It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottled water banned in Massachusetts - soft drinks A-OK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
LINK

Well, well, well! Ban one of the few convenient healthy alternatives to sugar laden carbonated soft drinks on the premise of cleaning up the environment - what, recycling is some fangled 'future tech', in the US?? - while giving carte blanche to soft drink companies to further exploit an already morbidly obese, largely diabetic and hopelessly sugar- addicted population. Much easier to kill off a population than to provide for it, to be sure.

Oh! And of course, this wouldn't have anything to do with forcing people to drink fluorinated tap water in order to keep them docile. No way! That's just some fringe conspiracy theory...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CristobalColonic

Actually bottled water in most cases is terrible for you in comparison to tap water

It think the stat is it costs ten times the ammount of resources to make the bottle than it does to fill it up with water.

Bottled water is a sham.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hhhmmm...I don't even know what to say. This is just....odd.....is this even allowed?? What do the heads of this particular state have to say about this??

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I do agree, bottled water is a huge rip off and such a lie...."Mountain spring" my ass.....

Also the ban is on single serving bottles and I don't think that applies to large jugs....not sure on if it would apply to a case of single serving. Bottled single serve water is there for nothing but convenience.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Bottled sodas & other sugary drinks are allowed, but bottled water isn't?? Just odd...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

This only applies to single serving bottles, so all the selling companies need to label them as "two servings" on the label.

I kind of agree with the activists point of view, buy a big bottle and share it or don't waste so many resources in such a simple thing.

And is there proof of flouride in Concord's water supply?

"The bottled water companies are draining our aquifers and selling it back to us. I'm going to work until I drop on this," Hill told The New York Times in 2010.

That's because people are lazy and can't be bothered to use a water filter costing a few bucks and an aluminium reusable bottle. Those aquifers would get drunk regardless, her issue seems to be with the companies selling it, not the outcome of waste.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
Bottled single serve water is there for nothing but convenience.

Yes, convenience.
because there have been many times on a hot day when I am not at home, (eg. driving in my car) that I would like a cool drink.
The local convenience store sells me a bottle of water. Everybody wins.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
First they ban large soft drinks in NY and now they ban bottled water? What the heck is going on here?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

The ban is intended to encourage use of tap water and curb the worldwide problem of plastic pollution.

Well, we can be reasonably sure their reasoning has little to do with "plastic pollution". We can also be reasonably sure they're aware people are going to be buying their bottled water in the next nearest town. So, the question is, what are they really up to?

Jean Hill, an 84-year-old activist, thought up the ban, arguing that bottles fill garbage dumps, while consumers are lured into drinking water they could obtain for a tiny fraction of the cost at their own sink.

Well, you have to give the old gal credit for being right about the bolded part.

It sounds to me like this is a lead up to something else, but what, I'm honestly not sure.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

It's just a bilaw.

Not criminal just a fine.

"The bottled water companies are draining our aquifers and selling it back to us. I'm going to work until I drop on this," Hill told The New York Times in 2010.
First time offenders get a warning. Anyone caught selling the banned bottles a second time will be fined $25, and $50 thereafter.

A bit ridiculous sure, but it's a start towards stoping the plastic dependancy we have. And like I said, there's nothing special about bottled water, it's in most cases far more likely to harm you than tap water.

And that doesn't include the actual fact that your water is sitting in plastic, which sunlight exposure will cause carcinogenic chemicals to end up in there..

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420

I do agree, bottled water is a huge rip off and such a lie...."Mountain spring" my ass.....

Also the ban is on single serving bottles and I don't think that applies to large jugs....not sure on if it would apply to a case of single serving. Bottled single serve water is there for nothing but convenience.

I do understand where you are coming from, but look at it this way...

Sometimes Im in town, and yea I always drink tap water at home, no real need for bottled i think.

Sometimes though Im in town and i feel a bit sick, maybe Im getting flu, or maybe Ive got a bit too hot that day, or Im tired or even hung over.

On that day I am happy to be able to pop in a shop and buy a bottle of water.

Cities are big, and most people drink tap water... but that still doesn't mean that every so often all these people aren't going to have a bad day and need some fresh healthy tasteless refreshment. that is why shops have it on their shelves, so that people who need a quick hit of refreshment can get it.

We don't want people being sick in the middle of town, do we?

edit on 2-1-2013 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

So move to glass bottles?

In the end though, you'll always be paying ridiculous ammounts for water, because the packaging is what you pay for. The contents of the product are more likely to be bad for you than good over the long term in comparison to the cheap alternative.

We use 'bottled' tap water for our needs, we just don't use plastic containers and we keep several on hand at a time.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
ummm
WTF

what about the plastic bottles soft drinks come in?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Sounds a bit ridiculous. I don't see this spreading throughout the state (hopefully). This goes right back to the dumb soft drink laws. We're just watching our freedoms being stripped from us day by day. What's next?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This goes to show you the moron who created this law was 1. Senile 2. Not aware that science has solutions for BIO-DEGRADEABLGE products. My god-thanks moron. Now your hole state will be a bunch of fat-bastages. Whatever, it figures.
edit on 2-1-2013 by samlf3rd because: misspelling

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Do you really want to ask that question?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

In a lot of cases bottled water is exactly the same as the tap water you could be drinking, flouridated all the same. The ones that aren't flouridate the water in some cases.

If you have Netflix check out the documentary Tapped. It talks a lot about the bottled water scam. It is true that this was most likely done for plastic pollution as some other posters have said, this movie has a lot of good* info and there are a few other bottled water documentaries on Netflix.

* - I say good because they say what needs to be said to make their point. I am sure the other side could make just as good of a movie with their point, but that is neither here nor there. There are two sides to every story but this side really made me think.

I use an aluminum water container now, is it any better than plastic? I like to think so, but it could be leaching (leeching?) just as many bad things into the water I drink. I buy Great Value water from Walmart anyway, 88 cents a gallon and not fluoridated according to various sources.

Have a good 2013!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Here in the UK bottled water goes through the same tests as tap water, possibly more.

There were instances of coca cola selling tap water in bottles that implied it was natural source, they were sued and now there are stricter controls over labelling.

I prefer bottled water because it doesn't make me gag, it doesn't contain all the unfiltered and unremovable chemical by products from humanity, such as oestrogens, antibiotics, pesticides, viruses etc. as well as the deliberate chemicals like fluoride and chlorine.

I buy water that I know has been filtered through rocks for a very long time and has been tested for purity and is clean to drink. I can taste and even smell the difference between bottled and tap water, and I bet if more people switched from drinking tap water they would be able to tell the difference too.

Some bottled mineral waters have higher mineral content, like Evian has high calcium, and some taste better like San Pellegrino, which is my favourite.

freshlysqueezedwater.org.uk...
www.fluoridealert.org...
www.all-natural.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 2-1-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Great...

Who says that you have to pay for the water..?? Bastards who are asking you for this, will ask you for the air you breathe later.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by amkia

No, I am sure that we are at breaking-points in nearly all aspects of our existence. We want more money, better food, cleaner water, cleaner environments, eco-solutions, better education systems, no more dumb-laws like these, and unity. That is what we all want and I am sure our message will be heard and eventually taken care of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join