclear submarine.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
an opinion:

I am a conscientious objector in the truest sense, meaning that i would never kill, not even in my own defense. in 35 years of life I have never so much as thrown a punch. perhaps it's cliche, but words and ideas are the true power....and require no physical defense. (truths are self-evident)

I do often see the patriotic slogan of "dying for one's country", but so often it seems to mean that the person would KILL for their country, death is a job hazard.

so, if people are willing to die for their idealisms, then presenting this willingness to your would-be killer is the most powerful action you can take. martyrdom is an extremely powerful idea which most forms of tyranny will avoid at all cost. the collective voice of the people would exclaim "they will not kill us all"....and the wielder of death-fear becomes at once impotent.

in the case that no altruistic purpose can be served, I still say that it is better to not forfeit one's integrity in the senseless fighting for survival. humanity (biology) has played that book, and IMO it is time to continue onward to the next frontier.

life is not "not dead". take your integrity back.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I don't usually worry about home invasion too much because we've got a great "alarm system" with our nine dog pack - they're all caged inside at night and not much of an obstacle if there were home invaders. Dogs and guns with signs outside discouraging invaders to keep out of the locked, gated free-fire zone known as the front yard and ready access to protection in the private areas of the house. The only things I've had to shoot were skunks.

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
A man's home is his castle and in most states you can defend it, your family and property with deadly force if your home is invaded or broken into. The tricky part is when you confront a prowler outside your home and shoot him (or shoot him from inside as was the case in Phoenix recently)....but if he appears to reach for a weapon then I guess if it is a good enough rationale for the police to end a life then it is good enough for citizens.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Great discussion. I agree that an alarm system and dogs, are a great combination, and are probably good enough to eliminate circa 90% of the risk, and can certainly create enough psychological comfort for most people.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Fear can do strange things, and this is the risk of an untrained homeowner keeping a loaded firearm. Knowing the law in your area is the first step; even before purchasing a firearm. Personally, I have a plan which I drill, to try to keep the situation in my control, and to minimize damage from false alarms. When to run, when to ID the possible invader, when to call 911, where is it safe to fire....etc. Planning is the key to safety, as always.

Last time I called 911 it was for a medical emergency. It took 45 minutes for state police to show up. They beat the volunteer ambulance here.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have guns but i also have a old Barnett Crossbow a long bow and baseball bat along with bear repellant and a 200,000 volt cattle prod.

The only thing the home invader has to worry about is how long the pain will last.

The gun is for the last minute surprise as in most cases it will take long enough to break into my RV that i will have time to get ready to take the person out in the most painful manor possible.

Then if he survives the cops can have him and he will be begging to be arrested.

I may even take embarrassing photos so that the person never wants to come back to town when he gets out of jail..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
First, I fully support your right to own guns. I own one. I don't think I've touched it in the past 15 years, but it's there.

Almost exclusively, burglars are looking to break in when you are not home. They know you might have a gun, and they know the chances of getting caught or shot are pretty good. If they think you are not home, break in, and find that you are home, the most common response is to run like hell.

Obviously there are exceptions such as the drugged out invader, desperate for a fix, but overall, they run if you are actually home, gun or no gun.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
an opinion:

I am a conscientious objector in the truest sense, meaning that i would never kill, not even in my own defense. in 35 years of life I have never so much as thrown a punch. perhaps it's cliche, but words and ideas are the true power....and require no physical defense. (truths are self-evident)

I do often see the patriotic slogan of "dying for one's country", but so often it seems to mean that the person would KILL for their country, death is a job hazard.

so, if people are willing to die for their idealisms, then presenting this willingness to your would-be killer is the most powerful action you can take. martyrdom is an extremely powerful idea which most forms of tyranny will avoid at all cost. the collective voice of the people would exclaim "they will not kill us all"....and the wielder of death-fear becomes at once impotent.

in the case that no altruistic purpose can be served, I still say that it is better to not forfeit one's integrity in the senseless fighting for survival. humanity (biology) has played that book, and IMO it is time to continue onward to the next frontier.
life is not "not dead". take your integrity back.

From CNN on a trial of home invaders (USA) youtu.be... where mom, and two daughters were killed....Oh 911 was called from the bank when mom went to get money for the B.G.s Hard to reason with evil

youtu.be... evil is evil

youtu.be... Woman got a gun the very day she was broken into. 911 call time passes

youtu.be... store robbery stopped by CHL comments interesting

youtu.be... on the phone with 911 during break in. Not nice to hear

A happy ending for a CHL; no life loss...youtu.be...

youtu.be... 69 year old stops threat with no loss of life ( B.G. had 26 prior convictions) so much for the justice system, no?

