It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt Versus Democracy: A Battle for the Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
truth-out.org...

In the US and Europe, the movement of squares has responded to attacks on the social good by debt resistance and direct democracy. In assemblies, mic checks and self-organization, they demonstrated that another world is possible. Now the movement is articulating full-scale resistance.
The movement of squares was born of the crisis of debt and democracy. In the wake of the global financial crisis, debt has been used by the 1 percent as a tool of oppression against the 99%. The corruption of so-called democratic governments has been laid bare and their rule delegitimized, and now it is Phase Two. Activists from this new social movement are building a global resistance.

I believe that this is the 21st century equivalent of 'passive resistance'. I don't want to hear about how this is just a way of "people getting away with something" but I do want to hear your thoughts on this as stragety for reclaiming democracy for the "99%".

I am coming to believe that the anarcharist idea that "All Private Property is Theft" has real merit. The more I live with this idea (wondering how such a thing could be true or workable) the more I get a feeling for it - not an understanding but a gut feeling. Remember the movie "The Gods must be Crazy" and the chaos caused by a Coke bottle. Isn't that just a metaphor for all the wars, killing, greed, oppression, hatred that we see all around us.

I doubt many will be interested in discussing how a program such as this could be participated in without ending up in debtors prision but I'd like to talk about the benefits of this approach - not only for individuals, but cities, states, countries even small businesses that have all been preyed upon by predatory debt when other ways of capital acquisition were never discussed or offered.

Please read the article - it's interesting and has a truly global and human perspective on this mess that will kill us all if not solved for the betterment of the planet.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

The solution to taking back your country is pretty simple.

Get involved.

Particpate In The Process.

Create Industry and Ally With Companies Who Share Your Values.

Build Community.

All of these things are a requirement for a properly informed democracy who care about the issues. Who care about the world they inhabit and act responsibly in the face of great danger & hardship.

Take responsibility for yourselves.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have that poster on my front door.... so I'm with you; but still find the idea of debt resistance intriguing - don't think I could do it myself - wasn't raised that way - but maybe I need to take a look at that.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Direct Democracy

A democracy in which the power to govern lies directly in the hands of the people rather than being exercised through their representatives.

This equates to mob rule, ie. the majority will always win the vote. This Never works over the long run, which is why the U.S. was set up as a Republic and not a Democracy.

The Political Spectrum Easily Explained - Basic Forms of Government

I would however, like more information on Debt Resistance.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Well the true way to fight debt is by living within your means. I have very little sympathy for those who bought stuff and now feels that they are owed even more because they can't pay it back.
I feel for the many people that get screwed by medical debt because that is not really something that you can plan for. But credit card debt and student loans? Cut the crap and grow up.
Not paying your bills does not make you some freedom fighter

new topics

top topics

join