It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canned carrots don't have to taste bad!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Okay, so this may not end up being the most flagged thread ever, but...
I hated the taste of canned carrots. They taste like burnt caramel and veggie.

So one day I asked myself...why don't carrots taste bad in canned soup?

Then it hit me. I canned up a jar of carrots using water that I added chicken soup base to
until it was a pleasant taste and canned the carrots with it.

Bingo. Sure, its still the canned texture, but the flavor was good. So if you live in a northern area
and don't have a root cellar, try it, It works well.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Nice tip.
I usually just dump the water and boil in butter with maybe a little pepper.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Sorry to burst the bubble...
but ALL carrots taste bad.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

They will taste better LOL Not fantastic, but as good as they do in soup. I'm guessing the same done with peas or other vegetables would give the same enhancement.

I need to try that.

Be sure to buy the soup base in the restaurant size. It won't go bad, makes a good cup o soup and has hundreds of uses including quick gravy.

edit on 2-1-2013 by winterkill because: added material

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
You're pressure canning your carrots in chicken broth? I have never heard of this. How does this affect the PH? I'll take reliable sources for this method if you have them. But I never mess around with processing times or adding ingredients unless I'm sure it's safe. Improper canning can kill you after all.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato
You're pressure canning your carrots in chicken broth? I have never heard of this. How does this affect the PH? I'll take reliable sources for this method if you have them. But I never mess around with processing times or adding ingredients unless I'm sure it's safe. Improper canning can kill you after all.

Definitely make sure this is pressure canning. Carrots do not have a high enough acid to can in water or otherwise by themselves.Unless you are pickling veggies, pressure can. Pressure canning adds enough heat to kill anything that might be in with the carrots. Normal water bath cannot which is why vinegar is used to pickle. This goes the same for most vegetables. Pressure can for absolute safety and durability.

Thanks for bringing that up!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Canned smoked salmon is the BEST(it tastes better the longer you age it.Unfortunately I will not be catching any more salmon based on the fact that it will be contaminated with radioactive isotopes(but I do have enough for the next five years so cannot complain). I still have jars from 1997-and they are good(2002 was the best because that year came after a four year COHO BAN.But I scarfed that down already). One thing that puzzles me though is that my grandma has been growing a garden for over 15 years-and she has never canned carrots(I'll keep your advice in mind.But now I have new questions to ask my grandma.And I'm the only person in my family that is learning how to grow and preserve food.)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Best book out there if you are wanting to learn it all. Stocking Up.
Grab it on amazon cheap. The only thing I think it doesn't have, is my tip on carrots LOL

www.amazon.com...=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stocking+up

Buy a used copy, it still has it all and save some bucks.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I did do some research on this and some people do do this - chicken broth or stock takes 20 minutes at 11 lbs pressure and carrots take 25 minutes, so it appears to be safe at the normal processing time for carrots. Thanks for the tip! I may try this next summer.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
sensible preppers taking the "rot" flavor out of carrot

top topics

join