It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pending Gun Legislation in New York....get ready!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I decided to see what Bills are up for vote this coming week in the NYS Legislature...and wish I hadn't.

I cannot embedd, nor can I paste portions of the bill as I use a stupid-phone for my online travels. I give my word that all information forthcoming is completely accurate and taken directly from the Bill themselves. All one needs to do is type in NYS pending gun legislation and read the bills yourself if there is a question.

There are currently SIX different gun restriction bills pending in the Legislature. All are up for voting on January 9, 2013.
Five of the six are nothing really as they cover gun shop employees, training in schools, and safetylock laws. There is one Bill however, that is the epitome of our worst fears regarding record keeping of rifles and shotguns.
I picked the most egregeous of what is in this Bill. I left some parts out that deserve mentioning, but doing this on a phone means Im hampered by slow type times and although I wanna type it all, I cannot.

So onward...

Bill S41-2013: Vote scheduled on January 9,2013

S.907

(1) Every dealer shall record the make, model,caliber, or gauge, as well as serial numbers of all firearms,rifles, and shotguns that are acquired,sold, or otherwise disposed of. Monthly backups will be required in case of thefts,fire,etc. All records will be made available at the request of the Superintendant (Capt of NYS Police).

(3) Firearm, shotgun, and rifle sales information, including serial numbers, date of sale, and identity of purchasers, shall be maintained and made available to all Government LE Agencies upon request.

S.908: Cooperation with LE

(1) Dealers are to provide Government LE Agencies with full access to any and all documents pertaining to the sale or acquisition of all firearms, rifles, and shotguns.
(2) Participate in and comply with all monitoring of firearm, rifle, or shotgun distribution by manufacturers or Government LE Agencies.

(3) (which has strange wording throughout, but I only highlight one small portion here)
Report all ATF trace requests of firearms, rifles, and shotguns on a monthly basis...UNLESS SPECIFICALLY DIRECTED NOT TO BY THE ATF. (Emphasis mine)

(5) Report any firearm, rifle, or shotgun purchases which appear to be straw purchases or otherwise create a reasonable suspicion that the firearm, rifle, or shotgun may be diverted from the legal stream of commerce.

S.910 Rules and Regulations

(1) The Superintendent (Captain of NYS Police) may promulgate additional rules and regulations the Superintendent deems necessary to prevent firearms from being diverted from the legal stream of commerce.

(12) All gunsmiths shall now keep a record book, open to inspection by Government LE gencies, and shall enter every transaction by them including dates, times, name, age, occupation, and residence of any person to whom a firearm is delivered.

Those are the highlights and I don't think I am alone in thinking this is crazy talk! I wish to make two points I found interesting.

In section (5) above, the Bill speaks of curttailing straw-purchasers. How can this even happen? So Joe Gunshop Guy thinks I may be purchasing a shotgun for someone else....then what? Does he sell it to me or does he call LE ? If so, how will that questioning go without violating my 4th Ammendment?
If they deny the sale based on speculation from an employee, it also violates my 2nd ammendment right. It seems like this provision leaves the door wide open to somehow deny purchases based on the assumption of an employee who is not qualified to make such judgements.

My second big issue is under the heading,"Rules and Regulations" where it says the Captain of the NYS Police can,"Promulgate (make up) addition rules or regulations that he deems necessary..."

Since when do State Police, whom are not elected by the People, make any new law arbitrarily and without oversight!? They have got to be kidding me with this crap.

Im anxiously awaiting all of your takes on this as well as reading any pending legislation in other states which is similar. Please check the pending Bills in your state as those laws will have to change before any new Federal Law banning anything can be done.

Good luck getting me or anyone I know to comply with this NY. Your stupid State Police really have no idea of the firepower us rednecks have in the countryside. Your shotguns and AR's are utterly useless when facing M-14's and .50 cals floating around in my neck of the woods.
edit on 2-1-2013 by MisterMaster because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jan 2 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Sounds like the government is going to want to start knowing when you sneeze.

Talk about turning into a police state..

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMaster

Here's what came up for me on a search.

Is this the right link?

If so, I'll leave it.

S41-2013:

peace

edit on 2-1-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The first thing these politicians should be required to do before submitting their bills is explain to the public in detail how each measure proposed would affect events such as the ones they claim to be affecting.

Dont just let loose mouth diarrhea rambling on about things you have no clue of. Take us through point by point, step by step and explain it to us.

They wont because they cant.

Any bills, regulations or legislation they cannot directly connect to the act, crime, situation they are portending to affect should be nullified automatically.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
How is this a bad thing

Their not talking about taking away guns or even restricting them, just keeping track of where they are and who has them. Why the hell isnt this already in place?

