Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Quick question on star gazing.

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
When is the best time to visit a dark sky park? Cherry Springs is only a few hours from my home and I thought winter would be the best time to view, due to the humidity levels. But looking at a clear sky chart, they're saying the humidity is still relatively high. Also, they have a star party in June. So when really is the best time to go to a dark sky park?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Anytime right after a hurricane, all the chemtrails are blown aside and we temporarily get a chance to enjoy the night sky we use to see prior to the 1990s which includes even the dim stars.

As soon as a hurricane passes and the sky is clear, I see a huge difference in naked eye star visibility.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think the people running the place you want to visit may be the ones to answer you. We did that this summer for our vacation this year.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It really depends on what you want to see, and what your tolerance is to cold and/or insects.

Some objects are better observed, and only visible at certain times of the year. Winter generally provides clearer skies, and longer nights, but can be cold. Summer nights are more comfortable, prone to humidity, and insects.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I agree with JibbyJedi.

The best time to view the night sky is after a heavy rain as the concentration of particulate matter in the atmosphere is usually at it lowest.

However......The atmosphere is less dense in the Summer time which can lead to a clearer view of stars, planets and satellites.

I guess that if you are really interested in star-gazing, it won't really matter as long as you have a clear sky.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

While there is always something interesting in the sky all year round, some interesting objects are only seen at certain times of the your -- such as Orion and the Pleiades. Those are best viewed during the winter months in the Northern Hemisphere.

That June party sounds nice, though.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Without doubt, during a meteor shower!

My recommendation would be the Perseid meteor shower, which is expected to peak between August 12, 18h15m to 20h45m UT this year. If you can only observe for one night, the night of the 11th/12th may be marginally better for your location this year than the 12th/13th, but if you can observe for two nights or more, then try the 12th/13th and perhaps the 10th/11th - it's a good idea to hedge your bets with a meteor shower like the Perseids in case the peak night is clouded out. Meteor rates can be good both in the nights leading up to the peak, and after the peak with the Perseids.

This year the Moon will be out of the way at this time, so it's an excellent opportunity to observe the Perseids.

Here's footage of a Perseid meteor captured by a camera using cutting edge technology:

Although star gazing in summer has it's downsides (biting insects, less transparency - although this is not always the case, and shorter nights which don't get quite as dark), there are upsides such as the relatively warm nights, and the milky-way which is best observed in summer IMO.

If you scroll down my post here you'll find some general meteor observing tips - please note that even though it's summer, it'll still get quite cold under a clear sky, so a sleeping bag and warm cloths is a good idea.

Related links:
Meteor shower predictions from Jeremie Vaubaillon

top topics

join