Put Farm Animals on an Antibiotics FREE Diet....

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Antibiotics are lifesaving medicines. But overusing them can have unintended consequences.

That's what we're seeing on industrial farms where these drugs are being used on a massive scale in a way that threatens the public's health.

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), nearly 30 million pounds of antibiotics are sold each year for use in food animal production, most often to make the animals grow faster and to compensate for overcrowded and unsanitary conditions. By comparison, drug makers sold about 7 million pounds of these products last year to treat sick people.

The FDA, the U.S Department of Agriculture and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have all testified before Congress that there is a definitive link between routine use of antibiotics in animal production and the crisis of resistant infections in humans.
New research indicates that overuse of antibiotics in animal feed is contributing to diseases not usually associated with food.

Even World Health Organization director general Margaret Chan warned earlier this year that the "post-antibiotic era" is getting closer every day and would represent "an end to modern medicine as we know it" in which "things as common as strep throat or a child's scratched knee could once again kill."

A New Year's Resolution: Put Animals on an Antibiotics Diet

Antibiotics Fatten Farm Animals: People Too?

Between the GMO foods and the meat supply being tainted with drugs that affect our health and well-being, the FDA really needs to crack down on the safety of our food sources.

Unfortunately, the lobbyist have more power than any of us have and TPTB are controlled by money.

There is a little hope for part of the problem....

PAMTA

Did you know that each year more antibiotics are fed to food-animals in North Carolina than are given to all Americans? Thanks to this kind of misuse, antibiotic-resistant diseases now kill more Americans than HIV/AIDS.

On March 9, 2011, Rep. Slaughter re-introduced H.R. 965, The Preservation of Antibiotics for Medical Treatment Act (PAMTA), which is designed to end the routine use of antibiotics on healthy animals and curb the growing threat of superbugs.

PAMTA would preserve the effectiveness of medically important antibiotics by phasing out the use of these drugs in healthy food-producing animals, while allowing their use for treatment of sick animals. The legislation also requires the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to apply the same tough standards to new applications for approval of animal antibiotics.

H.R. 965, The Preservation of Antibiotics for Medical Treatment Act (PAMTA)

On February 23, 2011, Slaughter confirmed with the FDA an alarming statistic: 80 percent of all antibiotics used in the United States are used not on humans but on food-animals, most of which are perfectly healthy.

It's is a sad day when antibiotics have become resistant and useless to treat human illnesses.
Surely we can feed the world without overusing these drugs to produce meat and poultry.

And before the Vegans come out and preach about not eating meat, it's not going to stop the millions that do like to eat steak/chicken/hamburgers.....

The point is, we should be able to eat what we like without worrying about what it is that we are eating.
Same goes for the GMO foods also....

edit on 2-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Anti biotics can prevent livestock from getting sick, hence they eat more, hence makes them fatter.
I understand what your point is though, bacteria are becoming resistant. In the Long run it is bad but there are also things called pro-biotics that people and animals can take.

It's all fear mongering, just like GM food. Food has been GM for ages. It's the plasitcs that we need to worry about..

UGH!!! GM paranoia is the same as the 2012 paranoia.

If people educated themselves we would be fine.

Did you know that corn was GM centuries ago from a grass?
in other words we have been eating GM food for centuries! NOOOO

Get off the wagon, OMG.
edit on 2-1-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

ETA: you know when you eat all that range fed beef n chicken, without anti biotics and hormones, how many bugs are they consuming? How many bugs are they consuming that have fed off of GM modified grains and veggies? Hmmmmmm.
What about your all natural fruit juice, how many bugs, rats and snakes were ground up into your batch of juice and what did said bugs eat? how about the rats and snakes? How many animals did they eat that have ingested GM foods?

OMG

Grow your own in your house or shut it up. Please. It's getting old, Just like 2012
edit on 2-1-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The biggest point to make out of all of this is in my eyes:

Why do cattle need so many antibiotics? what is so dirty about the way they live they literally cannot defend their own immune system?

