It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the top 5% don't care about the bottom 95%

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by jimmyx

yeah...they just want EVERYONE ELSE to live by their "values"....the republican congressmen should either live by what they believe, or shut the hell up.

And if we lived by how progressives believe, we'd all be equally poor.

i know this might be inconvienent for you, but do you have any factual data to back up your claim?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I just find the thread a bit odd. It's like people are insinuating 95% of the American public are feckless lazy welfare queens, who would starve were it not for the good charity of the 5 % .

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

yeah...they just want EVERYONE ELSE to live by their "values"....the republican congressmen should either live by what they believe, or shut the hell up.

And if we lived by how progressives believe, we'd all be equally poor.

i know this might be inconvienent for you, but do you have any factual data to back up your claim?

Responding to rhetoric with rhetoric.

Quid pro quo.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
reply to post by TXRabbit

Wow so are in you the top 5%. Are you a billionaire. Have you really done the maths to see where you qualify? Guess what Most of us have taken the same route of rugged self-determination and worked hard. Some have even lost both their homesand their minds... Some have done well but never joined the billionaire's club.

Tiger5

Um...the top 5% is $166K and up. Longshoremen make that much. Some senior firefighters. School principles. ICU nurses can get close. When you get into the top 5% and then the top 10%, you have regular people, not billionaires.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I fill you in, with an example........

If the rate in 1964 was 17.4 percent, and today it’s 14.3 percent, that’s a difference of about 3.1 percent – after four decades.

“Federal and state spending on social welfare is approaching $1 trillion a year, $17 trillion since the Great Society was launched, not to mention private charity,” notes Pat Buchanan. So, after trillions of dollars were spent over the course of nearly 50 years, the nation essentially has little to show for its Great Society War on Poverty

The progressives' never-ending poverty

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I just find the thread a bit odd. It's like people are insinuating 95% of the American public are feckless lazy welfare queens, who would starve were it not for the good charity of the 5 % .

and that's how they want you to feel about yourselves. they will stop at nothing to degrade and insult those that are not successful and properous. as ole' george "W" used to say "i like em, he's my B.U.D.! (Broke, Useless, and Dumb)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Funny that really was how about all those millionaire Democratic congressman live by what they beleive eh?

Millionaire Democratic congressman

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Indigo5

You are confusing equal "opportunity" to succeed with "free stuff".

No he wasn't.

In 2010 alone, government at all levels oversaw a transfer of over $2.2 trillion in money, goods and services. The burden of these entitlements came to slightly more than $7,200 for every person in America. Scaled against a notional family of four, the average entitlements burden for that year alone approached $29,000

online.wsj.com...

The only people who are confused with "opportunity" to succeed is those who throw money at manufactured problems.

"Throw money" at a manufactured problem? Well I guess so...If you consider Wars and deregulation of wall street manufactured?

See that money you cite blindly goes toward Veterans Benefits, Disability, Federal education and training grants...etc..

But Eff Veterans right? And Eff everyone that lost a job during the GOP "Manufactured" near economic collapse?

Here is where the author of that dishonest blog piece got his numbers...

www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0539.pdf

Again...I COULDN'T CARE LESS about GOP retarded idealogy anymore. For effs sake CHRIS CHRISTIE just called the GOP "DISGUSTING" and "SHAMEFUL"...cuz they broke thier word and refused to pass a disaster relief bill for hurricaine Sandy!!! When the GOPs wonder boy and wet dream of a candidate is calling his party "Disgusting"...you might have jumped the shark just a little. Those folks in NJ and New York who lost thier homes? LEECHES now according to the GOP...Eff em! Right?

Lord help me the GOP is rightly dieing before our eyes.

edit on 2-1-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

"Throw money" at a manufactured problem? Well I guess so...If you consider Wars and deregulation of wall street manufactured?

Current entitlement spending for that last decade has been more than "wars" but then agian the wars were not ended but expanded.

