It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of Strange, Isolated Military Bases

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Now, we all know about Area 51, and that whole Groom Lake deal. But there are other, more obscure ones.

Like for example, do you folks remember Bikini Atoll? Where we tested the atom bomb. Well, after the tests, the islands were rendered unsafe due to radiation. Some less than others, but it gave us an excuse to use them as military bases.

You ever hear of Kwajalein Atoll? It's an island in area. Used to be inhabited, still sort of is but high rates of birth defects and cancers. They used to use it for covert space launches, and I reckon they still do. Space-X has been launching things using the site. Wonder what it is they're launching. They also used it for the Star Wars Missile Defense Program.

You've got Diego Garcia, located in the Indian Ocean. It's a huge naval base and research center. There's nothing but sailors and a few isolated islanders. It houses a black prison where they house alleged terrorists. Every week is Chicken week at Diego Garcia.

You've got Lockheed Skunk Works, which is the corporate equivalent of Area 51.They developed the F-22, some of the first UAVs, and the Blackbird stealth plane as a black project.

Then on the other side, there's Boeing's secretive research facility, Phantom Works. They've developed such things as: the X-37, which seems to be an unmanned shuttle for delivery of air force payloads into orbit. They've got very high tech drones and seem to be on the cutting edge of technology. Who knows what they've got hidden up their sleeves.

I wonder what's in store for the future. They've got to be doing something with all the money they're putting in black budgets.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
How about posting some source links?
Maybe some photos too.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the information.
Some links and pics would have been better however.

snf.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

I'm not here rambling about Star Gates and reptilians. These are verifiable places that actually exist.
And to be perfectly honest I haven't figured out how to embed pictures yet.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
go onto google maps and type the names in iv just done that and there easy to find i took some screenshots but the file sizes are to large to upload here.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

this is how you upload pics .www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There are lots of small specific mission military facilities throughout the country. For three years while I was in the Navy I was assigned as an instructor at a Naval Nuclear Power Training Unit in upstate New York, just a few miles outside of Saratoga Springs. For those years I never wore a uniform off site, only work dungarees onsite.

The vast majority of people in the area had no idea there were sailors in landlocked upstate New York, much less that there were two nuclear reactors just a few miles away, The site wasn't a secret, just very low key. My time there is what makes me wonder just what type of really interesting things might be going on in places that are relatively small, low key, just everyday ordinary, nothing to question and hidden in plain sight. Ever read "The Purloined Letter"?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
Now, we all know about Area 51, and that whole Groom Lake deal. But there are other, more obscure ones.

Like for example, do you folks remember Bikini Atoll? Where we tested the atom bomb. Well, after the tests, the islands were rendered unsafe due to radiation. Some less than others, but it gave us an excuse to use them as military bases.

You ever hear of Kwajalein Atoll? It's an island in area. Used to be inhabited, still sort of is but high rates of birth defects and cancers. They used to use it for covert space launches, and I reckon they still do. Space-X has been launching things using the site. Wonder what it is they're launching. They also used it for the Star Wars Missile Defense Program.

You've got Diego Garcia, located in the Indian Ocean. It's a huge naval base and research center. There's nothing but sailors and a few isolated islanders. It houses a black prison where they house alleged terrorists. Every week is Chicken week at Diego Garcia.

Did you actually do any research?

Kwajalein is quite inhabited. It's the home of the Reagan Test Center. There are families of workers that live there. It has K-12 schools for the kids. Their isn't any "high rate of birth defects and cancers." It's mainly civilians, Marshalese workers, contractors and some military. I did a year there as a comms tech contractor. Kinda felt like i was on Gilligan's Island with incredibly slow almost useless internet. If you like laid back island living, it's the place to work. Good place to get into shape too.

Roi-Namur island (actually two islands linked together) about 50 miles to the north is considered part of it. It is more remote. Only workers are on the island. There's a daily commuter flight between there and Kwajalein. It's used for radar research and testing.

www.krsjv.com...

Here's a neat informative website by a guy who worked on Roi-Namur.
www.qsl.net...

Another site...
www.kwajalein-school.com...

I did a year on Diego Garcia aka The Rock aka Fantasy Island, back in 82-83 when on active duty. I had a blast there. I wouldn't really call it "huge", but it has been built up. No more living in wooden, screen windowed sea huts with about 15 other guys. I used to bicycle from "downtown", the main part of the island out to the Transmitter Site (T-Site) at the other end on my days off just for something to do besides drinking myself into a stupor. The place had alot of wild chickens, cats, some donkeys and huge amounts of coconut crabs. They were all considered "British Subjects" and weren't to be messed with. The Brits were serious about it. Guys would get in trouble all the time.

It's now mainly staffed by American civiians and contractors, some Filipino's and Mauritians and some Brit and US military. The Brit Representative is overall in charge of the island. There are a few pre-positioned USNS/MSC supply ships homeported there now.

