It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Sharpton: After Gun Control, We May Have To Deal With Knife Control

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Give me one...just one valid reason a citizen needs to own an assault weapon!

Seeing as how you are the judge of "valid" why should anyone waste their time?

Oh for gods sake really? This is a discussion site is it not?...Don't be obtuse.

It's not obtuse. It's reality. There isnt a single reason anyone could give you that you would deem valid. You know it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

reply to post by whatsecret

Give me one...just one valid reason a citizen needs to own an assault weapon! Assault weapons are designed for the purpose of killing as many individuals in a short span of time rather than a rifle which is not. I agree if someone wants to kill they will find any means to do so, but why make it easier for them when there is no reason for that type of weapon in a society if you are not in the military on the front lines. Don't tell me people hunt with it either because that is Horse S**T.

edit on 1/3/2013 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

Because they WANT to own an assault weapon! Since when do you need a reason to buy something that you want?

More and more it is becoming evident that we the people don't want freedom anymore. The freedom to buy a huge truck just because you want it, or to buy a sports car just because you want to take it for a ride on a weekend, or to buy an assult weapon just because you want to go to a shooting range and have some fun with it once in a while. Who are you to decide what anybody need or don't need?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Do you agree that IRAN should have nuclear weapons...or North Korea? For that matter what about terrorists? Should they be able to own nuclear weapons or guns to kill with? They claim they are defending against us! If we follow your way of thinking then your answer would surely be yes would it not?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Give me one...just one valid reason a citizen needs to own an assault weapon!

Seeing as how you are the judge of "valid" why should anyone waste their time?

Oh for gods sake really? This is a discussion site is it not?...Don't be obtuse.

It's not obtuse. It's reality. There isnt a single reason anyone could give you that you would deem valid. You know it.

Do you know me personally? You certainly are make a very assumption about me are you not? because everyone knows when you assume, you make an A$$ out of U and Me.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Do you agree that IRAN should have nuclear weapons...or North Korea? For that matter what about terrorists? Should they be able to own nuclear weapons or guns to kill with? They claim they are defending against us! If we follow your way of thinking then your answer would surely be yes would it not?

Being a terrorist is illegal, so we should ban terrorist and im not trying to be funny. A terrorist with a box cutter or handgun, or bombs up their as$ is the same thing - illegal!

What country with nuclear weapons were invaded in the last 50 years? I can't think of a single one, i hope you can educate me on this. Because to me it appears that just having them (not using) keeps countries safer for their citizens. Do you disagree?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret

Being a terrorist is illegal, so we should ban terrorist and im not trying to be funny. A terrorist with a box cutter or handgun, or bombs up their as$ is the same thing - illegal!

What country with nuclear weapons were invaded in the last 50 years? I can't think of a single one, i hope you can educate me on this. Because to me it appears that just having them (not using) keeps countries safer for their citizens. Do you disagree?

Did or did not George W Bush start a war over Iraq possesing nukes which we now know was a lie. Who is the terrorist now? I am pretty sure that the kid that killed all of thos kids was not a terrorist UNTIL he shot all of them.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret

Did or did not George W Bush start a war over Iraq possesing nukes which we now know was a lie. Who is the terrorist now? I am pretty sure that the kid that killed all of thos kids was not a terrorist UNTIL he shot all of them.

I agree with you. Now please answer my question. What country with nuclear capability was invaded in the last 50 years? Bush went to Iraq because he knew that they didn't have nuclear weapons.

I don't know why we even talking about it here but what's your point?

Assault weapons.. Remember? Is it or is it not a good enough reason to own an assault weapon in America just because you want it?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

My answer would be no. Just because you want something does not automatically give you the right to have it. That is why the society has laws to govern by. If we all got what ever we wanted when ever we want, it would be anarchy. Look at my first post and read it. You will see that I simply don't agree with assault weapons...NOT all guns. I asked a coworker a second ago if he thinks citizens should be able to own assault weapons. He said no, that he sees no valid reason for citizens to own an assault weapon. He is a soldier of the 101st airborne by the way who is also critical of our governments over all actions.

As far as how we got on the discussion you can read the process of the discussion to see how we got here.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

My answer would be no. Just because you want something does not automatically give you the right to have it. That is why the society has laws to govern by

It's unfortunate that many Americans accepted your way of thinking, because it used to be that you can have things if you can afford it and don't harm anybody with it.

