It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Women Turn to Guns After Gang Rape Outcry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Had it the first time. As you can clearly see in my post I am stating that both are just as effective. I was just answering your question. As simple as the answer was for me to see I can tell you are having some trouble so I AGAIN answered your question. THEY ARE EQUAL in all aspects.

Now once again I will say that both should be legal and allowed to be carried by citizens IMO. I know you may not agree with that so lets agree to disagree. However making something illegal will never stop the criminals from breaking what ever law we create.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

Women get raped all the time in America. Guns don't stop rape. What stops rape is living in a decent society, a democracy, you know, with liberal laws, healthcare, education, no death penalty, no guns, no conservative assholes with backwards attitudes towards women.

I live in a decent society, a democracy, with liberal laws and education and positive attitudes towards women.

Guess what. Got raped anyway.

If I'd had a gun, would I have used it? Probably not; I was young and terrified.

But if someone tried to hurt me again, he'll yes I'd shoot him.

I wasn't speaking literally, I don't think rape is literally stopped here, obviously, nor do I think anyone in support of guns thinks guns would literally stop rape. But living in a liberal society with liberal laws and positive attitudes towards women IS proven to reduce, a better word, rape.

Where as guns do not decrease rape

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
One prey could and does make for one less predator.
It's common sense.
Allow all capable and responsible individual a fire arm then they could prevent themselves from being a victim or someone else from being a victim.

And yes, the U.S. does have a high crime/rape rate versus the Europe but also take into consideration the variances in drug laws then take into account the rapes/crimes in the U.S. and how many were under the influence.

Most people for ant-gun laws are people that have in one way or another been effected by firearms. To those people, think logically with your brain, not with emotion.
edit on 2-1-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Women get raped all the time in America. Guns don't stop rape. What stops rape is living in a decent society, a democracy, you know, with liberal laws, healthcare, education, no death penalty, no guns, no conservative assholes with backwards attitudes towards women.

I live in a decent society, a democracy, with liberal laws and education and positive attitudes towards women.

If I'd had a gun, would I have used it? Probably not; I was young and terrified.

I wasn't speaking literally, I don't think rape is literally stopped here, obviously, nor do I think anyone in support of guns thinks guns would literally stop rape. But living in a liberal society with liberal laws and positive attitudes towards women IS proven to reduce, a better word, rape.

I promise you, a gun will decrease MY getting raped again.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Keep on going there sparky, but I think you missed this link from my previous post

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

When hundreds of concerned women turned up in person at the Delhi licensing office, they were told that the threat of rape and violent crime “could not be reason enough” for them to obtain a firearm, and officials were ordered by their superiors to hand the women a letter assuring them that “their daughters were indeed safe on Delhi’s roads.” How a letter would be any use against a violent rapist was not explained.
So gun grabbers. Do you support the rape and murder of these innocent women? Do you, in your self-righteousness, deny them the ability to defend themselves? What about your own daughters, sisters, mothers? Would you prefer they be brutally raped and beaten to death instead of having the right and ability to defend themselves?

The incident generated massive public outcry against the treatment of women in India and a call for tougher anti-violence laws. Figures show that a woman is raped in Delhi every 14 hours and rape cases have doubled in India since 1998. Government efforts to step up police patrols have failed to reduce the rate of violent crime targeting women.
This is no onetime thing. It is an epidemic and it is growing quickly. Is it ok because only one woman is being brutalized at a time?

Link
edit on 2-1-2013 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

Lets look at rape statistics for the US:

Definition provided by the US Department of Justice's Annual National Crime Victimization Survey.)
Rape Incidents

1.3 American women are raped every minute
78 rapes occur per hour

1872 rapes occur each day
56,160 rapes occur each month
700,000 rapes occur each year
www.dvsac.net...

Rapes and gun ownership have nothing to do with eachother. How will a gun help the rape victim if the rapist also carries a gun ? You could argue that rapes are a product of how the society treats women in general

It’s not simply the high rate of rape in India that’s driving the protests’ virulence. In a passionate speech, Kavita Krishnan, secretary of the All India Progressive Women’s Association, spoke to the deeper issue behind the protests: the “blame the victim” culture in India around sex crimes. She notes that government and police officials recently insisted that most rapists can’t be prosecuted in India because, as one official put it, they are known to the women attacked. Other officials have publicly suggested that victims themselves are “asking for it” by their use of freedom of movement.
www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Let also be honest and clear that most of all reported rapes are not violent attacks. More than 2/3 of all reported rapes are date rape situations and would not have any bearings on this topic. The protection aspect would really only be applied to attack type rapes.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Then why, as his been pointed out twice to you now, does America suffer more rape crimes than most European nations?
Because you are either mistaken or lying. I am not sure which, therefore I will give you the benefit of the doubt and go with mistaken and too lazy to research. In rapes per capita, the US did not even make the top 50 countries in 2008(the latest I could find a breakdown for) and in 2009 we were #57 for total number of rapes. I stand ready to receive your apology for such a brazen misstatement of fact.

