I decided to see what Bills are up for vote this coming week in the NYS Legislature...and wish I hadn't.
I cannot embedd, nor can I paste portions of the bill as I use a stupid-phone for my online travels. I give my word that all information forthcoming
is completely accurate and taken directly from the Bill themselves. All one needs to do is type in NYS pending gun legislation and read the bills
yourself if there is a question.
There are currently SIX different gun restriction bills pending in the Legislature. All are up for voting on January 9, 2013.
Five of the six are nothing really as they cover gun shop employees, training in schools, and safetylock laws. There is one Bill however, that is
the epitome of our worst fears regarding record keeping of rifles and shotguns.
I picked the most egregeous of what is in this Bill. I left some parts out that deserve mentioning, but doing this on a phone means Im hampered by
slow type times and although I wanna type it all, I cannot.
Bill S41-2013: Vote scheduled on January 9,2013
(1) Every dealer shall record the make, model,caliber, or gauge, as well as serial numbers of all firearms,rifles, and shotguns that are
acquired,sold, or otherwise disposed of. Monthly backups will be required in case of thefts,fire,etc. All records will be made available at the
request of the Superintendant (Capt of NYS Police).
(3) Firearm, shotgun, and rifle sales information, including serial numbers, date of sale, and identity of purchasers, shall be maintained and made
available to all Government LE Agencies upon request.
S.908: Cooperation with LE
(1) Dealers are to provide Government LE Agencies with full access to any and all documents pertaining to the sale or acquisition of all
firearms, rifles, and shotguns.
(2) Participate in and comply with all monitoring of firearm, rifle, or shotgun distribution by manufacturers or Government LE Agencies.
(3) (which has strange wording throughout, but I only highlight one small portion here)
Report all ATF trace requests of firearms, rifles, and shotguns on a monthly basis...UNLESS SPECIFICALLY DIRECTED NOT TO BY THE ATF. (Emphasis
(5) Report any firearm, rifle, or shotgun purchases which appear to be straw purchases or otherwise create a reasonable suspicion that the firearm,
rifle, or shotgun may be diverted from the legal stream of commerce.
S.910 Rules and Regulations
(1) The Superintendent (Captain of NYS Police) may promulgate additional rules and regulations the Superintendent deems necessary to prevent
firearms from being diverted from the legal stream of commerce.
(12) All gunsmiths shall now keep a record book, open to inspection by Government LE gencies, and shall enter every transaction by them including
dates, times, name, age, occupation, and residence of any person to whom a firearm is delivered.
Those are the highlights and I don't think I am alone in thinking this is crazy talk! I wish to make two points I found interesting.
In section (5) above, the Bill speaks of curttailing straw-purchasers. How can this even happen? So Joe Gunshop Guy thinks I may be purchasing a
shotgun for someone else....then what? Does he sell it to me or does he call LE ? If so, how will that questioning go without violating my 4th
If they deny the sale based on speculation from an employee, it also violates my 2nd ammendment right. It seems like this provision leaves the door
wide open to somehow deny purchases based on the assumption of an employee who is not qualified to make such judgements.
My second big issue is under the heading,"Rules and Regulations" where it says the Captain of the NYS Police can,"Promulgate (make up) addition
rules or regulations that he deems necessary..."
Since when do State Police, whom are not elected by the People, make any new law arbitrarily and without oversight!? They have got to be kidding me
with this crap.
Im anxiously awaiting all of your takes on this as well as reading any pending legislation in other states which is similar. Please check the pending
Bills in your state as those laws will have to change before any new Federal Law banning anything can be done.
Good luck getting me or anyone I know to comply with this NY. Your stupid State Police really have no idea of the firepower us rednecks have in the
countryside. Your shotguns and AR's are utterly useless when facing M-14's and .50 cals floating around in my neck of the woods.
2-1-2013 by MisterMaster because: (no reason given)
edit on Wed Jan 2 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)