It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fiscal Cliff Bill subsidizing NASCAR, Disney, Goldman Sachs ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
www.nakedcapitalism.com...

1) Help out NASCAR
Sec 312 extends the “seven year recovery period for motorsports entertainment complex property”, which is to say it allows anyone who builds a racetrack and associated facilities to get tax breaks on it. This one was projected to cost $43 million over two years.

i don't watch NASCAR anymore, but the last time i checked, they were doing pretty good.
i understand that building facillities for these events is bound to cost quite a lot.
with the economy like it is , i am unable to start any business ventures. and i do have several ready to go.
it's just a sign of the times showing what it takes for projects to get off the ground here[kissing DC's butt]

there are 7 other examples of this b.s. that this guy [Matt Stoller] has uncovered.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
so wtf does nascar do with all of the god damned money it makes from ticket sales, and advertising... same with the other people..

You know what I fix computers for a living, if I don't fix computers and keep customer I DONT MAKE ANY MONEY, that is my problem and as a business owner i understand that i don't get bailed out if I can't make money its my problem to come up with a solution... That is how it works, not sure why it should be any different for any other business...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
lol. just goes to prove america government is all about making money and nothing else

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Hmmm
One that caught me was - the railroads.
As a rule, these enterprises received some of the biggest Start-Up Bonuses in all of history...back in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
When Texas was a fledgling state in the Union, their coiffures weren't overflowing with moolah... But, to develop the state for intra-&-inter-state commerce, they offered railroads a deal - for every certain # of miles of rail-line developed, the railroad would receive (be compensated with) a certain amount of land.
Some railroads didn't make it long enough to 'cash-in'...
These allotments of land were expected to be "sold" by the railroads (so that they could cover their costs &/or make a profit)...
Most of the railroads I have encountered didn't need to sell these lands...and, in fact, kept most of them...and, today, are some of the largest holders (owners) of Mineral Rights in said State of Texas.
A part of what the railroads get/got in the early days (in other states) was a significant Right of Way that extended on both sides of the actual track 50' to 100'...
One might ask - "Well, how could they do anything with that?"
It is reported that one (at least) such railroad made deals with those in the Telecom & Internet Infrastructure fields, to lay their fiber within the Railroad's Right of Way/s...and an extra set of fiber...for the Railroad company's fledgling telecom, while they were at it...
Anyway - there may be railroad company's that are behind the curve...but, I don't see why they should get any more favorable treatment from the taxman than any other person trying to start or sustain a business...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

they need those railways to haul away all our cash!

good info to know, thanks!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
they need those railways to haul away all our cash!

good info to know, thanks!

Oh yeah...and US...to the FEMA camps.
Forgot about that.
Well, I guess it's for a good purpose after all.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
another 6 silly spending items

found some more from a different site wich also has a link to the actual bill, if anyone wants to do some heavy research.

*read it before congress does*

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
they also gave tax cuts to rum producers in Puerto Rico and the virgin islands, think it might be interesting to do some digging and find out, who owns these company's............. bet it's some of our lovely congress men and women. I was really hoping that during this election cycle people would wake up and maybe just maybe finally vote OUT senate and congress members because I'll I heard from people at work, the store, from patients leading up to the elections was how fed up they were with how their representatives were performing and then............ they all got voted back in with a very few exceptions, so I just get tired of hearing people talk about what a crappy job their doing in Washington. We had a chance to send a message in November and FAILED
. (sorry random rant)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

6 Things You Won't Believe That Are In The Fiscal Cliff Bill That The Senate Passed At 2 AM While Most Americans Were Drunk

1. There's a provision extending a tax policy related to Puerto Rican rum.
2. And a tax credit for 2- and 3-wheel electric vehicles.
3. Something having to do with Diesel Fuel
4. An extension of some special rules for the film and television business.
5. A gift to the car-racing world
6. Help to asparagus farmers.

from above link^

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Corporate welfare...

I find it astonishing that some conservatives resent the social programs that actually help people in need but rarely say anything against government sponsored welfare to companies that don't really need it; such as oil companies that show record profits, getting taxpayer supported grants and huge subsidies.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I thought Obama and the dems were all about the lil man?

I thought they were gonna get us out of this mess?

I thought he was going to be transparent (3 min to read the bill)

I thought Obama wasnt about money for the fat cats..........

Any Obama supporters out there wana speak out on this?

*crickets*

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Once again the truth comes out:

www.fox19.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
Corporate welfare...

I find it astonishing that some conservatives resent the social programs that actually help people in need but rarely say anything against government sponsored welfare to companies that don't really need it; such as oil companies that show record profits, getting taxpayer supported grants and huge subsidies.

I think you would find true conservatives in disgust, like myself; though I am not sure I even fit that label or any other label. Compartments are for suckers. A true conservative wants a level playing field where the government gives no favor to anyone in the market, it just isn't their place to do so. Let the market decide on which products and/or services survive and are economically feasible. If you want to see what a true Conservative is like, read Barry Goldwater. These schmucks today are just parasites; both sides. I have democrat friends that feel just as my republican friends do, they are without party because both sides are just insane and their for their power-fill.

That said, you mentioned oil companies. I would like to think that you are also against the massive subsidies given to "green" energy companies too right? I mean, why are subsidies good for one but not the other?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Oink Oink........Oink Oink.....Is there any way to find who's pork it is?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Corporate welfare...

Whoa.... why try to flip this on conservatives? Conservatives are disgusted. That's why something like 150 Republicans voted against this in the House.

Your post was very clever though.... shift attention from Obama's culpability, then create a straw man conservative to bash.

This was a Democratic plan to subsidize government sponsored welfare of large corporations.

You're blind reactive partisanship is 100% part of the problem, not the solution.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Not really unless certain "pork" is introduced as an amendment to the bill. You can look to the committee who drafted the bill and its co-sponsors to maybe narrow it down, but it might be hard to find the exact representatives who stuffed the nonsense into the bill.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

If you watch the video in the first link I posted a couple posts before yours, it will explain that some of the 'pork' requests came directly from the white house aka Obama administration aka Obama.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755

Corporate welfare...

Whoa.... why try to flip this on conservatives? Conservatives are disgusted. That's why something like 150 Republicans voted against this in the House.

Your post was very clever though.... shift attention from Obama's culpability, then create a straw man conservative to bash.

This was a Democratic plan to subsidize government sponsored welfare of large corporations.

You're blind reactive partisanship is 100% part of the problem, not the solution.

Good post...starred!

edit on 4-1-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Corporate welfare...

Interesting...why would you default pivot to blaming the right?

If you go to this thread (www.abovetopsecret.com...), which has the breakdown of how the votes went down, you will realize that the:

Senate (Democrat controlled) passed it overwhelmingly. 62 YEA by Democrats & 37 YEA by Republicans. 8 NAY consisting of 5 Republicans and 3 Democrats

House (Republican controlled) passed it with a larger block against it, that block consisting of mainly Republicans (257-167) With 172 Democrats +85 Republicans voting and 151 Republicans + 16 Democrats voting NO.

Now that you're armed with these facts, would you care to blame the Democrats as well?

new topics

top topics

join