Just a few examples and there are countless others that never make youtube or the national news.

www.thearmedcitizen.com...

The National Self-Defense Survey indicated that there were 2.5 million incidents of defensive gun use per year in the U.S. during the 1988-1993 period. This is probably a conservative estimate, for two reasons. First, cases of respondents intentionally withholding reports of genuine defensive-gun uses were probably more common than cases of respondents reporting incidents that did not occur or that were not genuinely defensive. Second, the survey covered only adults age 18 and older, thereby excluding all defensive gun uses involving adolescents, the age group most likely to suffer a violent victimization. The authors concluded that defensive uses of guns are about three to four times as common as criminal uses of guns. The National Self-Defense Survey confirmed the picture of frequent defensive gun use implied by the results of earlier, less sophisticated surveys.
Old study from before most states had CHL permits or Castle Laws

* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16] * Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

Reading the above statistics makes one wonder about the odds of anyone in the USA living a life and not becoming a statistic? Myself and my friends do not live in fear yet we also do not live in La-La- land believing it always happens to someone else; therefore we take prudent precautions. I am responsible for my life and my loved ones...someone breaks in we go to the most secure room in the house if time allows and call 911. If a B.G continues into safe room after I let them know I am armed then they are DRT or I die trying to defend. Simple option for me.

Dad's neighborhood was experiencing break-ins while people were at work; he was retired. Not wanting to be a victim he placed an old single shot 16g shotgun next to his favorite recliner chair in the living room. Sure enough one bright and sunny day while reading there was a knock on his door. Dad was old and it took him a minute or two to get from the chair to the door; he took the shotgun with him planning on looking through the peep hole.. About half way there the door was busted in and one very large individual was stopped dead in his tracks by the muzzle of the shotgun. Dad yells and B.G. hollers don't shoot as he runs from the house to his waiting care being driven by what was later found to be the guys girlfriend. They were captured because dad got the license number.
edit on 3-1-2013 by 727Sky because: vid did not work

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
For all the people saying "call 911" I can bring up audio of people being murdered while on the phone with 911.

I can bring up audio of a woman being choked, until you hear the gun shots, the cops never helped her. After wasted time asking the police for help, a friend lent her a gun and it saved her life when the stalker invaded her home.

You want to talk about points of view on Home Invasions from Anti-Gun population?
Ask an Australian, they never had a home Invasion until they ban guns.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zayonara

I can't have dogs where I live, and I have allergies now. (never had them before when I had two red dobermans)
I have no allergies to my guns, and I am allowed to have them.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by zayonara
Home invasions are a real threat.

Let's define "home invasion" first... it's entry of an occupied building with intent to burglarize. We'll rule out relationship invasions (parent charging in to kill/kidnap, lover breaking into a house to kill ex-lover and new inamorato.)

Your chances of being burglarized each year of your life are about 7 in 1000: www2.fbi.gov... Much of this is fairly petty theft like we have in the neighborhood -- someone breaks into your tool shed and swipes your lawn mower or steals bikes or breaks out the windows of cars parked on the street and rifles through them for what they can get. The number of "got into the house" burglaries is smaller, and the "got into the house with someone there" is even smaller than that.

In my head, I cannot even imagine the terror of a middle of the night break-in. My family is here. This is our castle. What would I do? It might be a reasonable invader that may simply tie us up and take our replaceable things, or it might be a mad man out for blood or rape. How do I plan for that?

Alarms on the doors and windows (we have them that chime when a door is opened) and/or dog that barks. Doesn't have to be a big dog, just a dog. People who commit burglaries aren't fond of having an alert household waiting for them and will usually just split.

Is it simply a matter of principal that guns, no matter what, should not be in the home? How do you rationalize not being able to defend?

I do NOT want guns in the house, and the one time we had one (I got possession of my father-in-law's gun after his death and was going to hand it over to the police) it made me very uncomfortable.

However, you are very wrong about my not being able to defend. My windows are defended by rosebushes (which are entirely too much trouble to climb through -- but if I need to escape, tossing a blanket over the prickly things gives me a quick out.) I have nice strong doors which lock automatically. We have a system of lights that makes it look like the house is occupied, even when we're gone. The back fence is fairly high. We have lights that come on automatically when there's movement and we have monitoring cameras. If someone gets into my yard, we've got the evidence against and I will hand it over to the cops AND investigate a civil lawsuit.

