It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Jazeera buys Current TV from Al Gore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Al-Jazeera buys Current TV from Al Gore

hosted2.ap.org

Al-Jazeera, the Arab news channel that has struggled to win space on American television, has acquired Current TV, Al Gore confirmed.
Gore and his partner Joel Hyatt announced the sale in a statement.
"Current Media was built based on a few key goals: To give voice to those who are not typically heard; to speak truth to power; to provide independent and diverse points of view; and to tell the stories that no one else is telling," Gore and Hyatt said.
"Al-Jazeera has the same goals ... "
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com
www.forbes. com
mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com
current.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Is Gore Just Money Hungry?
Keith Olbermann Threatens Suit Over Current TV Firing (Less than a year after joining).

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Al Gore's Current TV "has the same goals" as Al-Jazeera?

I'm not really sure how to read this, but does this alliance/merger/buyout have any deeper significance?

What does this say about Current's line-up and Gore's business plan?.
Some commenters have noted that there were several underlying difficulties in the network's management, the philosophy (All Progressive, All the Time"), and operations.

Does anyone even really care what happens at Current or Al-Jazeera?

hosted2.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I actually like the reporting on Al-Jazeera (the video is more raw as is the reporting), but buying Current TV will not give it any more US exposure - as I recall Current TV is buried in the way up cable channels and isn't available under basic subscription packages.

As for the buyout - it looks like business as usual to me. Al-Jazeera probably bought Current TV for a bargain in attempts to gain a stronger US foothold, which won't happen.

For those interested in this Western-alternative news station, here's a live link: www.aljazeera.com...

edit on 2-1-2013 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Keith Obermann, I really hope they bring back Keith Obermann. His was the voice missing from the general election cycle, he would have been fun to watch during the general. He's probably still under contact with them, and they could just call him back to work.

Keitthhhhhhh (whined with the voice of Kramer saying "Kennnnnyyyyyyyy" in the Kenny Rogers Chicken Restaurant episode).
edit on 2-1-2013 by Aleister because: more

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Global warming with a Sharia bent just strikes me as funny. It has all the ingredients for a comedy skit.... I'm sure someone will make it happen and post it to the tubes.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I actually like the reporting on Al-Jazeera (the video is more raw as is the reporting)

I agree that we get a better picture of what is really going on by looking at other media sources outside the US and UK.

I will welcome their views over Gore's any day.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Well, looks like Gore made a tidy profit too considering people thought it would just tank.

Go gore.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by jdub297

Well, looks like Gore made a tidy profit too considering people thought it would just tank.

Go gore.

I agree.

Go Gore.. go.. go away and please never come back. You've made your millions by pushing junk science to the vapid and now it's just time to go.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

Haters are going to hate.

I'm just saying, he did well considering how many people said he wasn't going to make a dime off of it. Al-Jazeera will likely change the format soon anyway.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I have only recently pulled the plug on watching BBC and find Al Jazeera a refreshing and informative alternative that really shows how the 194 other countries in the world live.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I watch international news from as many sources as I can get. I find that even the most radical and slanted news from around the world is still more centrist and measured than any American stations.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Wow! I am surprised at what I am seeing here.
They have openly supported terrorists in the past and will continue in the future..

I'm not saying american news is not slanted but there is a difference.
Here no matter how biased a news station they still have to answer for their views.

I'm no fan of al gore but I think its just from bad to worse.
We don't need any more influences to get radicals going than there already is.

I've seen from above posts that I'll get arguments here but its just how I see it.
Everyone's ideas are at least given credence with me but I stand firm here.
We have enough outside influence destroying our ideals already.

Thank you all for your posts I didn't know this before.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by loveshot1831

They have openly supported terrorists in the past and will continue in the future..

Thanks for taking the other side of the issue, but can you provide a source to that claim?

I recall that extremists have sent tapes to Al-Jazeera to be aired on TV but I don't *think* that counts as an endorsement of extremism by this news station. I may be wrong, but I'd like to see your sources. Cheers.

edit on 2-1-2013 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Why would they show tape sent by terrorist that promote those organisations if they believed otherwise? Common sense from history. You want sources look to all jazeera itself.

Not gonna go through hell to argue it. Its there if you watch it as many claim to here.

It would be like if the news in the us would run tapes sent by the kkk.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
"Current Media was built based on a few key goals: To give voice to those who are not typically heard; to speak truth to power; to provide independent and diverse points of view; and to tell the stories that no one else is telling," Gore and Hyatt said. "Al-Jazeera has the same goal"

Al-Jazeera has a much stronger hold than CurrentTV with independent and diverse points of view.

Gore knows this, and so do the viewers of both stations.

CurrentTV was very polluted with "entertainment" and would rerun "news" from 2006.

I'm going with a
for this transition!

S&F

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveshot1831
Why would they show tape sent by terrorist that promote those organisations if they believed otherwise? Common sense from history. You want sources look to all jazeera itself.

Not gonna go through hell to argue it. Its there if you watch it as many claim to here.

It would be like if the news in the us would run tapes sent by the kkk.

No need to go through hell to prove it - I don't want to travel that road either right now. I'd just like add, with a heavy heart, why does the US media expose and then over-expose the mass killers, like Sandy Hook? Why give those psychos airtime just like the extremists (or KKK marches of the 60s)?

In my mind it's the same thing. And in today's day & age the MSM has a duty to report it - whether it's tapes sent to the AJ offices showing the deaths of US captives, or the over-analysis of mass murders - both are getting undue airtime but there's nothing we can do - Arab or America, the media will show this stuff until we stop watching it. Al-Jazeera is just another competitive channel with its own legit spin on news.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I can agree with you on a lot of you said. But I see it different to show tape from an organization bragging about the killing of innocents to incite their followers. News is one thing. The incidents you mentioned happened and were covered but not from the killers point of view. Understand?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by loveshot1831

I do understand, and admittedly I'm not familiar with their opinion shows, where I'm guessing this type of behavior (programming) resides; I would chance that those shows do not get translated into English or become regular programming for western audiences.

That said, if we look back to the 60s & 70s the US nightly news showed much more graphic content of the Vietnam War than we see today in the news. Heck, we can't even see US soldiers resting in their coffins coming home from war because it's largely censored. My point, Al-Jazeera has that raw component that US news used to have before it became too politically correct, sanitized, and "news entertainment."

I believe that's the value of this news station, showing what's happening around the world without western censorship, but again I am not familiar with their opinion shows.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Again where I get your point you still end ip losing me.

When does it become ok to use the killing of people not involved in anything as a platform for terrorist incitement
There is a difference between graphic nature of reality to letting them use your news network as a means to communicate and spread hatred. Just showing video sent in by these groups is basically giving them n ok to act as they will and to reach their followers

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Glenn Beck tried to buy current tv but Gore said no over "ideological differences" so he sold it to Al Jazzera!

Too Damn funny.www.politico.com...

Oh well.

ETA: I am going to start a network that no one watches and sell it for 500 million bucks!!!

edit on 3-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join