It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US govt accused of deception over Megaupload

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

US govt accused of deception over Megaupload

www.stuff.co.nz

Lawyers acting for Megaupload have accused the United States Justice Department of intentionally misleading a US court when applying for a search warrant that it later used to seize and take down the file-sharing service.

Megaupload said in a submission today to the US Federal Court in Virginia that the Justice Department had claimed Megaupload had failed to remove 36 pirated movies from its servers for more than a year, when it knew all along that the company was actually co-operating in a secret criminal investigation over the offending content.

Ira Rothken, the lawyer leading Megaupl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If you read this story it looks like KDC was cooperating with the authorities , than he was burned by them .

"Megaupload had every reason to retain those files in good faith because the Government had sought and obtained Megaupload's cooperation in retrieving the files and warned that alerting users to ... the Government's interest in the files could compromise the investigation,"

I think Mega upload was set up so all other file sharing sites would be to scared to continue hosting .

www.stuff.co.nz

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
KDC and his ilk have ruined the sharing community and turned it in to a cash making venture...... hope he rots.

LLT
LLFTP
LLTS
edit on 3-1-2013 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock

If you read this story it looks like KDC was cooperating with the authorities , than he was burned by them .

"Megaupload had every reason to retain those files in good faith because the Government had sought and obtained Megaupload's cooperation in retrieving the files and warned that alerting users to ... the Government's interest in the files could compromise the investigation,"

I think Mega upload was set up so all other file sharing sites would be to scared to continue hosting .

www.stuff.co.nz

Or possibly a problem with different agencies or people not communicating. Either way warrant should not have been issued.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
KDC and his ilk have ruined the sharing community and turned it in to a cash making venture...... hope he rots.

LLT
LLFTP
LLTS

There is different ways of making money. A record company will actually refuse to release a product to the public, or through distribution channels if they feel they are not getting what they deserve out of it.

They will purposely shelve things, just to create a demand for them.

On the other hand, KDC was trying to earn money through ad revenue. Ad revenue is a very simple economic principle. Someone has a product, they pay another to get that product exposure to a set demographic.

No different than how ATS makes money from people visiting the site. Every now and then an ad pops up I might find useful. Hey, that's not such a bad trade off. I get to surf this cool website, it gets to make money for me surfing, and once in awhile something comes up that I need and I buy it.

Win/win/win, from every angle.

The alternative would be ATS having content, but not letting me see it unless I pay x amount of dollars. Oh, by the way, did you know not enough people came online last sunday? So from now on, ATS is shut down on Sundays. U

See the difference?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
One thing is for sure...I'll NEVER trust KDC in the future, as he obviously wasn't interested in protecting his users.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Megaupload was as big as it was because it paid uploaders, uploaders who took from the scene to make a quick buck and as soon as it went down they moved to other file lockers that pay uploaders. They are just as bad as the people down the market selling copied cds.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
U.S. government deception? Never

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
An international paramilitary raid over 36 movies?

I knew some guys in college with terabytes of software, videos and music being served out 24/7.

I should have been a g-man if just to see how the bureaucracy functions. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the stuff they charge in gung-ho for and the stuff they ignore.

Even locally SWAT teams will get called out for the most mundane things while a few towns over a couple of uniformed cops will knock on a door to get a murder suspect.

I dont get it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think they are stalling and doing it on purpose for publicity. I think they have enough money in Swiss bank accounts to keep them out of serious trouble.. this is peanuts to them - they are that rich.

Just check out these stats:

Unique visitors: 82,764,913
Page Views (in history): over 1,000,000,000
Visitors per day: 50,000,000
Reach: 4%
Registered Members: 180,000,000
Storage: 25 petabyte (25000 terabyte)
Once the 13th most visited site on the Internet
According to Sandvine, MegaUpload accounted for 1% of total traffic on fixed access networks in North America.
In a proceeding before the High Court of New Zealand on 2 February 2012, Kim Dotcom stated that Megaupload was "hosting 12 billion unique files for over 100 million users."

en.wikipedia.org...

They are Back and they are Here to Stay.

Mega the new Megaupload will launch on January 19. en.wikipedia.org...

Here's the URL: mega.co.nz...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Here in Asheville NC just a few weeks ago, we had Homeland Security raiding a couple local headshops. Homeland Security, rather than fighting terrorism, or whatever the hell they do, were confiscating glass pipes.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If KDC was not around w/ Megaupload, there was still rapidshare, badongo, and like 2 dozen others. People were already on to this, making money of this technique, so eventually they were going to come after the biggest one.

US Gov does whatever they want and are always manipulating judges and warrants. How the efff do they have jurisdiction in New Zealand anyway? What is this Team America feck yeahhh! ?????

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

They went after rapidshare and rs held out for a long time until they recently folded and killed themselves.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas

They went after rapidshare and rs held out for a long time until they recently folded and killed themselves.

yea but when you go out there now, and search the net for albums, movies, pdf books, there is a vast new generation of RS's and mega's everywhere.

Not much has changed. Piratebay is down alot, not sure who the kins is anymore. If I recall correctly, before all the megas and rs's, you had to log on to hacker boards/servers and chat there to trade or get anything

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Yeah, other people saw money in it

ftp sites (fun times) then torrents at least that was my route.

top topics

join