learn more

Al-Jazeera buys Current TV from Al Gore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I think it all comes down to Al Jazeera gaining an entry point into the American market more than any perceived value to the station. This will inject some long over due and refreshing broadcasting competition to the American market.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

And, when they don't follow the "progressive" MSM memes, how long will it take for the left to denigrate them the way they do Breitbart, DailyCaller and Fox News?
edit on 3-1-2013 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I don't really see things as Left, Rght, Progressive etc. when it comes to the media; I tend use my internal BS metre and judge the programming on its particular level of nonsense. Have you ever seen Al Jazeera's The Stream? Great zeitgeist show encompassing all social media platforms and welcoming to all.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
American news sources are pretty much useless for actual facts. They spin stories to fit their own agenda and even create stories out of thin air if it suits them, not to mention they are the shills of the worst terrorist state on the planet...US. It is way past the time when we should be minding our own business and letting other countries live their lives as they see fit. We will always be strong enough to fight off any attackers provided our government will stop giving away our technological advantages.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Al Gore's Current TV "has the same goals" as Al-Jazeera?

I'm not really sure how to read this, but does this alliance/merger/buyout have any deeper significance?

What does this say about Current's line-up and Gore's business plan?.
Some commenters have noted that there were several underlying difficulties in the network's management, the philosophy (All Progressive, All the Time"), and operations.

Does anyone even really care what happens at Current or Al-Jazeera?

hosted2.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

The goals of Current TV are/were, according to Gore and company:

"Current Media was built based on a few key goals: To give voice to those who are not typically heard; to speak truth to power; to provide independent and diverse points of view; and to tell the stories that no one else is telling," Gore and Hyatt said.

"Al-Jazeera has the same goals ... "

Current TV -- in particular Cenk Uygat and the Young Turks definitely do this. Elliot Spitzer does to some extent too. And what I have seen and/or read of Al-Jazeera news, It does it too.

And yes, some of us care about Current TV and Al-Jazeera because we want better sources of news than Fox, CNN, MSNBC or the now-less-relevant-than-ever CBS, NBC and ABC.

Unlike MSNBC, some Current TV news anchors will slam Obama and the Democrats when they deserve it.

I'm quite glad to hear that AL Jazeera bought it. There was talk that some Texas media firm was going to buy it; praise Jeezus that didn't happen.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by jdub297

Keith Obermann, I really hope they bring back Keith Obermann. His was the voice missing from the general election cycle, he would have been fun to watch during the general. He's probably still under contact with them, and they could just call him back to work.

Keitthhhhhhh (whined with the voice of Kramer saying "Kennnnnyyyyyyyy" in the Kenny Rogers Chicken Restaurant episode).
edit on 2-1-2013 by Aleister because: more

That would be hilarious if Keith can rise from the dead once again and join Al Jazeera. Also, I wonder if Olbermann's supposed big suit with Current TV affected its finances.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

reply to post by Jason88

I actually like the reporting on Al-Jazeera (the video is more raw as is the reporting)

I agree that we get a better picture of what is really going on by looking at other media sources outside the US and UK.

I will welcome their views over Gore's any day.

So if you think this, then you actually do care what happens to current and what Al Jazeera does -- contrary to a previous post of yours.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveshot1831
Wow! I am surprised at what I am seeing here.
They have openly supported terrorists in the past and will continue in the future..

I'm not saying american news is not slanted but there is a difference.
Here no matter how biased a news station they still have to answer for their views.

I'm no fan of al gore but I think its just from bad to worse.
We don't need any more influences to get radicals going than there already is.

I've seen from above posts that I'll get arguments here but its just how I see it.
Everyone's ideas are at least given credence with me but I stand firm here.
We have enough outside influence destroying our ideals already.

Thank you all for your posts I didn't know this before.

