It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Link Between Cosmic Radiation And Alzheimer's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Are our brains being literally fried by cosmic rays? Probably not unless you are on a spaceship to mars.

SOURCE

Space Travel May Be Harmful to the Brain, Study Suggests; Prolonged Cosmic Radiation Exposure Could Hasten Alzheimer's

"The possibility that radiation exposure in space may give rise to health problems such as cancer has long been recognized. However, this study shows for the first time that exposure to radiation levels equivalent to a mission to Mars could produce cognitive problems and speed up changes in the brain that are associated with Alzheimer's disease."

No worries Mate, as long as you stay close to home.

While space is full of radiation, the earth's magnetic field generally protects the planet and people in low earth orbit from these particles.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
did you forget this was posted the other day?

your slipping ... better get checked out!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

I always do a search before I post. The search on this subject did not show any other threads on the subject. Just to be sure I checked it again with no results. If you know where this has been recently posted please provide a link.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

I always do a search before I post. The search on this subject did not show any other threads on the subject. Just to be sure I checked it again with no results. If you know where this has been recently posted please provide a link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420

Not the same thing. My thread is about medical evidence that cosmic radiation in deep space can cause Alzheimer's. The one you linked to is about a possible conspiracy to give it to astronauts who "talk too much about the wrong things". In my thread the astronauts would have to be in deep space away from the earth's magnetosphere to be in danger. In the other thread it is speculated that the government is going to be doing something to cause it in astronauts who talk too much about UFOs even though, according to my thread, they never left the safe area of low earth orbit.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420

Not the same thing. My thread is about medical evidence that cosmic radiation in deep space can cause Alzheimer's. The one you linked to is about a possible conspiracy to give it to astronauts who "talk too much about the wrong things". In my thread the astronauts would have to be in deep space away from the earth's magnetosphere to be in danger. In the other thread it is speculated that the government is going to be doing something to cause it in astronauts who talk too much about UFOs even though, according to my thread, they never left the safe area of low earth orbit.

Well a bit of hair splitting there, you could always enlighten that thread with your thoughts. IMO the other thread could benefit from some common sense since the articles in both threads essentially say the same thing and the other thread made some pretty big conjecture in the OP.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. A thread about a conspiracy to artificially induce a disease in astronauts for flapping their lips too much about NO NO subjects, and a thread about the possibility of contracting the disease from natural causes in deep space away from the protection of the magnetosphere are not the same thing at all even if they are talking about the same disease.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

reply to post by topherman420

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. A thread about a conspiracy to artificially induce a disease in astronauts for flapping their lips too much about NO NO subjects, and a thread about the possibility of contracting the disease from natural causes in deep space away from the protection of the magnetosphere are not the same thing at all even if they are talking about the same disease.

All I meant is the information in both articles is the same its how the two separate threads had interpreted them while still presenting the same facts in the article. Like I said, I think the other thread could use the more honest theory that was presented in the articles and this thread. Consider our back and forth bumps for your thread lol

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Since the other thread isn't going anywhere too fast and this was genuinely fascinating to me I should probably add to the convo?

Anywho, with this discovery (though if I remember correctly its still a bit premature in theory but very telling and im sure it will be also verified by others) it opens up alot of doors in terms of invention needed to survive such a trip, and it shows that hopefully there's going to be some serious discussion and planning of a manned deep space flight. Im wondering about shielding, and what types of innovations will pop up in regards to protecting astronauts. There is however many many other things they have to worry about as well and some not so easily protected from, especially the psychological part.

Also star and flag for a more accurate title and a proper unbiased OP in regards to the content of the article.

new topics

top topics

join