It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senators vote against Sandy relief

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Interesting........

The request, which still needs the approval of Congress, includes billions in urgently needed aide. But it also features some surprising items: $23 million for tree plantings to “help reduce flood effects, protect water sources, decrease soil erosion and improve wildlife habitat” in forested areas touched by Sandy; $2 million to repair roof damage at Smithsonian buildings in Washington that pre-dates the storm; $4 million to repair sand berms and dunes at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida; and $41 million for clean-up and repairs at eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The FBI is seeking $4 million to replace “vehicles, laboratory and office equipment and furniture,” while Customs and Border Protection wants $2.4 million to replace “destroyed or damaged vehicles, including mobile X-Ray machines.”

The relief package also includes a whopping $13 billion request for “mitigation projects” to prepare for future storms. These line items, and dozens more like them, have some Republicans balking at the size of the relief request and calling for more time to review the deal. The $60 billion price tag, they say, represents nearly the entire amount of additional revenue the government would collect next year by raising rates on the top 2 percent of taxpayers, as Democrats desire.

Sandy Aid Package Includes Millions for Smithsonian, Space Center, Forests

It appears to me that all of this is Sandy related.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The federal government only exist to be the lazy form of government that rapes everyone of their hard earned money while they do nothing but sell us out to more corporations, banksters and strip us away from more of our rights. The federal government is a sham and everyone falls for the two political party system. Federal government is a business, they don't want to help citizens. They just want our money.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This is an outrage and absolutely chickenpoop! (I'd love to use a more colorful term..imagine away)

They have the unmitigated gall to be a part of passing this 'all spend, no cut' nightmare of a "solution" that just sealed our fate. Oh they kicked the can ...but I don't think they care it hit a brick wall at the end of the road this time.

After that....After they do that to us... They are going to sit there and tell the disaster victims in NJ, NY and CT they can eat cake?! No money for you little people, so sowwy? Oh ... I think NOT.

If the local party doesn't run someone against Blunt when he comes back up? It's for this and a half dozen other things like it I'll be voting for the Dem... sadly...AGAIN.. (Akin forced me to vote McCaskill and I still can't believe I had to do that!
). I've done it once though, so Blunt can join his brother in retirement and none too soon with stunts like this. Oh he has SOME NERVE with all else that's happened in the very recent past.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here is a link to the actual bill (112HR1):

Sandy Bill

With the wording present, I wouldn't vote it through either.

Only a handful of items are earmarked specifically for Hurricane Sandy specific damages. The remainder are vague enough that they could be used for almost anything.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The Federal Emergency Management Agency will release $190 million in disaster aid to help New York City recover from superstorm Sandy, New York's senators announced Tuesday. The Obama administration will send $114 million to help repair New York University's Langone Medical Center, and another $75 million to the NYPD to cover staffing costs due to the storm, Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand said. This is the second round of funding announced by FEMA for recovery efforts in New York. Last week, FEMA said it would give Nassau County $16 million and the city of Long Beach $24 million to help pay for cleanup costs.

FEMA releases $190M for NYC Sandy disaster aid

Aid has been given. I don't know why people are not up in arms with FEMA or the President as to where the aid should have went. I donated to the relief effort, and so did millions of other people. 13 BILLION dollar blank check, is a lot of money. WHY hide that in the bill??? If "we the people" don't know where its going, why should we pay for it? Its a legitimate question.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by kingking

Conservatives have been propagating the idea that America has been hijacked by a closet muslim, communist,
who is trying to turn America into the USSR.

Stop lying to yourself jack.

Thought this was about Sandy relief ?

It's about the state of politics the GOP have perpetuated.

They are so petulant and dis-functional that they undermine every attempt to fix the mess they
helped to establish.. then they point the finger.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingking

It's about the state of politics the GOP have perpetuated.

They are so petulant and dis-functional that they undermine every attempt to fix the mess they
helped to establish.. then they point the finger.

Oh.
And I thought it was just BASH the GOP day. Never mind the rest of the idiots cant have a finger pointed in their direction. Your fingers are all used up !

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is a perfect highlight of the fickleness and partisanship found on ATS. Calls that our representatives actually do their jobs and be prudent throughout the year and when they do so, in this small instance, they are castrated (they, meaning Republicans) because of that prudent action.

The bill did have Sandy related relief in it, but the blood-sucking politicos needed to garner support for its passage. This is where the pork started rolling in. A representative in Alaska wants a piece of the pie, as does a representative of a large "space and science" community. Florida representatives start wondering, "hey we get hit by tornadoes all the time! Give us some money too!"

From here on out, the speaker and other representatives (democrat, republican, green, etc) should all demand that bills that dip into the treasury are clear, concise and transparent. If they continue that, I will defend this action. If not, I will be the first one to call out the speaker for playing politics with this.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
This is a perfect highlight of the fickleness and partisanship found on ATS. Calls that our representatives actually do their jobs and be prudent throughout the year and when they do so, in this small instance, they are castrated (they, meaning Republicans) because of that prudent action.

The bill did have Sandy related relief in it, but the blood-sucking politicos needed to garner support for its passage. This is where the pork started rolling in. A representative in Alaska wants a piece of the pie, as does a representative of a large "space and science" community. Florida representatives start wondering, "hey we get hit by tornadoes all the time! Give us some money too!"

From here on out, the speaker and other representatives (democrat, republican, green, etc) should all demand that bills that dip into the treasury are clear, concise and transparent. If they continue that, I will defend this action. If not, I will be the first one to call out the speaker for playing politics with this.

yeah, i hear ya...its a big scam

they will only stop when we make them...

what will it take?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cornucopia

Honestly? A more engage people. Run for congress in your district, get your friends to run. Typically only one or two challengers even try to do it. That isn't suppose to be. The House was supposed to be "of the People" or the Peoples' House as highlighted by James Madison in the Federalist Papers. If each of the incumbents up for reelection are faced with a deluge of challengers, then they and the people of that district might actually see that the current clown just ain't cutting it.

I also would say that the 17th Amendment needs to be repealed. Give the Senate back to the the States. While "direct" elections of Senators sounds nice, look what it has brought since it was ratified. The Senate, with the 17th Amendment, transferred all power to Washington and holds the states hostage to the Federal Government.

There is so much that can be done, but it all removes power from the central focal point of Washington and back to the States and the People that such actions will never happen until a large majority of people actually start getting involved in politics. Not door-to-door campaigning, not protesting, actually getting involved in their self-governing to make the changes needed.

Until then, we will see at least another year and half of this until mid-term elections. Then, even with the disdain of the People of Congress, all these clowns will be voted back in because they bring home the bacon. People want other peoples' money and that is proven by the reelection rate of incumbents.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by crankySamurai
reply to post by cornucopia

Good its NOT governments role to do that stuff. They are not here to take care of us, as if that was even possible. Their sole purpose is the defense of personal liberty. Get that straight!

Well then the government has failed miserably. It is bills like this that make it obvious that such things should not be allowed to be "packaged." It is ridiculous, and it takes away from the importance of certain issues. Everything should be voted on one at a time, and then maybe these people in Congress would actually earn their salaries, plus the large perks and bonuses they secretly receive from lobbyists.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
the gop is done, all done...

or they must change/evolve/rise in consciousness...

enjoy the show

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
those darn poor people sucking up my tax breaks !!!!

GOP is doomed

katrina aid went out in 11 days

shame on them

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join