I'm not interested in arguing about it, but please tell me why a person with no intensions of hurting anyone cannot legally own an assault rifle in America?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

How would you know if someone had intentions on hurting anyone when they buy the gun unless they are put through an extensive background check, or they were acting insane, or take Ted Bundy for example. A perfectly normal acting individual on the surface, yet he was a twisted and demented individual that kept his serial killing hidden for a long time.Plus, even if that was the case that you should be able to have any gun you want...then why all the incredible opposition from the NRA and gun advocates against background checks and 3 day waiting periods. I mean 3 days, why do they argue about 3 days for a killing device.

About a week or two after the shootings when that guy killed all those children, there was another school attack in China. A man entered the school and began stabbing children. The difference I see there is not one of those kids died. Look how many died from the shooting vs. knife.

Would you say that citizens should be able to have any of these guns they want in defense of their homes and rights?

edit on 1/4/2013 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

How would you know if someone had intentions on hurting anyone when they buy the gun unless they are put through an extensive background check, or they were acting insane, or take Ted Bundy for example.

That's the thing... It's impossible to know who is going to do this with a car, this with a knife, and this with a knife and a car, this with sulphuric acid and a hammer, this with a .22-caliber pistol, this with bleach, this with fertilizer, this with nothing at all, this with gasoline.

I think that is enough reasons to put every single citizen through an extensive background check when they buy cars, guns, knifes, gardening supplies, household chemicals, hammers, rope, sporting gear, medicine, well pretty much everything.

why all the incredible opposition from the NRA and gun advocates against background checks and 3 day waiting periods. I mean 3 days, why do they argue about 3 days for a killing device.

It is only a killing device when it is used to kill people. I think It's safe to say that anything and everything can be a killing device. Don't you understand that when people buy weapons with intent to commit crimes they do not buy it from walmart or with their credit cards, etc? You can make the law for 3 years waiting time, it only applies to good people. Criminals DO NOT CARE about the law.

With the way things are looking I think gun control people will get their wish and much more after that.
edit on 4-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Would you say that citizens should be able to have any of these guns they want in defense of their homes and rights?

I personally do not have or want an assault rifle, but I know people who do and they own it because it's fun to shoot at a shooting range. Some places have them for rent, go try it yourself. I know a guy that has a Ferrari for fun not transportation. If you can afford it why the hell not?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I see no problem with going to range an renting them to shoot for fun. I simply do not see the reason for owning an assault weapon since it is clearly an weapon designed for offensive reasons unlike say a shotgun. I think if i was wanting to protect my family and home then that would be the most logical choice. All you would have to do is cock the thing and a criminal would recognize that sound and high tail it. Just my personal opinion on all of this by the way. Well as far as the assault weapon goes, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Thanks for having a decent discussion about this. Usually people from both sides of the fence on this issue get very angry talking about this.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I see no problem with going to range an renting them to shoot for fun. I simply do not see the reason for owning an assault weapon since it is clearly an weapon designed for offensive reasons unlike say a shotgun.

Like I already said, I personally don't want these types of weapons. But I really do not care if my neighbor owns multiple assault weapons because he is a regular guy just like me and unless he goes completely nuts he won't hurt anyone. But if he all of a sudden does loose his mind he could harm as much people with his truck as with an assault weapon. That's just the way life is... it can end at any second and we have no control over it.

We all are living on a rock that is flying through space on autopilot.

a shotgun. I think if i was wanting to protect my family and home then that would be the most logical choice.

I hope you do want to protect your family. And I think you can do it by parking a tank in front of your house as long as you don't start making your neighbors pay you protection money, and don't start shooting people for no reason or drive it on parked cars on the streets. It's cool with me.

Well as far as the assault weapon goes, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't think we even disagree on the assault weapons, we disagree on the meaning of freedom, and personal responsibility.

I think the outcome of these debates are already out of our control. They probably will pass new laws and from there on there will be more laws until owning any gun without a "good reason" will make us criminals. look at the amount of law enforcement agencies we have, I predict the argument will be that they will protect us with so much available video cameras and all the other "protection" devices that exist. Self defense will not be a "good enough" reason to own anything other that pepper spray and a cell phone to call 911.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join