It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn aspca commercials...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Yeah THOSE commercials.
So when those come on I usually walk out of the room or whatever. I cant even stand the songs anymore. Now to the Damn YOU part. So one of our friends called me day before yesterday and says they have a dog from a bust they did, 2 arrests and the dog would go to an overcrowded shelter. He told me the dog was bald in spots, severely undernourished, had scratched its ear to shreds and was bloody, etc. That when the came in the dog hid and screamed forever the.... whole time they were making the arrest. He went over and coaxed it out from under a bed and it was wagging its tail and so humble it urinated on herself.. he gave her a snickers and some water and called me.
Damn Arms of an Angel song starts playing in my head. Willie Nelson was singing Always on my mind in my ear. Now.. I just found out Im a sucker.. a fact he already knew when he called me apparently.

Poor girl is at the vet still.. and I pick her up this Sat bald spots and all.. with meds and a several hundred dollar bill.. so far. Im sure we can tack on some more in the next few days. This Sat we will be adding a 3rd dog.. a wonderful Chocolate Lab. Damn aspca commercials... I swear to God.. those commercials came to mind when he was telling me about this dog. Im completely compromised, brainwashed, mkultra' by ASPCA commercials.. and WOOHOO!!!! I GET A NEW DOG ON SAT!!!!!!! Im so messed up .....

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I have to walk out of the room too.
So sad to see these poor animals.
I want to help them all.

Kudos to you for saving the life of one...whether it was on a commercial, or because of one, or not.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
You aren't a sucker Advantage.

You just did a favor to what will be an ever appreciative k9
- good job.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I took in a dog once that was a world class cat killer. I did everything I could to stop him from hunting down the neighbors cats. In the end I had to put him down. He was just too good at it. I never blamed him. He was just made for it. The neighbors saw it differently.

Damaged dogs require a ton of work. Please be ready for it. This girl needs to be cared for. If you aren't in a place to focus, I recommend that you find her someone that is.

But if you commit to her. Do it with all your heart

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
You aren't a sucker Advantage.

You just did a favor to what will be an ever appreciative k9
- good job.

Hey HH!! LTNS! Hope all is well with you

Hey, sucker or not its pretty cool with me! Im excited about it. Now they can STOP running those commercials!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Good for you, OP! We feel exactly the same way about our rescued dog. It's worth all the time and patience to see their personalities blossom. Our "Joe" came to us as an abuse victim who would cower when you'd try to pet him. Now, he rules the sofa and runs up to strangers on the street, wagging his tail and asking to be petted. He romps and plays like a puppy and eats organic raw venison dog food for dinner -- probably healthier than what we eat!

I can't watch those commercials, either. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but the SPCA ads tug at my heartstrings even more than the hungry kids commercials.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
I took in a dog once that was a world class cat killer. I did everything I could to stop him from hunting down the neighbors cats. In the end I had to put him down. He was just too good at it. I never blamed him. He was just made for it. The neighbors saw it differently.

Damaged dogs require a ton of work. Please be ready for it. This girl needs to be cared for. If you aren't in a place to focus, I recommend that you find her someone that is.

But if you commit to her. Do it with all your heart

Im old, have the money, and have a long history of having "used" animals, some not so gently used.
Currently I have a Chinese Hairless that its owner freaked out and got rid of him.. who is now an angel.. and a pretty rowdy Staffordshire Terrier.. all 100 lbs of his vicious looking self.. who is now a very overgrown lapdog. He was quite the challenge to deal with initially.. bulls are definitely bullheaded! Had to put my biggest dog down.. 120 lb American Bulldog due to bone cancer and not a week before her a very very elderly JRT. SO this one will be welcomed and loved by real dog loving folks who are well used to animals who are not cookie cutter types.

Good advise though.. definitely. The dogs I have had throughout my life have been FROM folks who thought they could handle it and commit but couldnt. Im the last stop for all troubled canines who come here.. aka forever home.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I cant stand those commercials. Its disturbing to see what humans do to defenseless animals.Breaks my heart to see an animal suffer.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Good for you, OP! We feel exactly the same way about our rescued dog. It's worth all the time and patience to see their personalities blossom. Our "Joe" came to us as an abuse victim who would cower when you'd try to pet him. Now, he rules the sofa and runs up to strangers on the street, wagging his tail and asking to be petted. He romps and plays like a puppy and eats organic raw venison dog food for dinner -- probably healthier than what we eat!

I can't watch those commercials, either. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but the SPCA ads tug at my heartstrings even more than the hungry kids commercials.

Its sick, but I agree on the commercial things.. shh.

yeah, when I called earlier today to see how she was coming along.. IV antibiotics for the ear.. the behaviorist me she was very skittish and shrank away when you put your hand toward her. Been there done that with hand shyness and the long process of getting to realize hands dont always hurt... some of them never grow out of it. The best they can estimate is she is 5 or 6 yrs old... so she may take a little extra time depending on how long these idiots had her. We're trying to see if she was shelter adopted by them and when.. but I doubt she was and we will be lucky if we find she adopted relatively recently. At least she wouldnt have been under this sort of "care" for her whole life.

