It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Mind-Blowing 3-D Printed Objects of 2012

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Watch the vids in this post www.abovetopsecret.com... not just single blocks anymore

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject
reply to post by 00777

I'd also bet the ink/resin it uses isn't cheap

What's the most useful thing it can print? lego blocks?

here I thought the idea was to do away with plastic because of the environment

It can print far more than lego block, as you will see if you check out the videos in this reply that was posted way back on page 1 of this thread.

And the plastic, as well as some of the other materials, are not that expensive. 3D printing is not restricted to just plastic either. There are powdered ceramics and metals that can be 3D printed using the laser sintering process.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I guess having used these systems for close to 20 years I'm amazed that people think it's a big deal. I have a pile of parts for prototype electrical connectors on my desk now. I have a friend in the special effects businedd where do you think si fi guns and such come from. Really quite easy to make a phaser we had a bunch laying around from an open house demo a couple of years ago

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
I guess having used these systems for close to 20 years I'm amazed that people think it's a big deal. I have a pile of parts for prototype electrical connectors on my desk now. I have a friend in the special effects businedd where do you think si fi guns and such come from. Really quite easy to make a phaser we had a bunch laying around from an open house demo a couple of years ago

The reason they are such a big deal now is that they are just coming into the public awareness and some new 3-D printers are being developed for the hobbyist at an affordable cost. Most "new" high tech developments that become overnight stars have been in the laboratory for many years prior to John Q Public becoming aware of them.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Whats different then going to a copy shop if you have the actual key?
Then you have only one key. Yeah, you could print out all possible keys. Or you crack the cylinder and gain entry in 5 seconds.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JarheadFidelis
reply to post by happykat39

Cool stuff. Thanks for that. I am a little disturbed though at some of the stuff that can be printed.....

Plates to print Benjamins.....

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It Reproduces or Replicates however it still needs raw materials to do just that similar to the ink in a printer. Thats a market we need to focus as well. I'm sure eventually the 3D printers would be in almost every household.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus

Originally posted by JarheadFidelis

Cool stuff. Thanks for that. I am a little disturbed though at some of the stuff that can be printed.....

Plates to print Benjamins.....

The resolution on some of the newer laser sintering models is getting fine enough that it may be possible soon, if not already. Imagine just scanning a bill and making a near perfect set of plates from the scan. The government will have to come up with some very good new technology against counterfeiting pretty quickly to stay ahead of the crooks.

BTW & FYI - Even though the processes used in printing paper money make it almost impossible to make really good counterfeit money, the average "street life" of a new bill is only about two weeks before counterfeits good enough to get past the average store clerk are being passed.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
BTW & FYI - Even though the processes used in printing paper money make it almost impossible to make really good counterfeit money, the average "street life" of a new bill is only about two weeks before counterfeits good enough to get past the average store clerk are being passed.

Do you have a source this sounds interesting?

BTT:
I saw things that blowed my mind more, like printed, moving gears in one part.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I actually have some experience with auto cad which is a program for the 3d printer. It's awesome to look at what you can make yourself. The program is easy to use and there are some 3d printers that are publicly available so if you want to you can make whatever you want. Eventually we can make teeth, organs, guns on a mass scale like in this slideshow.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad

Originally posted by happykat39

Do you have a source this sounds interesting?

BTT:
I saw things that blowed my mind more, like printed, moving gears in one part.

No source, I just remember reading it quite some time ago in an article on counterfeiting in a magazine. But since it takes a lot less to fool a store clerk than it does to fool a bank it stands to reason that it doesn't take very long to produce "passable" funny money.

Want your mind "blowed" even more, go to THIS THREAD, which is a spinoff of this one.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad
reply to post by unityemissions

Whats different then going to a copy shop if you have the actual key?
Then you have only one key. Yeah, you could print out all possible keys. Or you crack the cylinder and gain entry in 5 seconds.

The physical holding of the key.

You don't need that with a 3d scanner.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If seeing isn't believing then let me tell you that my return on investment in DDD has hit almost 96% in the past 10 months.

edit on 3-1-2013 by zayonara because: stock went up again!

edit on 3-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
Hopefully they'll figure out how to 3d print 3d printers so we can all get one for cheap.

This is the holy grail of 3D print technology. To have a printer that could print another printer.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube

Originally posted by goochball
Hopefully they'll figure out how to 3d print 3d printers so we can all get one for cheap.

This is the holy grail of 3D print technology. To have a printer that could print another printer.

It's already 60% doable. Saw the project a while back. One of the printers has .stl file on the website to print out an optional part as well.

If you want to print out very intricate, or metallic objects, you gotta class up a notch or two in 3d printers to get that last 40% parts. Basically you're looking at $30-500k to print out everything in a $500-1,500 printer.

Remember, these 3D printer class used to be called, "rapid prototype machines". That's all they are. They work with ABS and PLA. The level of detail is limited, as is the speed of print.

We've still got a decade or so to go before this tech matures. What will we see then? The ability to print out pretty much anything, fast, and with high precision. Not yet there.

The cool thing that I'm waiting for is a cheap, fast way to print with a sugary, food-safe, edible material. Imagine printing out your lunch box for a day, eating the lunch, and consuming the box as a treat afterwards!

edit on 3-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by kudegras

When it can replicate matter it will end world hunger, When it can replicate houses it will end poverty, when it can replicate aircrafts, cars and spacecrafts it will transport all man.

There will be no need for money because you can replicate your hearts desires.

You will not need a "job".

One step closer to the vision of gene roddenberry.

edit on 3-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Sorry to say his but we dont need more people and more buildings! over here in England the rain water has nowhere to go now because of all the buildings.... its causing mas flooding in certain areas!! The Rivers rise and the water just streams down the street!

We have to stop building in over-populated areas otherwise its going to get worse and these guys need to invent things which can save the planet!!

edit on 3-1-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
So I don't have the patience to read all the pages of this thread. I just don't understand how it prints different textures. I saw this on TV (where else?
) and I don't understand it! I think this is an awesome creation but geez how does it work? You can just link a video or something, I would love to learn about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jill89
So I don't have the patience to read all the pages of this thread. I just don't understand how it prints different textures. I saw this on TV (where else?
) and I don't understand it! I think this is an awesome creation but geez how does it work? You can just link a video or something, I would love to learn about it.

Errr, it's only up to three pages, hardly requiring a lot in the 'patience' department.

Either you're curious enough to do the research and learning, or you're not. Maybe we should invent a technology that saws people's skulls open and dumps the knowledge in.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jill89

Just go to YouTube and do a YouTube site search on the term "3d printers" and you will see far more videos with far more variety than it is possible to post here. If you go back a page or two and look for one of my earlier posts you will see four videos of medical 3D printers that will blow your mind.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

now I can print up a super villain lair

and a bat belt lol..

what the..

and print up dishes?

never wash a dish again..

oh the possibilities..

I want to print a surf board..

skateboard..

a ramp..

how about a new bumper when I get in a accident?

can gieko send me a ford bumper file

and I can mount it..

amazing..

I could use a new desk chair atm.. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join