2001: A Space Odyssey--Let's take another look

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by nake13
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I also found 2001 to be a deeply thought provoking movie,and the special effects still stand the test of time.However,my all time fravourite movie for the big screen is Bladerunner,based on Phillip K Dick's "Do androids dream of electric sheep",I find Dick's writing to be the most beautiful experience that I have had(of the printed word anyway!) and to me bladerunner perfectly captured the essence of Dick's short story completely.

Hey I haven't read much of Philip K Dick, but have read a lot about VALIS and Dick's experiences that lead him to write it.

Have you ready any of it?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Hi Hawking,yes it was the VALIS trilogy that made me aware of just how profound Dick's writing was,also the circumstances which prompted him to write it in the first place were intriguing in their own right.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
The way you describe it NB, makes me want to see it.
I never have BTW.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
The way you describe it NB, makes me want to see it.
I never have BTW.

Oh, you must! Even if you can't see it on the big screen--borrow somebody's home version of it. Heck, I'm sure you can even find it on cable TV no problem!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
And this being the website that it is, and because Kubrickian conspiracies are very fun (please visit some of the great threads already discussing the conspiracies surrounding this movie and Kubrick's career. This thread is just to discuss the movie as a brilliant piece of film and art.)

I wonder if you will see what I see in this "Beyond the Infinite" (2:05:40) effect:

(The resolution isn't so spectacular after being fed through my webcam and coughed back out by youtube.)

Of course, these effects are done through chemical means and would probably be very, very difficult, if not impossible, to intentionally produce. But I just can't help but seeing that face every time I watch this. I find it interesting that it just jumps right out at you considering the subject matter of the film. However, this is one of the few times I will concede and chalk it up to pareidolia.
edit on 3-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

2001: A Space Odyssey is a great movie.

I have also heard, that for some reason, this movie is loved by dogs as well.

Maybe there is something in the sound track that appeals to dogs. I don't know.

If you have a dog, do this test, and see if this movie will capture the attention of your dog(s).

edit on 3-1-2013 by QMask because: Added the Youtube video clip

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by QMask

There is a great thread on that right here: www.abovetopsecret.com... I would love to try this myself, but I don't have a dog.

No need! Plenty of other members have participated in this experiment with interesting results.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Thanks for the link.
Maybe this is where I first heard about it (dogs loving the movie.)

I think I will re-read this tread to see all the latest comments added to it.

Thanks again.

Edit to add: Yes NarcolepticBuddha, you were right. That thread is the place where I first heard about dogs loving the movie. Cheers.
edit on 3-1-2013 by QMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

My favourite sci-fi movie is "Sunshine".
Well, only the first three quarters of it. The movie falls apart towards the end.
But I still love the first bit.

The best part is the debate amongst the crew members, when they have to make their BIG decision.
The stakes are high, and good arguments are made both ways.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I've bookmarked the full film in 2 parts from metacafe.com.
Will be watching it soon.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
I've bookmarked the full film in 2 parts from metacafe.com.
Will be watching it soon.

Please share your impressions and thoughts on the film.
What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Although I find parts of 2001 ASO a bit long, and tad boring. It truly represented what space travel might be like, it was accurate and a wonderful contrast to most "sci-fi movies. I saw it a long time ago when I was a kid (probably why I think parts are boring).

But now as an Adult I have found myself drawn to the mysteriousness of it. What did it represent, why was it done? I actually think now it was an initiation movie of sorts describing what many believe. That we were modified or created by Aliens. The score was also what helped later movies like STARWARS become a little more timeless (although I think 2001 holds up a bit better).

Great thread made me ponder a bit as I have several times about this movie although I have not watched it completely through in years...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I did finally listen to the commentary the other night. It was interesting that they noted that Kubrick supposedly consulted with NASA to get all the docking procedures and everything right.

Now, this thread isn't exactly about the conspiracy--but it sounded like Kubrick had some inside info on how to do all the effects with the spacecraft--the look and feel of it in motion in a zero G vacuum etc. hmmmm...
edit on 4-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by QMask

I love sci-fi..the good sci-fi..the bad sci-fi. I love it all. I have never heard of Sunshine, but I will keep it on my radar the next time I go movie-hunting. Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Thank you for the well written post

I have never watched this before, I'll have ti get ahold of it next time I get a chance.

Sounds right up my alley

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I have always liked this movie and have read the other books. It is for people with Buddha properties (Knowledge Management)....and hence we know what others say...so watch and think....

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
HAL and the Starchild are straight out of the gnostic scriptures, HAL is the computer that runs the Milky Way Galaxy Matrix
Archons trying to become human fail to do so and get as far as a Starchild and then die.

I seen this movie in 1968 in an arts theater because they wouldn't show it at any of the big time theaters, there was the big sound stereo but no dolby surround sound
I read the book explains alot you can't figure out in the movie.
The sequel took forever to come out and I missed it on the big screen.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by raypsi13

the book explains alot you can't figure out in the movie.

That's how I like my Kubrick films.
I don't want to be told anything. I want to feel and to think. And I think that's what made this movie so special. It tickles the curiosity and wonderment in us.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The story goes about Clarks 2001 Space Odyssey book, the monolith came from Saturn in the original draft, because NASA is guided by the Brookings Report not to mention any ET stuff to the public, so NASA made Clark change the planet to Jupiter

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
From 1964 with Dr. Strangelove to 1999 Eyes Wide Shut I have found Kubrick to be a film making genius. And I don't use that word lightly. His movies are visually stunning, thought provoking, and an overall thing of beauty. To love Kubrick is to love film and vice versa.

I agree with the OP about everything he stated about 2001, but I can't pick it as my favorite Kubrick film. That title for me is Eyes Wide Shut. The world lost a very talented artist when he died and we are robbed of his potential creations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join