Please give us any evidence what so ever that Al Jazeera has supported terrorists. Interviewing them does not count as supporting them. But the US certain supports terrorism, the Iranian group the MEK, which is/was on the US State Department's list of terrorist organizations, was given training support by the US. So I guess you must be against US Armed Forces Radio and Voice of America radio.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveshot1831
Why would they show tape sent by terrorist that promote those organisations if they believed otherwise? Common sense from history. You want sources look to all jazeera itself.

Not gonna go through hell to argue it. Its there if you watch it as many claim to here.

It would be like if the news in the us would run tapes sent by the kkk.

Yep, in other words you can't back up your specious claims.

Why would they show tapes by terrorists? In order to present their views. Why present quotes by Pentagon and State Department officials? The good thing about Al Jazeera is that it is not just a dictation service for the US government, unlike most US "news" media.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Glenn Beck tried to buy current tv but Gore said no over "ideological differences" so he sold it to Al Jazzera!

Too Damn funny.www.politico.com...

Oh well.

ETA: I am going to start a network that no one watches and sell it for 500 million bucks!!!

edit on 3-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

People do watch Current TV -- in particular for the news shows. You're statement claiming no one watches it is jsut ignorant. Sure, not that many people watch compared to the big networks, but how well did MSNBC do at first? Current only started producing/broadcasting news shows about a year ago.

Your claim that no one watches C TV is like the Bush II administration's claims that everybody believed Iraq had WMDS.

Put down C TV all you want. It's news broadcasts were/are better than just about anything else in the US "news" media. That most sheeple don't watch it is not a reflection on it, but on the hoi palloi.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I was just thinking that having an alternative news station that actually shows what is going on in the rest of the world, is what we need.

If it wasn't for NPR in the morning and bits on BBC, I would never hear anything.

edit on 4-1-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by jdub297

Well, looks like Gore made a tidy profit too considering people thought it would just tank.

Go gore.

Gore is a hypocrite. AJ is owned by Qatar. Gore has no problems with big oil as long as he profits from it apparently.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

I admire the reporting from Al Jazeera very much but the station isn't without controversy in regard to its political independence as this article from The Guardian points out.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

reply to post by Jason88

I actually like the reporting on Al-Jazeera (the video is more raw as is the reporting)

I agree that we get a better picture of what is really going on by looking at other media sources outside the US and UK.
I will welcome their views over Gore's any day.

So if you think this, then you actually do care what happens to current and what Al Jazeera does -- contrary to a previous post of yours.

Thay's not whay I posted.
Read my letters: "we get a better picture ... by looking at other media sources outside the US and UK."

Didn't see any mention of Curent or Al-Jazeera in that.
What you experienced is called "projection."
Happens all the time when people see only what they want to or cannot face alternatives to their own bias.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

People do watch Current TV -- in particular for the news shows. You're statement claiming no one watches it is jsut ignorant. Sure, not that many people watch compared to the big networks, but how well did MSNBC do at first? Current only started producing/broadcasting news shows about a year ago.

Talk about ignorance! If you're such a fan, explain why you've only been aware of Current since "about a year ago."
Is that when your mom let you stay up after she went to bed?

[exmews]Current Media ... [was] founded in 2005.
Since its inception, Current has developed new forms of cross-platform advertising and social media integration with its sponsors, including the launch of the first viewer-created ad messages in 2005. [/exmews]
current.com...
edit on 4-1-2013 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I actively seek out other viewpoints to the "news" affecting the US, but Al-Jazeera has a checkered past, at best.

One has to wonder why the Emir of Qatar wants a stronger foothold in American media.