Wanting a gun but not wanting anyone to know you have it just seems dodgy to me, if your not gonna use it for crime whats the problem?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Most people who are going to use a gun for a crime aren't going to go into their local sporting goods store and buy a handgun with the serial number still on it off of the shelf.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This is really nothing new. Federal Firearms Licenseholders are already required by ATF regs to keep a "Bound Book" detailing all this information. Woe be it to the lowly gun store owner that doesn't keep his I's dotted and his T's crossed in his bound book. I think the only thing that this bill will do is add state/local LEO to the people that can view the bound book...but really it wasn't all that hard to get the info from the ATF if you were a state/local JBT.

There are other issues that require immediate attention.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

Wanting a gun but not wanting anyone to know you have it just seems dodgy to me, if your not gonna use it for crime whats the problem?

I know, right?

Having over $30,000 of merchandise in my home and not wanting anyone to know about it is totally dodgy!!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I would call my State Rep. and State Senator immediately and demand a thorough explanation for this one you posted:

(3) (which has strange wording throughout, but I only highlight one small portion here) Report all ATF trace requests of firearms, rifles, and shotguns on a monthly basis...UNLESS SPECIFICALLY DIRECTED NOT TO BY THE ATF. (Emphasis mine)

My other thoughts: This is part of The Nudge Theory.
Overwhelm and burden the shop owners with massive amounts of reporting requirements.
Call the state's NRA affiliates and get their take.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I know, right?

Having over $30,000 of merchandise in my home and not wanting anyone to know about it is totally dodgy!!

Having over $30,000 worth of guns full stop sounds dodgy in my opinion

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The same thing can be said about the the national wiretapping??? If we as citizens have done nothing wrong why eavesdrop...

But don't worry they'll nurf your house for ya

edit on 2-1-2013 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by johngalt722

Most people who are going to use a gun for a crime aren't going to go into their local sporting goods store and buy a handgun with the serial number still on it off of the shelf.

OK but that doesnt explain what the issue with law abiding citizens registering their weapons is

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Didnt their mayor also recently threaten a outright confiscation? How else do you expect them to do that? They have gun registration to make it easier to get the guns away from law abiding citizens.

link   

Originally posted by silo13

Here's what came up for me on a search.

Is this the right link?

If so, I'll leave it.

S41-2013:

peace

edit on 2-1-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

Much obliged...that is indeed the correct link.

link   
I think it's wrong because where does it stop? A gun can be used as a deadly weapon, but so can other things. Would you be willing to dish out a ton of information when buying knives, baseball bats, or anything else that can be deemed a weapon? Too much government intervention gets us to where we are now. Frankly, I don't like where this country is at or headed.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I know, right?

Having over $30,000 worth of guns full stop sounds dodgy in my opinion

You know that you can have a single gun worth 30K, right? Not just antiques but even current manufacturer pieces can easilly break past 30K each.

A $30,000 collection may very well be 5 guns. None of which would be "assault" type guns. That's dodgy?

Here's a black powder pistol worth 15K link

Get into euro shotguns? Forget about it.
edit on 2-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

We get it. Guns are evil.

When an armed person stops a rape, is that evil to you?
When an armed person stops a murder, is that evil to you?

Do you think criminals are going to follow the new laws and turn in their weapons?

When is a firearm not "bad" in your opinion. I really want to know.

I am sure you have a hobby and I am sure you have something valuable in your home. Should all of your prized possesions also be added to a list so people can see what you have in your home? Or is it only justified when it is something you are against?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You know that you can have a single gun worth 30K, right? Not just antiques but even current manufacturer pieces can easilly break past 30K each. A $30,000 collection may very well be 5 guns. None of which would be "assault" type guns. That's dodgy?

I wasnt aware of that, thats just sickening

Why do you feel the need for 5 guns?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

How is this a bad thing

Their not talking about taking away guns or even restricting them, just keeping track of where they are and who has them. Why the hell isnt this already in place?

I have a well thought out reply waiting for you, but honestly, if you think its okay for a Democratic government to keep lists of Americans names who are doing nothing wrong at all, you have far more severe issues than you think.

Lists are bad. I am a law abiding citizen and I do not want to be on a list. Not to mention any list violates your 4th ammendment. Hell...lets just get rid of all the ammendments....for the safety of kids of course.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So you say they want to vote on 6 gun control bills on January 9, what are the bills exactly?

That traitor Cuomo has mentionned confiscation a week or so ago... any bill would do that?? Any bill to ban certain types of guns? Any bill to ban certain magazines?

Anything real? Because what you posted in the OP, they are already required to do so.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join