It will take them a lot of time and a lot of noise to get in my house -- and meanwhile I have multiple escape routes (side doors, back doors, windows.) I am not stupid enough to think I can take on 3-4 men, even if someone armed me with a gun.

My neighborhood also protects me -- we all have small-ish yards and neighbors do call the police if there's an unusual noise. And the neighbor's dogs bark at lots of things.

My plan is "get out of their way, and let trained professionals handle it."

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Trained professionals? Wasnt there a police officer in New York, that was a trained officer? Didn't he shoot the suspect and like 9 innocent bystanders. If the situation was truely life or death I would not want that guy protecting me? I wrote a reply earlier about mecian cartel hitmen. I read stories all the time about cartel hitmen getting the wrong house/ person and killing innocent people. I know I would be no match for an cartel assasin, but I would much rather have an "out" option then just sittting there. Like someone said earlier i couldnt even imagine beeing in a life or death situation and having no options. Just sitting there dumbfounded, kill me? Everyone says well you are more likely to die in a car crash. That is why you pay attention to everybody and everything going on around you. Dont let it run your life, but just anaylsis everything (people, places, things, etc.) You will learn more about them, your surrondings, and just generally be more in touch with whats going on around you.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
For everyone counting on your dogs to protect you I invite you to take a look at This , a local news put dogs to the test, several home owners were suprised that the dogs they had counted on protecting them failed to do so..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

and you somehow think that banning weapons will stop at guns?

it never stops

until the masses are completely defenseless..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I really hope many anti-gun people see this reply.

Last Christmas, we lived in a gated, planned subdivision/community. The house next to us was well over 4000 square feet, and had just finished extensive remodeling inside & out. Between the construction, electronic, landscape and pool professionals who worked on the job, there were men in and out of that property every day for almost a month. And most likely, all those different professions simply assumed those that were there were either one or the other there to do their job.
A close friend of the homeowner was the contractor for the job. But as everyone knows, it's only a matter of time before someone slips through the cracks, so to speak. And that is regardless of how "safe" you think your neighborhood is, or how unlikely anything tragic would actually happen to you or someone you know.
On a Saturday morning in December at around 9am, my daughters were playing out in the backyard on their new swing set and heard gunshots, screaming and fighting coming from the neighbor's home. Two men, dressed as city water maintenance employees had appeared at the front door of our neighbor, and when the door was answered, they claimed to be city water maintenance and said there was a problem with their water and if they could come inside and check the pressure & the meter. Our neighbor first began to step back to let them in, but then reconsidered as he pointed out that the meter wasn't in the house, but outside in the yard. At that time, the men forced their way in & a struggle ensued.
The only other people in the house were his pregnant wife and toddler child. She managed to make her way through the front door with her son, as her husband managed to make his way upstairs to their bedroom for his gun. Both criminals had guns and the one that chased the pregnant wife and child out the front door, put his to her head and told her to either get back in the house or he was going to kill her, all the while holding her screaming toddler son in her arms. As she was being dragged back into her home, where the criminals intended to zip tie she and her husband AND THEIR BABY, her husband finally reached his gun and began firing it at the criminal accomplice. Our neighbor was shot in the lower portion of his body as he began to defend himself from his attackers.
THE ONLY REASON THE CRIMINALS LEFT THE PREMISES IS BECAUSE THE HOMEOWNER HAD A GUN AND USED IT.

No matter how many times this is said, it still doesn't seem to sink in for the anti-gun crowd:

CRIMINALS DON'T FOLLOW GUN LAWS,

THEY ONLY HURT LEGAL GUN OWNERS

news link

edit on 3-1-2013 by stupid girl because: fix link

edit on 3-1-2013 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think we are only at the relative beginning of society's collapse. Home invasion is not that common where I live but then we have a castle law here and gun shows draw thousands here just about every month. We have concealed carry and open carry. No law maker in his right mind from my state would back a gun control bill. Our biggest crime statistic is small time hood rats sticking up convenience and liquor stores while so stoned they do not consider that the owner is likely armed and ready with security cameras.

In the future is these swishy congresscritters decide they want to try and take them off the street they will likely see more guns than they bargained for.

Keep your firearms at the ready, train and then train some more and stay fresh. In a home invasion you have the home field advantage. Work with your neighbors. Teach your kids firearms safety as well and secure them if children are present in the home. Consider a hide and load spot that provides good cover and concealment.

If they manage to put a gun ban in place at the Federal level we will have more serious home invaders to worry about. Both the Jackbooted thug kind and the criminal gang type. I guess that might end up being the same thing. The difference between the corporation security / police and the other criminal gangs is that they have the color or law and all the resources they can confiscate.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join