It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the top 5% don't care about the bottom 95%

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I was going to reply to you with a large post but since it will probably be ignored, I will just state that you are wrong in thinking that all it is required is personal engagement into the system. Then there is the issue of what constitutes being well off, I do not think that you are really free from care (but certainly better of than most).

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
America was founded on individuality, freedom, personal responsibility.

WHY should the 5% indeed care about the 95%?

People, because they are successful automatically have an obligation to CARE about those that are less successful?

If they want to care for the 95%, then great. If they don't? *meh*

Instead we have now a government that removes caring from the formula. The government will do all the CARING for the 5%.

By taking their money.

And giving it to the 95%.

so, mitt romney was successful in moving 20 million to the caymen islands to avoid paying taxes?. or Exxon was sucessful in getting a tax rebate of 30 million dollars in a year where they made 40 billion dollars in profits? or UBS was sucessful in rigging the LIBOR for profits?
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

so, mitt romney was successful in moving 20 million to the caymen islands to avoid paying taxes?. or Exxon was sucessful in getting a tax rebate of 30 million dollars in a year where they made 40 billion dollars in profits? or UBS was sucessful in rigging the LIBOR for profits?
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Strawman argument. I thought this was about the 5% not "caring". Not Romney, UBS or Exxon. Gonna nitpick? Then change the title of your thread.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
reply to post by TXRabbit

Wow so are in you the top 5%. Are you a billionaire. Have you really done the maths to see where you qualify? Guess what Most of us have taken the same route of rugged self-determination and worked hard. Some have even lost both their homesand their minds... Some have done well but never joined the billionaire's club.

Tiger5

no

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
You are demonstrably wrong.

The top 5% contribute billions to charities that support the bottom 95%.

Who do you care about, and what are you doing about it?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

You are confusing equal "opportunity" to succeed with "free stuff".

No he wasn't.

In 2010 alone, government at all levels oversaw a transfer of over $2.2 trillion in money, goods and services. The burden of these entitlements came to slightly more than $7,200 for every person in America. Scaled against a notional family of four, the average entitlements burden for that year alone approached $29,000

online.wsj.com...

The only people who are confused with "opportunity" to succeed is those who throw money at manufactured problems.

Manfactured by those who champion that asinine ideology now if some people love other countries so much they are free to move.

After all the trillions spent and the Us is that bad that is proof positive that throwing money at them has never been the solution,.
edit on 2-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Conservatives believe in equal oppourtunity.

Progressives believe in equal outcome.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Does the bottom 95% care about the top 5%?

I was just gonna say, "I don't care about the 5% because I'm simply not a part of it." Which I realize is not the best way to look at it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

Yep and if you don't beleive in equal outcome and you don't believe in robbing from the rich and give to the poor you(WE) don't care about people.

Apparently progressives believe their self worth is the amount of zero's they have in their government checks.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Strawman argument. I thought this was about the 5% not "caring". Not Romney, UBS or Exxon. Gonna nitpick? Then change the title of your thread.

romney was quoted as saying he didn't care, and he is in the top 5%...UBS and Exxon ... that part was off target, so yeah that was a nitpick as you put it

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Fine. He doesn't care

So?

Why do they HAVE to care?

What is this obsession with other peoples money?

Why do you care about how much a person has and how they spend it?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Btw the way the top 5% is incomes from $166k on up.

en.wikipedia.org...

So the premise of this thread has more holes in it than the road in front of my house.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

reply to post by neo96

Yep and if you don't beleive in equal outcome and you don't believe in robbing from the rich and give to the poor you(WE) don't care about people.

Apparently progressives believe their self worth is the amount of zero's they have in their government checks.

oh... c'mon, i don't see republican congressmen giving up their government healthcare, or raises, government paid for perks...they love those government checks.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

oh... c'mon, i don't see republican congressmen giving up their government healthcare, or raises, government paid for perks...they love those government checks.

Funny think those Democratic congressman are going to?

Think that 50 milllion on SS is going to?
Think that 50 million on Medicare is going to?
Think that 50 million on Medicaid is going to?
Think that 47 million on welfare is going to?

The Republican congressman are outnumbered.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Btw the way the top 5% is incomes from $166k on up.

en.wikipedia.org...

So the premise of this thread has more holes in it than the road in front of my house.

huh? this is what i posted on the original OP
en.wikipedia.org...

where are these so-called "holes"

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
The solution is to get a job or start a business, work your butt off and then you will be concerned how much of YOUR hard earned money is being taken to support those who WILL not work. I believe all americans particularly those of us who have been successful, will always help those who are less fortunate because of circumstance. This is far different than supporting those who do not want to work and are comfortable living in the government induced poverty.

Yeah right everybody can start their own business, what utter nonsense (Toilet Cleaners Corp......I don't think so). And here comes the usual calling cry of the right : its those who are not in and don't want to work who are the problem.

Studies have shown (in the UK but still applies to the US) that the unemployed do want to work. The number of "feckless" unwilling to work is a very very small minority. But as any moron knows it only takes ONE to make a headline.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Funny think those Democratic congressman are going to?

Think that 50 milllion on SS is going to?
Think that 50 million on Medicare is going to?
Think that 50 million on Medicaid is going to?
Think that 47 million on welfare is going to?

The Republican congressman are outnumbered.

yeah...they just want EVERYONE ELSE to live by their "values"....the republican congressmen should either live by what they believe, or shut the hell up.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

yeah...they just want EVERYONE ELSE to live by their "values"....the republican congressmen should either live by what they believe, or shut the hell up.

And if we lived by how progressives believe, we'd all be equally poor.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I survive on less then $10k a year. 1/4 of my income goes to taxes the 1/2 goes into maintaining my clunker car auto insurance and fuel. The rest goes on surviving in the most expensive country to live in on the planet. Food stamps are the only thing that keep me from shooting at rich people and eating their poodle.
edit on 2-1-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Instead we have now a government that removes caring from the formula. The government will do all the CARING for the 5%.

If this doesn't get you pissed off, I don't know what does. WHERE in the Constitution does it say "Government" should be in every aspect of the economy ? WHERE does it say we "OWE" anything, to anyone?

It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed. -- Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Lenin and those conspiring to make this Country into a dream of his, has systematically made class-warfare the rule of the Land.

Bravo!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join