Al Gore and his co-investors just sold liberal cable channel Current TV to Al Jazeera, the network bankrolled by the emir of Qatar. ... Current's owners could have simply said they sold to the highest bidder, with the emir paying an estimated $500 million for a network with viewership of only 22,000. Instead they glorified Al Jazeera.
More due diligence might have included a review of the close journalistic coverage over the years of Al Jazeera's Arabic and English broadcasts, which discloses the unsurprising fact that the network reflects the interests of the government that runs it—making it akin to Vladimir Putin's Russia Today and Beijing's Xinhua. The emir of Qatar, Hamid bin Khalifa Al Thani, appointed his cousin as chairman of Al Jazeera. The emir was last in the news for donating $400 million to Hamas, a terrorist organization
NYT Middle East scholar Fouad Ajami wrote that the network's staffers are "either pan-Arabists—nationalists of a leftist bent committed to the idea of a single nation across the many frontiers of the Arab world—or Islamists."

In 2007, the liberal Nation magazine said that "field reports are overwhelmingly negative with violent footage played over and over. . . . There's a clear underlying message: that the way out of this spiral is political Islam." Dave Marash, formerly of ABC's "Nightline," quit Al Jazeera's English-language station in 2008 when producers in Qatar ordered up anti-American programming.

In 2008, Al Jazeera threw an on-air party for Samir Kuntar when he was released from an Israeli prison. Kuntar led a Palestine Liberation Front terrorist team that kidnapped an Israeli family in 1979. He shot the father and killed the 4-year-old daughter by smashing her head against rocks along the beach. In footage available on YouTube, Al Jazeera's Beirut bureau chief hands Kuntar a scimitar to cut the celebratory cake and says: "This is the sword of the Arabs, Samir."

In 2009, Yusuf al-Qaradawi, host of the network's most popular Arabic-language show, "Shariah and Life," said on air (also available on YouTube): "Oh, Allah, take this oppressive Jewish, Zionist band of people. Oh Allah, do not spare a single one of them. Oh Allah, count their numbers and kill them, down to the very last one."
Inconvenient Truths About Al Jazeera

Is this really Current TV's ideology?
edit on 7-1-2013 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Sorry to bump a 7 month old thread, but I didn't think this info required a new one--just updating.

I just turned on my television, and noticed that the Current channel has been replaced with Al-Jazeera America (Comcast).
A quick search, reveals today is the network's launch date.
Baltimore Sun article
Comcast blog

I'm up for a new perspective--I'll give it a watch...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Been watching it since its launch at 3pm Eastern today. There are lots of familiar faces, most of whom were tolerable when they were employed by places like CNN. I think there is a lot to be said for a news organization not solely beholden to advertisers for funding. Real news, and an international perspective are sorely lacking from Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.

That being said, I'm quite aware of the owner being a Middle Eastern oil sheik, and that will make me very skeptical of when they address certain subjects,Islam and Middle East issues in particular along with oil/energy related issues. One of the first specials I noticed being advertised is an upcoming one about the effects of Uranium mining on a particular group. Do I really trust a news organization owned by an oil sheik to fairly report on anything to do with one of the few energy sources that can compete with petroleum (nuclear)? Not really. Nor am I particularly inclined to listen to them when it comes to issues like Fracking and environmental issues related to oil exploration in the US, along with anything else involving viable alternatives to petroleum.

Despite that I welcome a new news source to our airwaves, and wish them much success. I hope that they provide real competition to a media landscape that is eighty percent opinion, pop culture news, and emotional criminal trial of the week. The current players in the US media have set the bar for actual journalism and investigative reporting (particularly international) incredibly low, and hope if nothing else it forces other networks to raise their standards.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
While I don't support the "progressive" banner of current, I think they have some excellent documentaries. They usually run up my alley in interest (although not in slant)

Personally I think there are few American channels that come close to current in documentaries (unless maybe some high up cable channel dedicated to documentaries, which I wouldn't know) Current comes with my regular basic satellite package so it's one of my most watched channels (that being said, I don't watch a ton of TV)

I have no problems with Al Jazeera and find their coverage far superior to ANY American news channel period.

I checked my channels on direct TV and current is now listed as Al Jazeera America for me as well. Looking at their future broadcasts it seems they are going a little lighter on the documentaries which upsets me.

I'm hoping this means stephanie miller is gone... that woman's existence is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
edit on 20-8-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join