It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious to hear points of view on Home Invasions from Anti-Gun population.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
My only reasons for keeping firearms are for home defense, and some range practice. Let's not argue over what kind of firearms should and should not be legal to keep in the home. That's not my interest here. What I am interested in is the psychology behind keeping a firearm for defense, versus not.

newyork.cbslocal.com...

Home invasions are a real threat. In my head, I cannot even imagine the terror of a middle of the night break-in. My family is here. This is our castle. What would I do? It might be a reasonable invader that may simply tie us up and take our replaceable things, or it might be a mad man out for blood or rape. How do I plan for that? I plan for the worse.

Now for you folks that don't have a plan. Is it that you are not worried about it? Think it will never happen? Will deal with it peacfully somehow? Is it simply a matter of principal that guns, no matter what, should not be in the home? How do you rationalize not being able to defend?

Speak to me. Lets keep it civil.

edit on 3-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
911!!!

2nd

Gs

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Last time I called 911, it took 45 minutes. No joke.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I personally have a distaste for guns, though I respect someone's right to have them for home defense. I have a good home security system, and 2 large, very protective dogs, so I usually sleep pretty good at night. I knew someone who had guns in the home who suffered a home invasion. They couldn't get to their guns fast enough (had them put away for the kiddos' sakes). Luckily, they were able to call 911, and their dogs basically scared away the intruders until the police could get there. I don't think these intruders had guns though - I think they had other weapons (knives, bats).

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GermanShep
911!!!

2nd

Gs

They'll come just in time to put you in a body-bag.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zayonara
Last time I called 911, it took 45 minutes. No joke.

Did you call them because someone had broken into your house while you were at home or was it due to an incident that is not a home invasion?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
here in Texas we are bad to the bone
first, if there's time ask the perpetrator if that's really what he wants to do....., then spray him.....spray him good. one doesn't need lethal for everytime.
spray him with what?....why, silly string....no.....raid, yep, that's the ticket.(psaw)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'm sorry if is seems primitive, but if somebody breaks into my home, I'm assuming the worst and taking them out before they hurt my loved ones or myself. I don't own a gun but I do want to get one for this reason.

I've got a very nice Bowie knife right at my bedside just in case

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It was only by chance that i was able to fend off a gun packing invader and his pepper spray packin buddy with nothing mpre than a drywall hatchet.

When it was all over sitting on my front steps surrounded by emergency vehicles, I wasnt thinking to myself that i too need a gun to defend myself from guns. I was wondering how the hell with all the checks and balances are there still these kind of weapons on the street.

It was pure reflexes and will to survive that got me through that. I hope i never live in a society that requires me to plan to harm others for my own safety. More responcibility needs to be put on gun owners private and government to ensure they dont get in the wrong hands.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I live in the UK, got my trusty old Barnett Commando 250lb Crossbow and bolts not far from my bed.
It will certainly discourage the first guy who intends walking up my stairs, and being the UK it is unlikely that the intruder is carrying a gun.
...the best I can do in a legislatively restrictive situation.

www.icollector.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
For those that think calling 911 is the answer....what do you do when the Police fail to respond in time? Or at all?
is it worth a family members life to risk that the police can make it in time?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
For those that think calling 911 is the answer....what do you do when the Police fail to respond in time? Or at all?

And thats why we have atomic, chemical and biological weapons amoung numerous other violent weapons.

And thats why we spend billions trying to find even deadlier weapons.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
About 20 yrs ago, I thought I was being broken into, Turns out 3 kids smashed a pumpkin through my bow window at 2am.
I came down the steps loading the shotgun. I heard them scream, he's gotta gun. The distinct noise of a shotgun being loaded is usually enough to scare anyone away.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

And what does that have to do with home invasions? That is the topic of this thread I belive

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
When seconds count the cops are minutes away and in big cities that could be hours.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty

And thats why we have atomic, chemical and biological weapons amoung numerous other violent weapons.

WTF?

2nd

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Well. I've thought about it but I can't really do much about it here in Canada.
Which is why I mastered the Martial arts. And i'd say do the same honestly, if you can.

You feel a lot more relaxed knowing you don't need a gun for defence if they get close enough.
The other half of my discipline is the art of free running. I'm exactly how you imagine ninjas..

If someone invaded my home with a gun, well.. let nature take it's course. It's him or me in that moment.
Since I am unarmed i'd have to be extremely careful and attempt to lure him in as close as possible.

And to be quite frank, 2 people were shot in their home on New Years just up the street.
I probably should feel some type of fear in a way but I don't. I know exactly what i'd do, it's my job.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I personally have a distaste for guns, though I respect someone's right to have them for home defense. I have a good home security system, and 2 large, very protective dogs, so I usually sleep pretty good at night. I knew someone who had guns in the home who suffered a home invasion. They couldn't get to their guns fast enough (had them put away for the kiddos' sakes). Luckily, they were able to call 911, and their dogs basically scared away the intruders until the police could get there. I don't think these intruders had guns though - I think they had other weapons (knives, bats).

I have a good alarm too and a good dog, but then something like Katrina could happen and all that goes out the window.

One thing I found interesting during that storm is the Korean shop owners had armed family/workers on their roofs and those shops were never broken into or robbed by flash mobs as all the other were.

That was a very good lesson...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty

Great point.

It's how we keep people from doing harm to us. That's why it's called a deterrent.

Or should we go first and disarm and hope all the bad guys follow suit?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Well. I've thought about it but I can't really do much about it here in Canada.
Which is why I mastered the Martial arts. And i'd say do the same honestly, if you can.

You feel a lot more relaxed knowing you don't need a gun for defence if they get close enough.
The other half of my discipline is the art of free running. I'm exactly how you imagine ninjas..

If someone invaded my home with a gun, well.. let nature take it's course. It's him or me in that moment.
Since I am unarmed i'd have to be extremely careful and attempt to lure him in as close as possible.

And to be quite frank, 2 people were shot in their home on New Years just up the street.
I probably should feel some type of fear in a way but I don't. I know exactly what i'd do, it's my job.

Middle of the night wakeup call against a bat or more than one person...would be extremely difficult thing to overcome.

I actually keep my clips separate from my gun, but I practice getting them in darkness. It takes me about 15 seconds to be fully armed ready to go and since I have a two story house it would take a person even if they knew where to go longer than that to get to me, so guns work for me very well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join