Link

You're mistaken. As of 2010, there is 0.273 rapes in America per 1,000 people. Using your own source, there are only 2 European nations with higher incidence of rape

link   
reply to post by ArtooDetoo

And a lot less rapes would have occurred if the victim had brandished a firearm. In other words, had a gun to prevent the rape.

link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill

Let also be honest and clear that most of all reported rapes are not violent attacks. More than 2/3 of all reported rapes are date rape situations and would not have any bearings on this topic. The protection aspect would really only be applied to attack type rapes.

Oh, and every rape in Europe is violent?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Yes, most rapists know their victim, who has mistakenly put her trust in the wrong guy. And a lot of victims never report the rape.

But in stranger/abduction scenarios, if the woman is trained effectively AND willing to shoot, then the gun is a definite benefit.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Keep on going there sparky, but I think you missed this link from my previous post

No. I saw it, and I corrected you. You're wrong. Your information is wrong. I'm right. My information is right.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I promise you, a gun will decrease MY getting raped again.

I unlike most people praise and defend your right to protect yourself. You should have never been the victim of this atrocious act in the first place and have every right to keep from being a victim again. I have no use for the people who commit these horrible acts and have no problem with you or any woman, man or child putting these creeps six feet under. It's a lot cheaper to supply you with bullets then it is to waste on a trial.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Just a question...haven't there been several threads lately about Muslim men raping women in England and France? That certain areas in these countries were seeing an increase in this type of crime?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by ArtooDetoo

And a lot less rapes would have occurred if the victim had brandished a firearm. In other words, had a gun to prevent the rape.

But what if the rapist also carries a gun ?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Easy there friend....I know being from Europe your people have a long history of being persecuted and that can lead to being on the defensive. I however never said anything comparing rapes in other countries to the US. I only pointed out a fact for most US rapes. I don't know Europe's statistics but I would imagine the 2/3 being date rape is also pretty close in Europe.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Just a question...haven't there been several threads lately about Muslim men raping women in England and France? That certain areas in these countries were seeing an increase in this type of crime?

Yes, and like in the cases you mentioned in your last post, these are largely non violent, or as non violent as rape can be.

More often that not these are cases where, with the help of drugs, alcohol, clothes and money, gangs of Asian men(I say Asian because they're not necessarily Muslim) are praying on and taking advantage of young girls. In most cases they're buying trust and the sex is consensual, but of course we know a teenager cannot consent to having sex to a 30 year old man who's bribing her. Sometimes they are violent, too, but more often than not you would describe them as non-violent.

They're not situations in which a gun would be of much help, as the girls being young, vulnerable(and usually drugged up) don't always recognise it as rape. Many think of one of the attackers as their boyfriend, until they start passing the girl around to friends

Anyway I don't want to go of on a tangent but i can't see how guns or weapons would work in most these cases

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Like I stated before, most of the anti-gun people have been effected by a firearm sometime in their life, one way or another. Or they are narrow minded in their thought process.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

In the U.S. the second amendment was put into effect as a reason.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

It can work because a gunshot to a predator will prevent further attacks.
It's common sense, If you go to "date" rape someone and they shoot you and you live, You'll be less likely to commit another rape or attempt of rape. And look at the stats of repeat offenders of rapes.... Guns seal the deal. Think logically with your brain as opposed to emotion. That's what causes problems.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Then why, as his been pointed out twice to you now, does America suffer more rape crimes than most European nations?
Because you are either mistaken or lying. I am not sure which, therefore I will give you the benefit of the doubt and go with mistaken and too lazy to research. In rapes per capita, the US did not even make the top 50 countries in 2008(the latest I could find a breakdown for) and in 2009 we were #57 for total number of rapes. I stand ready to receive your apology for such a brazen misstatement of fact.

Link

You're mistaken. As of 2010, there is 0.273 rapes in America per 1,000 people. Using your own source, there are only 2 European nations with higher incidence of rape
I don't see that. 2009 is the newest year I see. Where is your 2010 link?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join