It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottled water banned in Massachusetts - soft drinks A-OK

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by christoph
I am from Mass and the river the tap water comes from is disgusting. I'd rather drink bottled that's for sure! The mini waterfall in front of the mills is dark brown.

In Texas now though and the water is NOT any better
the tap if I let water evaporate leaves a weird crystal white residue that sticks to what it's on like glue so I don't drink that either.
edit on 2-1-2013 by christoph because: (no reason given)

Both Mass. and Texas rank in the top 5 for best water in the US by the Environmental Working Group.

Source: www.ewg.org...

As for what you "see" -- it's untreated at that stage but at least it doesn't have jet fuel in it!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonsaihorn
reply to post by Jason88

If there is any water that comes from an iceberg I will eat meat more than once a week...

Isklar is glacial, and tastes good too.
edit on 2-1-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Bottled water being a "convenience" doesn't justify this banning.

I'm quite sure the soft drink fans would be pissed off if these were banned and told they can buy big bottles from now on. I don't drink beer so as far as I'm concerned those that do, don't need their aluminium cans connected by plastic rings. You don't need individual servings of beer. In fact make your own beer.

Some of us use and need bottked water
Having nothing to do with laziness

There are a lot of other plastic items being wasted.

Find some other plastics to ban.
Why take away a necessity of life?

I searched around to see if this is coming to other areas and it is.
edit on 2-1-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If you live in Western Massachusetts, you get your water (out of tap) from the Cobble Mountain Aquifer, and I gotta tell you it is some of the best tasting, non contaminated water ever through a tap, you can't tell if they add other things to it, it's that clear.. So it is better than bottled (IIRC it was tested vs Poland Spring in the 80's)..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
A lot of people don't realize but bottle water companies are making a lot of money...

Bottles water is not the same quality as it was 15 years ago, where bottle water was a luxury item. Drank by the sick, elderly, immuno-compromised, tourist, etc...

But now they make bottle water without proper filtration system, only bottle water that has a 100% tested scientific method for filtration is Dasani(or used to be, idk, i stopped drinking it), which is filtered through Reverse Osmosis.....where they use expensive membrane filtration... and i think they are normally expensive over general filtered bottle water.

If you seen "Ozone treated" "Filter water" "spring water" these are BS filtration. Ozone treated is decent but not 100% effective....

edit on 1/3/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Dasani water from coca cola is tap water, Or filtered industrial run off from their processing plant.

It's coming down to whom you trust more, a corporation or your municipal government.

Best bet is to collect rainwater, If it hasn't been made illegal where you live.

But that doesn't matter, you can't make drinking water illegal.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
reply to post by amkia

No, I am sure that we are at breaking-points in nearly all aspects of our existence. We want more money, better food, cleaner water, cleaner environments, eco-solutions, better education systems, no more dumb-laws like these, and unity. That is what we all want and I am sure our message will be heard and eventually taken care of.

Kinda sounds like what the people on Mars in Total Recall (original) wanted.

But seriously, back on topic. People, please don't waste your hard earned money on anything you really don't need. The debate about where the water you drink comes from is not as important as weather or not you filter it yourself.

1. Install whole home water filters (1micron sediment, and 1micron carbon)
2. Buy some stainless steel water bottles that should last a lifetime
3. Stop worrying about what's in your water, because NOTHING is in your water

The food you cook will be better, your clothes will be cleaner, your hot water heater will last longer, your dishwasher will work better....

Just do it already.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My thoughts are that, frankly, it's an act of ridiculous overreaching and the state government being a control freak to pull something like this.

I mean...why? Other than because somebody up in the state house got a bee in their bonnet over something that is small potatoes in the real world and the folks in the state government had to legislate it to prove that they were doing something.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Your reverse osmosis filter has a 30 year replacement? Nice, never heard of such long stand times.
BTW, how much water do you WASTE with your osmosis filter? Whats the rate? Would be nice to know

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I agree that maybe they should take a look at smaller serving sizes of other beverages as well... but I can understand why they chose water. It's not like you can choose to go to the coca cola fountain, or the mountain dew tap.

I don't entirely agree with some of this:

Originally posted by Lagrimas

Sometimes though Im in town and i feel a bit sick, maybe Im getting flu, or maybe Ive got a bit too hot that day, or Im tired or even hung over.

