learn more

The Most Mind-Blowing 3-D Printed Objects of 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+23 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The new wonder child of the technical world is the 3-D printer. Various models are capable of printing anything from simple low resolution plastic parts to multi material multi color 3-D printers that can be used to make actual production grade prototypes from plastics and metals. Some feed the plastic through a heated nozzle and others use fine plastic, ceramic or metal powder and laser sinter it one very fine layer at a time.

Here is a SLIDE SHOW of some of the best products of this fairly new and rapidly growing technology

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That was an awesome slideshow. Thank you for this awesome find.

It's amazing how far the technology has come with this. Contour crafting to print an entire building is a sweet concept.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

The 3-D Printing Photo Booth Of The Future

I definitely got to get me one of 'me'.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Cool stuff. Thanks for that. I am a little disturbed though at some of the stuff that can be printed.....

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Number 8:

At a New York hacker conference back in July, a German security consultant known only as “Ray” made something of a mockery of one of law enforcement's most important accoutrement: the handcuff. Using plastic handcuff keys that he printed from CAD files on a 3-D fabricator, he wowed the crowd be easily popping open sets of cuffs designed by multiple European security firms, highlighting the potential for foul play inherent in a technology that makes the sharing of physical objects so simple. Criminals have long made handcuff keys, but doing so required getting one's hands on an actual key and creating a duplicate in a metal shop. With 3-D printing, you just need a digital file--easily shared and duplicated. The capacity to subvert the law is but a mouse click away.

3d Scan a key and print it out. That could be an issue until locks are all digital.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Number 8:

3d Scan a key and print it out. That could be an issue until locks are all digital.

Man! Big issue! Until they are all digital, one might think about rigging up a barricade.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hopefully they'll figure out how to 3d print 3d printers so we can all get one for cheap.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Wow... I need to get one of those 3D printers.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if within the next one hundred years (provided we haven't destroyed ourselves) we've developed this technology far enough to "print" life. Their excuse will probably be along the lines of "To fight the growing hunger of the population" when in reality it's used to produce soldiers and the like.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Will they be any good when we acend to the 5th dimention?

S and F
edit on 2-1-2013 by Ranong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
Hopefully they'll figure out how to 3d print 3d printers so we can all get one for cheap.

Well, that is the basis for the open-sourced REPRAP printer.

You just need to add motors, a bit of electronics, and some metal, but everything is easily available. You can buy a reprap as a kit, or pre-built, but I do warn you, only buy the kit if you have enjoyed mecchano as a kid, lol

RepRap takes the form of a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects. Since many parts of RepRap are made from plastic and RepRap prints those parts, RepRap self-replicates by making a kit of itself - a kit that anyone can assemble given time and materials. It also means that - if you've got a RepRap - you can print lots of useful stuff, and you can print another RepRap for a friend...

reprap.org...

edit on 2/1/2013 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)
edit on 2/1/2013 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glycon
I wouldn't be surprised if within the next one hundred years (provided we haven't destroyed ourselves) we've developed this technology far enough to "print" life. Their excuse will probably be along the lines of "To fight the growing hunger of the population" when in reality it's used to produce soldiers and the like.

See more videos on the subject HERE

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Do they have those at Kinkos? I wonder what a simple reproduction (one copy) of something costs?

That repo of the gun was misleading. The finished product was only the "receiver" part. It "broke after 6 shots". You still need the other parts like a (steel) barrel and ammo. These printers are a long way from reproducing stuff like gun powder or gasoline.

Nice toys to play with in Universities and space, maybe. My idea of reproduction is some old coot with a garage full of tools and a lifetime of experience as a machinist and welder.

Dying breed

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I have one of the early model "Makerbot Cupcakes"... www.makerbot.com...

It has built me all the plastic parts I need for a "Mendel" ... reprap.org...

I have etched my circuit board, am waiting on components, and all my hardware to arrive.

For about $250, I have quadrupled my build space.

It was the steepest learning curve I have ever been on.

And the most useful thing I printed in 2012 was replacement glow-in-the-dark buttons for the other 1/2s watch!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
The new wonder child of the technical world is the 3-D printer. Various models are capable of printing anything from simple low resolution plastic parts to multi material multi color 3-D printers that can be used to make actual production grade prototypes from plastics and metals. Some feed the plastic through a heated nozzle and others use fine plastic, ceramic or metal powder and laser sinter it one very fine layer at a time.

Here is a SLIDE SHOW of some of the best products of this fairly new and rapidly growing technology

I truly want one of these 3-D printers, I think they are cool as anything.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JarheadFidelis

yeah very disturbing in paricular if you are a car manufacturer of parts....this opens open a whole new world of counterfeit junk or black market products that will extend far past purses and tickets......
edit on 2-1-2013 by chrismarco because: sle
edit on 2-1-2013 by chrismarco because: i can't spell

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If you want one. Invest money in the technology now. Eventually it's going to transform day to day life. It'll do away with global manufacturing borders and level the playing field. It will virtually eliminate the shipping industry. It's one big step closer to a molecular transport.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. This is the coolest technology. I certainly will follow the development closely.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Isn't it great how technology is killing off all the skilled manufacturing jobs of bygones eras.
I know full well as a Trade qualified Printing Machinist with a Printing Business I had run for 10 years found myself at a cross roads in 1998.
My choice find a bank or money lender willing to back me as due to the advent of computers and copiers I found my bread and butter of 10 years, spot colour work disapearing to be replaced with full colour work of which my machinery at the time couldn't do.
After many appointments with banks and the downturn in the economy I couldn't find a backer and thus sold my equipment and went and got a job as a Printer. After running my own business for 10 years working for a boss again was hard yards indeed.
These days most Printers sublet their work to trade only printers, only handling the Graphic Design side of things.
I also started doing this as well 4 years ago on a part time basis.
Looks like injection moulders and the like may start seeing a similar situation as myself.
I have nothing against technology, I just feel sad the people who have done the hard yards over many years. honing their craft only to see technology killing off their job prospects by inventing machines that takes little skill to operate.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

When it can replicate matter it will end world hunger, When it can replicate houses it will end poverty, when it can replicate aircrafts, cars and spacecrafts it will transport all man.

There will be no need for money because you can replicate your hearts desires.

You will not need a "job".

One step closer to the vision of gene roddenberry.

edit on 3-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join