It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland task force recommends taking away guns from people who pose threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The Maryland task force wants to take away guns from people who pose threats:

A Maryland panel studying firearms access by mentally ill residents recommends that firearms should be seized if a licensed health care provider, educator or member of law enforcement finds a person poses a threat that is substantiated in an investigation by law enforcement.

Link: www.nbcwashington.com...

At first I thought this would be a good idea, but now I don't, since now if you say one thing that might be considered a threat, you might never be able to own a gun again,
so now I think this is not a very good idea.

Mods, I apologize if this in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to put it.
edit on 2-1-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
In an age where the government can consider being overweight a national security issue; I am very concerned what they would define as a threat. Sounds like a "spit on the sidewalk" pretext to me.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I would definitely--and I mean most definitely--draw the line at educators. We've already seen what they did over a poem the other day. Christ, they'd have everybody in the country disarmed in a matter of days....

ETA: This one Girl suspended from school for Sandy Hook poem

edit on 1/2/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This is getting scary.

First all they have to do is label someone as terrorist and they can execute any citizen without any due process.

Now they can just label someone as a threat , now your 2nd amendment is gone as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
A licensed medical professional is shady enough but extending this power to any member of law enforcement?

Yeah, no room for horrible abuses there.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

In theory, it sounds like a great idea. I don't think anyone can argue that mentally ill should not be in possession of firearms. However, subjectively it could be a nightmare. A judge maybe, doctor perhaps, an educator, no way.
edit on 4-1-2013 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

Nobody outside the legal system should have the ability make a determination about your RIGHTS. Unless a person has broken the law and lost his/her right to bear arms they deserve to be left alone.

People need to stop trying to protect us from ourselves! This is getting ridiculous. If you do-gooders can’t see that you’re helping people with nefarious motives to disarm your fellow countrymen then you’re a buffoon!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
HAHAHAHA! Good luck with that....... Ever been to baltimore? You can see how well they were able to disarm bad guys........

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Unless you define "mentally ill" specifically, it is null and void. I am so sick and tired of broad, sweeping, feelgood, open to interpretation laws being passed.

And since when do "mentally ill" people lose their god given right to defend themselves? In my mind, the only people that should not have guns, are those that commit crimes with guns. Period.

This precrime crap needs to stop.
edit on Fri, 04 Jan 2013 18:00:17 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

This precrime crap needs to stop.

Remember the movie Minority Report. Scary stuff. It's only a matter of time.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I don't think I am alone, I will not ever be taken alive again. Rather die taking out as many tyrant enforcers as I can than live in a cage like some rabid animal. Spent too much time in a cage when I was falsely accused of a crime. I was not rich, so couldn't afford the "bail". It will never happen again, waiting in a cage, and paying a liar money out my ass to help me prove my innocence. To hell with that. For real.

top topics

join