See that money you cite blindly goes toward Veterans Benefits, Disability, Federal education and training grants...etc..

Funny the left is always wants to cut defense and those benefits federal education after the billions spent and since the creation of the DOE why are people more stupid than ever eh?

But Eff Veterans right? And Eff everyone that lost a job during the GOP "Manufactured" near economic collapse?

Nope that would be Clintons death nail in Glass Stegall and the push and lies of the mortgage crisis.

Again...I COULDN'T CARE LESS about GOP retarded idealogy anymore. For effs sake CHRIS CHRISTIE just called the GOP "DISGUSTING" and "SHAMEFUL"...cuz they broke thier word and refused to pass a disaster relief bill for hurricaine Sandy!!! When the GOPs wonder boy and wet dream of a candidate is calling his party "Disgusting"...you might have jumped the shark just a little. Those folks in NJ and New York who lost thier homes? LEECHES now according to the GOP...Eff em! Right?

What the hell does that have to do with the topic eh?

This country is dying, and no matter how much some want to blame the right it has not been a making soley on their own.

Face it the left has as much culpability.
edit on 2-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Agree.

Not only that, they WANT class-warfare, because it conveniently plays on the masses sense of entitlement.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

Conservatives believe in equal oppourtunity.

Progressives believe in equal outcome.

We do not have equal opportunity in this country when the government is up for sale to the highest bidding Wall Street Banks and Large Corporations. Is that the equal opportunity your talking about?

We do not have equal representation either, where the top 1% control the government.
No taxation without representation.

I do not want any of my taxes going to the government. The top can pay for it all since they insist on owning it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

This country is dying, and no matter how much some want to blame the right it has not been a making soley on their own.

No...this country is not dying...it is recovering...the Republican party is dying, .....Chris Christie just called them "Disgusting" and "Shameful"...America is getting better every time an Ayn Rand fanatic or someone whose idea of small government is telling people who they can marry etc. etc. is voted out of office.

Right Wing fanatics just imagine America in decline...cuz thier corrupt worldview of America is dying.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

o...this country is not dying...it is recovering...the Republican party is dying,

Yeah right

Chris Christie just called them "Disgusting" and "Shameful"...

You made a thread on that so why are you trying to hijack this thread with that trash?

America is getting better every time an Ayn Rand fanatic or someone whose idea of small government is telling people who they can marry etc. etc. is voted out of office.

Political trolling as it has nothing to do with the op.

Right Wing fanatics just imagine America in decline...cuz thier corrupt worldview of America is dying.

See above comment.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Do the bottom 95% care about the top 5% in any of her capacity than wanting them to give up more of what they have?

From my perspective if 5% of the United States is carrying 50% of the tax load then they care plenty.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with any specific political party. It has everything to do with lobbyists who own our government because they pay for their campaigns and they determine who wins and who loses so unfortunately they are our representatives' most significant constituent; meaning everything they do for their constituents are in their constituents best interests. Do you see?

This also has to do with blatant lies from our Government and our state ran Media. It's disgusting, after waiting all night for the fiscal bill text to finally appear online and after reading through 157 pages of bull it turns out nothing was done to help the lower or middle class (like promised) instead we are once again getting screwed, Bush Era Tax Cuts are extended (Didn't Obama fight sohard over trying to let this expire and only extended it after the uproar from the "republicans" side? Also note the stock market JUMPED shortly after and now investors feel much happier again), the sequestration wasn't solved it was "delayed". So let me get this straight? You extend tax cuts for the rich, barely bump up their tax on investment income or capital gains, allow taxes to raise across the board, prior to this every position in government received a pay raise and now on "March 27th Sequestration will be implemented" (as stated in the bipartisan tax agreement) - across the board federal funding is annihilated, affecting all people from all walks of life except for those nestled comfortably at the top. Except for the DoD budget since we are engaged in war and the money is greatly needed.