Well theres a few reasons and non of them good I suspect, I'll get back to this thread and elaborate more but atm I'm too tired

S + F op
this is a serious flaw in food safety and NEEDS to be taken seriously IMO, the long term risks are just starting to show and can/will be deadly

Edit

The point is, we should be able to eat what we like without worrying about what it is that we are eating.

Though I totally agree with this we live in a world where if you don't check what you are eating or attempt to control your diet you would be a fool. too many GMO's, trans-fats and god knows what else... beef burgers with 21% beef
In all honesty it's a joke and anyone who indorses this kind of activity should be trialed for crimes against humanity
edit on 2-1-2013 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

If people educated themselves we would be fine.

Did you know that corn was GM centuries ago from a grass? in other words we have been eating GM food for centuries! NOOOO

Sorry, kimish, you clearly don't have an understanding of what genetic modification is, and I see you spouting misinformation all over similar threads here.

Genetic modification is the process of using a bacteria to infect a plant with a plasmid that integrates into the plant's chromosomes, thereby creating a transgenic species.

bioenergy.asu.edu...

Cross-pollinating two PLANTS together so they create a hybrid is something completely different. Man simply selects two specimens of the same kingdom (trans-genic species are often trans-kingdom) and they breed via the same mechanisms evolution honed since the dawn of time.

E.g., a spider and a goat could not mate in nature, therefore they could not be hybridized. However, with the intervention of genetic modification, they can be. Genetic modification is NOT hybridization.

www.ehow.com...

Mating a donkey and a horse to get a mule is NOT the same as running to the lab and injecting fish genes into a tomato.

One of the dangers with agrobacterium is that the chromosome infection process can continue outside of the plant, like in the case of BT corn, and infect the host that eats it. This can make the stomach produce pesticides in the same way, and is the same reason over 90% of American females test positive for BT toxin in the blood.

Breeding two tomato plants together naturally will never make your stomach produce pesticides. Again, these are two completely different subjects.

One is benign. One is dubious at best and at worst, deadly.
edit on 2-1-2013 by manicminxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
They can't stop feeding them antibiotics.

Here's teh problem. They feed the cows grain instead of grass. This changes the Ph of the animals stomach and makes it very e-coli friendly. So they gotta shovel the antibiotics to counteract that.

That's why I eat only grass fed. No hormones, no antibiotics. I pay out the wazoo for it, but there are so many advantages. And like I've said before, when you figure in inflation, I'm paying no more tham my grandparents in 1940 for my meat.

www.eatwild.com...

Scroll down to the e-coli count graphics. Prepare to be shocked. Of course the other nutritional stats are interesting as well.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by manicminxx

Please elaborate on said threads! Enlighten me.

And as far as corn goes, in order to make a grass grow from an inedible plant inches high into an edible plant meters high over centuries of manipulation is genetic modification. The genes have been modified to grow larger and be edible. The same can be said with the tubers, they've been manipulated to grow certain ways, in certain soils at certain soil contents.
Hence they have been modified genetically. Not everything needs to be modified through bacteria, are you insane?

Prove me wrong
edit on 3-1-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

What I think he was pointing out to you was yes man has "naturally" genetically modified plants for thousands of years (even dogs too) but that is a lot different from modern day Genetic Manipulation.

In the past man had to find very similair subjects to be able to create newer subjects

Now we gene splice... no other way you could mix foriegn life forms with each other.

And we have multiple methods of intoducing DNA did you read Manicminxx's links?
Here is a quote:

Increasingly, the transformation procedures used do not depend on Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Instead, DNA can be delivered into the cells by small, µm-sized tungsten or gold bullets coated with the DNA

Genetic manipulation is different from hybridization as Manicminxx also pointed out here is an example of hybridization : The Liger

The liger is a hybrid cross between a male lion (Panthera leo) and a tigress (Panthera tigris). Thus, it has parents with the same genus but of different species. It is distinct from the similar hybrid tiglon. It is the largest of all known extant felines

And here is a link on GMO's : www.responsibletechnology.org...