Here's a site, a little on the humorous side, but has alot of good info about DG.

www.zianet.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hey, it's easy to be all smug about it when you've been there. I'm going on stories passed down through drunken ramblings from ex-Lockheed people. And I still maintain that in the long term, nothing good can come from living on a nuclear test site.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
Hey, it's easy to be all smug about it when you've been there. I'm going on stories passed down through drunken ramblings from ex-Lockheed people. And I still maintain that in the long term, nothing good can come from living on a nuclear test site.

No argument on that, just look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
www.disarmsecure.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
That much is true, good sir. And I'd like to re-assert that these are of the most reliable drunken ramblings I've heard in my life. They were just drunk enough to be the truth. Just drunk enough to let go of that fear of the government and speak their minds. There are things going on at these bases that the average person does not know about.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by willyclem

Given the EPA database, it is hard to hide facilities as long as they are in compliance. I found two relevant Navy operations. One in Saratoga County that is now shut down, and an active nuclear unit in South Carolina.

iaspub.epa.gov...

NAVY HOUSING MANAGEMENT OFFICE
26 QUIET HARBOR DR - 2000 FT E
SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY 12866
EPA Registry Id: 110004310371

iaspub.epa.gov...

USN NUCLEAR POWER TRAINING
1260 SNOW POINTE ROAD GOOSE CREEK, SC 29445-8610
EPA Registry Id: 110002310623

Groom Lake is in theory now in EPA compliance, but it has a presidential directive to keep the information secret to some degree. The presidential directive started with Clinton, then Bush, but eventually dropped from the federal register.

People don't realize the importance of publishing something in the federal register. In most cases, unless it is published, the law/directive/executive-order/signing-statement can't take effect. In a similar context, some of the land withdrawals around the NTTR have expired, though don't expect any leniency when you cross the border.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I shot this Janet Beech aircraft back in 2008 from the Palmdale airport. Back then, there was passenger service to the airport, so it was open to the public.

Needless to say, there was the occasional car or two (or three or four) parked by the fence waiting for something cool to land.

Plenty of military planes seen, though "bog standard" other than this F-22. Apologies for the funny pink cast. I shot it near sunset:

Boeing Phantom Works:

edit on 2-1-2013 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Groom Lake ought to be a super-fund site by now. I highly doubt that this is anything but propaganda to ease the concern of the masses. They've tested so many exotic aircraft and fuels out there that it seems doubtful to me that they could ever in god's name clean that place completely.

And excellent pictures there, Gariac. Who knows what lies inside there. Still, I can't help but feel that they're throwing areas like this out in the open as a diversion to keep people distracted from the areas that they really want to hide.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Grifter42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

There are plenty of secrets along that strip of Avenue P. But they are all behind closed doors. The buildings have (or should have in certain locations) those honeycomb filters to stop RF leaks. The plate over the vent at Phantom Works is to reduce sound leakage. All the facilities have SCIFs, though they are not limited to military contractors.

The test articles are crated up and shipped under darkness. Claim is the PD asks people to move along if they are parked near the area at night. [Just parking by the sod farm to photograph bizjets landing means taking your life into your hands, given the speeding cars.] Other elements of what goes on around Palmdale doesn't have to be boxed up if it is just some nondescript pod of some sort. What is held behind a radome stays a secret. If I had my druthers on having one program going on there revealed to me, it would be "Big Safari."

A similar thread was done on ATS. I'm sure I mentioned the book "Top Secret Tourism". Everything in it is known on the internet to some degree. The advantage of the book is you have all these facilities listed in one reference.

I have spent some time trying to find the COG in Napa Ca. The book just has data from the press release about all the helicopter activity. It lists many cities with COGs, but no exact locations. Wiki does a rather poor job with COG.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

They list the well known facilities, but there are regional COGs as well. Page down to FEMA COG at this link.
www.barthworks.com...

It is likely some of these facilities exist, though the documentation is terrible. I found the road leading to where I think the Napa COG is located, but it is chained off. The hilly terrain and trees make it difficult to photograph the area.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by Grifter42

Howzit man, FYI, Credo Mutwa speaks of a secret US militart base in the middle of the forrest in Botwana. Apparently, very few men have seen the base and lived to tell the tale. It's existance is kept at utmost secrecy, or at least it was at that point.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ever go urban exploring at old defunk military facilities? Check out this thread I authored about closed military bases.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are some great Cold War pics there...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Good find, you can start from there. Though I would suggest checking only those that are supposedly keeping non-conventional technology.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Ah Diego....Time to dig up some pics...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Here's a couple pics...

One from above. The footprint of the Indian Ocean. Taken from the boom pod

Here's one of the flightline at Diego. KC-135's, a B-1, and notice the hangers in the back??? Any guesses?

edit on 5-1-2013 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2013 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join