We are getting royally effed in the aye while being told we're lazy, worthless eaters consuming too much of the world's resources and living off of government cheese.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
No...this country is not dying...it is recovering...the Republican party is dying, .....Chris Christie just called them "Disgusting" and "Shameful"...America is getting better every time an Ayn Rand fanatic or someone whose idea of small government is telling people who they can marry etc. etc. is voted out of office.

Seems you didn't learn from my earlier instruction in a different thread about red-herrings and straw-men. What does the later part of your statement above have to do with anything Neo stated; well, except your desire to paint all those who don't think like you to be evil and "fanatical".

And vice-versa but you are so steeped in your partisanship you cannot see it otherwise. Extreme political views on both ends of the spectrum create threads like these that are nothing more than a rah-rah moment for who ever creates them. In essence, it pushing no ideas, solves no problems and is a cesspool of partisan bickering.

Do you ever stop to think, why do these people, who probably don't make it into the "5%", cheer for them? Defend them? But then there are others, who absolutely lambast them and call them greedy? I think it is time for some of you to look in the mirror and realize you have deep envy in your hearts and you want what they have and at this moment, you have a president in office hell-bent to provide that dream for you. Their world-view isn't dying, your view through those rose colored glasses you call progressivism has you so locked in your view that you cannot see the following about America:

$2.9 trillion in tax revenue
$3.6 trillion in spending (not including interest on our debt)

It is unsustainable and it isn't a "revenue" problem, it isn't a "5%'er" problem, it is an out of control government playing monopoly with you and I as the pieces. If it takes upwards of $3.0 trillion of our money to fund the valid functions of government then something is terribly wrong with that government. I highly doubt this will have an effect on many of you here because you all think its some "rich" bastard out there conniving and wringing their hands while sinisterly laughing thinking of ways to screw you over. Get over your narcissistic selves, drop the victim attitude and do something about it.

Post Script:

Here is some perspective for you to understand where I come from. My wife and I pull in approximately $75,000 gross. Net is a different story. My sister and her husband pull in $275,000 a year, labeled "rich" and are getting skewered by this government. But to you, I should eye her with disdain, she is a 5%! She has no right to speak right? Just use her for a cash cow so you can feel good you got an extra $40 bucks in "tax credits".......yes, this nation is dying.
edit on 2-1-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

As a great man once said, "Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything." "It's a Big Club and you ain't it! You and I are not in the Big Club"

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Agree.

Not only that, they WANT class-warfare, because it conveniently plays on the masses sense of entitlement.

Conservatives want economic hardship so they can use it as an excuse to gut the government and
divert power to a few private individuals who are the most entitled humans on this planet.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

This problem was created by increasing spending and decreasing revenue, you seem to act as if
the problem just materialized out of thin air.

edit on 2-1-2013 by kingking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kingking

No I didn't and you cannot even begin to prove that. Decreased "revenue"? Really? Do you want to know the tax receipts and outlays over the last 20 years?

All numbers are in trillions (in current dollars): First column is receipts, second is outlays
1992: $1.09 1.38
1993: $1.15 1.40
1994: $1.25 1.46
1995: $1.35 1.51
1996: $1.45 1.56
1997: $1.57 1.60
1998: $1.72 1.65
1999: $1.82 1.70
2000: $2.02 1.78
2001: $1.99 1.86
2002: $1.85 2.01
2003: $1.78 2.15
2004: $1.88 2.29
2005: $2.15 2.47
2006: $2.40 2.65
2007: $2.56 2.72
2008: $2.52 2.98
2009: $2.10 3.51
2010: $2.16 3.45
2011: $2.30 3.60
2012: $2.46 (estimated) 3.79

Do you want to get into the spending portion? Because we bring in enough "revenue"..... (I added the outlays....)

PS: "Revenue" as if we are a commodity to be played with, decreased a total of 5 times in 20 years.
edit on 2-1-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join