Quote :
But haven't growers been grafting trees, breeding animals, and hybridizing seeds for years?

Genetic engineering is completely different from traditional breeding and carries unique risks.

In traditional breeding it is possible to mate a pig with another pig to get a new variety, but is not possible to mate a pig with a potato or a mouse. Even when species that may seem to be closely related do succeed in breeding, the offspring are usually infertile—a horse, for example, can mate with a donkey, but the offspring (a mule) is sterile.

(apologies would not let me quote that last bit)

I hope this clears up any mis-understanding you had about the subject of Genetic Engineering

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

This article is about the abuse of over using antibiotics on healthy animals which in the long run will cause problems for humans in the future.
When people start to form a resistance to antibiotics for things such as urinary infections or strep throat etc. then we will be entering a new phase of problems.

Antibiotics are lifesaving medicines. But overusing them can have unintended consequences. That's what we're seeing on industrial farms where these drugs are being used on a massive scale in a way that threatens the public's health.

Even World Health Organization director general Margaret Chan warned earlier this year that the "post-antibiotic era" is getting closer every day and would represent "an end to modern medicine as we know it" in which "things as common as strep throat or a child's scratched knee could once again kill."

As far as GMO foods are concerned, they have only been on the market since 1994.
And we're not talking about centuries of modifying them naturally.
We are talking about either using chemicals or radiation to genetically modify the foods.
Very controversial concerning our health and yet our government refuses to make companies put on the labels whether or not it is a GMO food product to let the consumer know.

The French scientist just released info last year on the results they did on GMO foods and it showed it caused numerous tumors in rats.
Needless to say, the US just blew them off.

Some people, especially senior citizens, just don't understand why they have to tamper with the food supply.
"They never did in the 50's or 60's" as some of my fellow friends have told me.

edit on 3-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

They have used pesticides and herbicides since the early 1900's this has been shown to be seriously damaging to eco-systems and food-chains, so the older generations did have some things to worry about when eating food.

I must admit though... the damage we are doing right now is more worrying than ever when it comes to our food supplies. Antibiotics, GMO's and superbugs three things that will be a huge burden in times to come IMHO... they'll make the damages done by pesticides look like a lab test

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
How can anyone in their right mind eat poultry or meat that has been factory mass produced in some perversion of a farm?

When I worked on a dairy farm, the bulk of the diet fed to the cows was not vegetation, but CAT/DOG FOOD BYProducts mixed with hormones and various bulk antibiotics dumped into the feed silo by the KG or barrel!

Cat/Dog food are routinely human food byproducts. Livestock food in turn is byproducts of those byproducts. Cows eating beef byproducts, how natural right?

Farm factories are not sustainable, they're capitalist. Theyre meant to make maximum profit off you thinking youre actually eating chicken beef or pork when what youre really eating is a poisonous mass-produced version of what produce and livestock USED to be. Good luck with that!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

The problem I have is the companies involved.
And the chemicals they use to make crops resistant to the round-up weed killer.
Not to mention the harm it has done to the bee population. Not good.....

The four main global multinational corporations responsible for the trillion dollar GM global agribusiness are:

Monsanto
DuPont
Dow Chemical
Syngenta

To control the market, GM crops typically have a terminator gene inserted into their DNA which makes them sterile. That means for the first time in history these seeds won’t germinate the next crop or be able to benefit from tiny self-improvements year by year, responding to changes in environment.

Why did the corporations want the GM crops to be sterile? Money. They wanted to force the farmer to have to come back to them every season and buy new seed. The company owns the patent on the GM version of the plant AND they own the seed. Integrated marketing. It’s about total profit.

My sister and her husband have a small garden and she said the same thing. That you can no longer regrow from the seeds. She's constantly looking towards local farmers for help or suggestions.
Yes....she's very aware of Monsanto and GMO foods.

exclusive video

new topics
top topics

join