Oh and the food thing.. ours eat Blue Buffalo.. and I cook the parts of venison I dont particularly like for them.. so they get meat too. With the crap harvest we had this past fall from the gardens.. theyre definitely eating better than we are at the moment.

edit on 2-1-2013 by Advantage because: Bison... buffalo.. whatever LOL!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'd like to see how many cents out of every dollar goes to help the animals, and how many cents goes to line the pockets of the people administering such organizations.
Like the Susan G. Komen money machine for the cure (TM).

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

Nonprofit CEO Job That Pays Over 300k #2: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was founded in 1866. It has more than one million supporters. The agency helps animal poison control, animal assisted therapy, shelter outreach and more. As of December 2008, Edwin J. Sayres earns a salary of $473,998 a year. If he were a veterinarian who treated animals who were abused, he would only earn between $55,000 and $110,000 a year. (Source: Payscale.com)

Source

Most NGO's use about 20 to 30 percent of all money for administration purposes. I don't support charity for this reason.

~Tenth
edit on 1/2/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
I'd like to see how many cents out of every dollar goes to help the animals, and how many cents goes to line the pockets of the people administering such organizations.
Like the Susan G. Komen money machine for the cure (TM).

I can imagine the commercials arent cheap and renting a singer.. well that must be a pretty penny!
Drop of bags of dog food, cat litter, cat food, and etc at your local shelters if you distrust these places.. believe me, theyll love it.
One of our shelters runs completely by donation only here.. and they accept in person donations and will write you a slip to use on your taxes if you wish.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Why should he earn five times as much as the other veterinarians? This is what's wrong with the system.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Grifter42

Nonprofit CEO Job That Pays Over 300k #2: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was founded in 1866. It has more than one million supporters. The agency helps animal poison control, animal assisted therapy, shelter outreach and more. As of December 2008, Edwin J. Sayres earns a salary of $473,998 a year. If he were a veterinarian who treated animals who were abused, he would only earn between $55,000 and $110,000 a year. (Source: Payscale.com)

Source

Most NGO's use about 20 to 30 percent of all money for administration purposes. I don't support charity for this reason.

~Tenth
edit on 1/2/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

10th... I believe it.. if not more of a percentage. The humane society here.. kill shelter.. gets donations and state money.. plus charges 100+ for most of its animals. Well the ones they think they can sell anyway. Usually older dogs and any thing that even looks like a pit is euthanized. With the economy as it is and the jobless rate in my town there are dogs/cats all over the place.. shelters are completely full and the private ones are asking for foster homes ( the ones that are no kill). Rather than give to the aspca or the like.. we just load them up on bags of food and etc. They were literally begging for blankets this year for bedding.
Im telling you, I have to respect those that volunteer at these places.. I cant imagine dealing with that day in and day out. Hell,l cant even watch the commercials.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Yeah it's pretty disgusting. Much like PETA who euthanize like 80% of all the animals they save and pocket huge sums of money every year.

Non Profit charity no longer exists in this world pretty much. now I'm not against a charity paying it's members, the people running the place need to live, but you don't need to take 30% of your donations to do so.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

He went over and coaxed it out from under a bed and it was wagging its tail and so humble it urinated on herself.. he gave her a snickers and some water and called me.

Hope it wasn't snickers the candy bar, chocolate is poisonous for dogs.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by totalperdition

He went over and coaxed it out from under a bed and it was wagging its tail and so humble it urinated on herself.. he gave her a snickers and some water and called me.

Hope it wasn't snickers the candy bar, chocolate is poisonous for dogs.

It was. It was what he had in his car and Im not beating the guy up over trying to help the animal rather than leaving it there and calling animal control to grab it with a loop around its throat and be dragged away. For future CORRECT information to keep in mind next time you wish to inform someone youre speaking with, 1 oz per pound of body weight for milk chocolate... snickers is MILK CHOCOLATE.. the entire snickers bar is a little over 2 oz and a very small portion of that is chocolate. A 2oz.Snicker bar has 29.1 mg of theobromine ....He didnt poison the dog, he was helping a screaming abused animal.
edit on 3-1-2013 by Advantage because: forgot a word..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Yeah, not trying to make your pal look bad, it's obvious his heart's in the right place. Still though...I personally just don't trust giving chocolate to dogs. Why risk it? - that's my opinion anyways.

It seems like you know more about this type of stuff than I do, although I would caution you to be careful about sharing and promoting that information as the consequences of inproper administration will be dire for a dog. You wouldn't want that on your conscience, would you?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Good lord...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Nevermind...

/Bows out gracefully.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join