It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pilot Error Blamed for Flight 587 Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has ruled that pilot error was the cause of the crash of American Airlines flight 587. The crash in November 2001 of the Airbus A300-600 was caused by "unnecessary and aggressive" rudder input from the co-pilot who was at the controls.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The co-pilot of American Airlines flight 587 caused the November 2001 crash that claimed the lives of 265 people, the staff of the nation's airline safety agency reported Tuesday.

Investigator Robert Benzon of the National Transportation Safety Board said the copilot's response to turbulence, just seconds after the Airbus A300-600 plane took off from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, was "unnecessary and aggressive."

Benzon also investigators also concluded that American Airlines improperly trained its pilots to use the aircraft's rudder while recovering from upsets and said the problem could have been exacerbated by the airline's simulator training.

Benzon also said that the rudder control system on the aircraft is sensitive at higher air speeds, which is potentially hazardous.

The safety board itself was expected later Tuesday to rule on the staff's findings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The NTSB further faulted American Airlines training also precipitated the incident. However, they also noted that the rudder system was overly sensitive at high speed which was also hazardous. It is believed by the panel that the aggressive use of the rudder to recover the aircraft following it being hit by wake turbulence of another aircraft cause the whole tail to break off of the aircraft. This effectively made the aircraft uncontrollable.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This sounds ridiculous to me.

rudder control system on the aircraft is sensitive at higher air speeds, which is potentially hazardous

I smell a rat. A coverup of a terrorist act perhaps. Al Queda did claim responsability for this crash, whatever that's worth.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sensfan, I do agree with you. I think I read about Al Quida was the reason also.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

A coverup of a terrorist act perhaps. Al Queda did claim responsability for this crash

Why would the Bush administration allow anyone in any of its agencies to miss a chance to assign the blame for this on Al Qaida? That makes no sense at all, especially a week before the elections, when the incumbent is running around the country trying to convince voters how dangerous the world is for Americans.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

rudder control system on the aircraft is sensitive at higher air speeds, which is potentially hazardous

That is a true statement.

Think of driving your car, the faster you go, the less your steering wheel movement is.

The rudder, in essence, is the steering wheel of aircraft.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Unfortunetly when a cause of an accident can't be found, the blame usually is attributed to human error. I'm not a certified pilot but no enough about aeronautics that I would not blame the pilot for the tail assembly to shear off the fuselage. Either the aircraft has some major design faults or an explosion occured, I would not blame the pilot. Remeber, dead men can't defend themselves.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Oh, for gods sake. You would THINK they would stick to one lie, but no, now they are comming out with new ones. FDirst the excuse was that airbus forgot to screw the bolts on tight. Now the pilot screwed up.

This is gonna end up about as ridiculous as the TWA 800 investigation.

Next thing you know it will be a plama burst from the sun manually unscrewed pieces of the jet as it was in flight.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
No conspiracy here [/level II Sarcasm] other than to blame the pilot. Its a composite tail and it failed. It sheared clean from its mount. Airbus is supposed to limit the controll inputs so a pilot can't do anything dumb. If this was the case how come the flight computers failed to prevent this. Something smells fishy with this one. SInce the pilot is dead, no worries, pin it on him.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The nation was on the highest alert in Novemver of 2001 when flight 587 crashed. Al Qaida did claim responsibility through Al Jazeera. CNN had it on the television for a whole 5 minutes. They reported on it once live and then I saw it on the ticker twice. Then no more mention of Al Qaida. If Bush would have said Al Qaida attacked us again it would have shown another failure in security. It would have destroyed his presidency even more than 9-11.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Just to throw more fuel on the fire - I am posting the link to an NTSB advisory that came out in February of 2002, a couple of months after the accident. So their ultimate findings are not something they pulled out of their hat - it was the long suspected cause.

Based on preliminary findings by the NTSB they believed that rudder failure had occurred in the case of 587. They were so concerned about it (even at lower speeds) that they issued the advisory before they had completed their investigation.

I was also going to post the final report but NTSB is nearly impossible to access today because of the press release.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
So is this case closed now?

I was reading an article that said it was taken down by a man named Abderraouf Jdey

Rockaway, NY News
According to published reports and to a number of Internet news sites, the unnamed operative, who was captured by the Canadians, told agents from the Security Intelligence Service (roughly equivalent to our FBI) that the shoe bomber, named Abderraouf Jdey, had trained alongside him in an Afghanistan terrorist training camp along with a number of men who subsequently died in the World Trade Center attack on September 11, 2001.

Those published reports say that the source revealed that Jdey, a Montreal resident, used the same sort of shoe bomb that was taken from Richard Reid by passengers and crew when he tried to use it on a later flight.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Indications are, AceofBase, that what you imply is quite feasible and probable.

He is reported to have used a small bomb similar to the one used by convicted shoe-bomber Richard Reid. Multiple eyewitnesses (including retired NYPD Lieutenant James Conrad, FDNY Deputy Chief Peter Hayden, retired transit cop Richard Kvies, sales manager John Power, food-services manager Ellie Scholfield and retired firefighter Tom Lynch) believed that they "saw American Airlines Flight 587 explode in flames before its tail sheared off". Tom Lynch was standing on Rockaway Beach Boulevard when he saw a "bright orange ball of flame streaming from the right side of the plane" two or three seconds before a larger eruption of flames consumed the entire right side of the plane's fuselage. Lynch stated that "There were no falling parts until the second explosion of flames - I'll go to my grave with that".

Abderraouf Jdey
Canadian Intelligence Report: Al Qaeda Claimed, in May 2002, Flight 587 Had First Shoe Bomber
Abderraouf Jdey and Flight 587

seekerof

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Airbus is supposed to limit the controll inputs so a pilot can't do anything dumb.

Fred, I don't work on Airbus products, but after working behind pilots on army systems, all I can say is that there is no "fool" proof system out there!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Canadian Intelligence Report: Al Qaeda Claimed, in May 2002, Flight 587 Had First Shoe Bomber

seekerof

The USRead article makes it seem like the source was reliable.
That was an interesting article.

I wonder what the purpose of a coverup would be?

EDIT: Here's an eyewirness account of the crash from the USRead site:
www.usread.com...

And one more here:
www.usread.com...

[edit on 12-1-2005 by AceOfBase]

[edit on 12-1-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

as posted by AceOfBase
I wonder what the purpose of a coverup would be?

Not sure on that, AceOfBase.
I have found nothing to contradict the reports that you or I are reading and linking. Either the NTSB has simply ignored or disproved this (in that matter of disproved, I would like to see or find the findings for such a 'disprove'), or there is more to the story than what the NTSB is willing to admit, as mentioned by you concerning a/the 'coverup'.

I'm still looking for something to contradict what we are implying, or whether the NTSB even actually considered these findings. As such, the NTSB's article seems to contradict that Mr. Abderraouf Jdey is wanted by the FBI concerning this matter. Maybe there is some FBI finding that mentions he was not apart of this incident other than they simply mentioning that he is being sought for "possible" terrorist acts. Seems to me that the Canadian Intelligence would override what the FBI mentions?
Not sure, but there are some answered questions to this, and singling out the pilot, doesn't seem like the full story.

seekerof

new topics

top topics

join