On that day I am happy to be able to pop in a shop and buy a bottle of water.

Cities are big, and most people drink tap water... but that still doesn't mean that every so often all these people aren't going to have a bad day and need some fresh healthy tasteless refreshment. that is why shops have it on their shelves, so that people who need a quick hit of refreshment can get it.

We don't want people being sick in the middle of town, do we?

edit on 2-1-2013 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

1- I don't believe that's why it's in our shops. It wasn't there 30 years ago. At least not like it is now. Some clever marketer realized that if they put free water into a cheap plastic bottle and gave it an "exotic" sounding name like "dasani" or "aquafina" people would pay stupid prices for it. And they did.

2- Water, while very good for you, does not prevent you from being sick if you're already on your way. Not quite sure where you're getting that from.

3- If I'm not drinking something else (and usually even if I am) I typically have bottled water with me ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE I go. Yet i never (pretty much ever) buy bottled water. How do you suppose I pull that off?

I'm sure you figured it out, but for those who need the help: Plastic bottle + tap water = free and reusable bottled water.

IMO some people in western society are way too "pampered" for their own good.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Does anyone know if Massachusetts' cities fluoridate their water? If so, they can sod right off. We should be getting our drinking water from rain, underground springs, mountain melt, private well - anywhere except the public reservoirs (claims are made about how it's tested for e coli, etc; I was personally a victim of the cryptosporidium outbreak in Milwaukee when I was a kid - that was the city's "safe, tested" drinking water)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is idiotic for one simple reason.

It's an example of a small handful of bureaucrats dictating to the masses what they think is best for them rather than let the people decide for themselves.

Pathetic.

I enjoy Fiji water and Iceland water. Concord can go # themselves.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CristobalColonic

I find this interesting because its pointless....Maybe they want to coral people into drinking more fluoride from the city water (not sure whether mass actually fluoridates their water).

What if you bottle tap water for transportation? how do they know? How will they enforce this with any integrity?? The police going to carry chemical strip kits on their utility belts now? Or is all bottled water everywhere banned...gyms? jogs and bicycle rides?

Its absurd a waste of money and just another example of the authoritarian nature of government to eventually ban everything to turn everyone into criminals in an attempt to justify any and all intrusions and control over people.

This is right up there with Minnesota banning free online education...

edit on 3-1-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jough626

Yes that's great and all, but I travel a lot for work. I can't carry a 5 gallon jug with me or anything. I do not drink soda, and would refuse to spend $1 on a bottle of carbonated syrup. I used to-then I got fat as crap. I am still working it off. But, with no soda my weight is steadily dropping. No more headaches either. Ban soda bottles that's the right start...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
First of all the title as has become an ATS staple is wrong. Massachusttes has not banned bottled water. A small town of 17 thousand people has. This a small town, local law that the people in it want. So what?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Yes, Mass. ranks number 29 of all states with fluoride ppm in the water. Kentucky is number 1.

CDC stats: www.cdc.gov...

Edit: Years ago, I worked for EcoWater Systems in Santa Fe, NM, selling reverse osmosis machines to households ($8K sale); having been trained in testing water onsite I can tell you that well water is the dirtiest, hardest, most disgusting water you could have in your household. Folks on the wells who could afford it were gobbling up the RO machines to save their families from health risks [FACT]. Ecowater site: www.ecowater.com...

That said, I've tested plenty of tap water and unless you live near a military airfield (jet fuel in the water table) or substantial farming community (pesticides) than chances are your tap water is fine. If you do live in an area like that - get yourself a RO machine NOW.

For those interested in what it looks like living off a corrupted water table, look at Cape Cod, Mass., the cancer rates tied to jet fuel (Otis Airbase) & pesticides in the cranberry bogs are staggering. Source: www.silentspring.org...

Lastly, bottle water is garbage. Drink the tap. You'll save money and will be healthier. In fact, drink beer if you really want bug free/chemical free hydration.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
While I don't think you should ban bottled water, I do think it is good to encourage people to simply buy a bottle that can be re-used for this kind of thing. It does seem kind of stupid to sell bottles and bottles of water (in a non emergency situation.) if the tap water is good. It makes more sense to buy one of those expensive bottles with the fancy spouts, buy a water filter and fill up at your home.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: jamiebaker

I think that's what most people do. I always reuse my water bottles until the bottle is done for...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join