It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Burn U.N. Flag

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

Originally posted by Valhall
Maybe if we pulled out and made them find a new home they'd stop showing preference to us. I don't see them reacting to us the same as they do third-world countries...but then, we're the sugar-daddy, right?

Don't overreact here.
You're no more sugerdaddie than any other rich country that's in the UN.

Check out who pays for the UN. The US pays for over 30% of it by it's self. No one else comes close.

I say, equal pay, equal pay!

That way when there is another scandal, it isn't mostly US money paying Sadam, France and Russia

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

Originally posted by Valhall
Maybe if we pulled out and made them find a new home they'd stop showing preference to us. I don't see them reacting to us the same as they do third-world countries...but then, we're the sugar-daddy, right?

Don't overreact here.
You're no more sugerdaddie than any other rich country that's in the UN.

Check out who pays for the UN. The US pays for over 30% of it by it's self. No one else comes close.

That way when there is another scandal, it isn't mostly US money paying Sadam, France and Russia

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Now for my 2 cents. As far as I'm concerned anybody can burn any fricken flag they want. People it's just a piece of material. I know certain people are gonna say it represents our country, yes it does, but it still is just a piece of material. So if it really pisses you off that much go out and by one of the people that are burning ours and than burn theirs. What really represents America are us Americans not a flag. IMO As far as the UN goes if it's broken fix it don't complain do something. The whole thing is about greed, that is the down fall of mankind so many people are greedy, they never have enough, they can't be happy and greatful for what they do have.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

but USA and the USSR drafted most of those treaties and anyways look at the number of conflicts 64 years before the UN vs 64 after(today) and then try to claim it has brought more peace....its ridiculos to claim they've done much more than what was being done before the UN came about-hell the 200 years prior has seen more peace.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by namehere]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
To everyone that is angry at the fact that some Americans burned the U.N. flag: that flag doesn't represent any government or sovereign nation.

The U.N. is consisted mainly of poor nations that can't even defend themselves much less feed themselves. They 'leech' off the wealthier nations and the wealthier nations are being taken for a ride by enabling their willful laziness.

To those from the U.K., Canada, Australia and certain members of the G-8, it would make sense for your government/nations as well as ours to withdraw from the U.N. To Hell with the leeches and moochers!

If the nations within the U.N. can't help themselves, then they must go the way of the dinosaurs. The United States can't keep on being the "baby-sitter' of the rest of the world (I'm not talking about nations that are fully capable of handling their affairs). Let the poor nations eat cake!

To me, the banner of the United Nations has never been a legit banner because it lacks a central government and sovereignty.

The flag of Nazi-Germany holds more water than the U.N. flag, and I'd assume burn that one to Hell too! If Nazi-Germany hadn't attempted genocide on the Jewish people, started WWII and promoted racial hatred/superiority, they might have been a good nation. That's just my opinion and of course that didn't happen.

I would support the United Nations only if the nations with "United" in their name was to be the undisputed leaders!
And we all know who that is!

[edit on 27/10/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
As a Canadian, and as one who has been to Africa and seen how hard they are trying to make a life for themselves, as one who has seen how UNICEF provides information to African mothers on child nutrition and child health, and as one who has seen how UNESCO (I've worked on some projects with the Canadian commission for UNESCO) has begun a vast worldwide campaign for literacy, especially for girls...

for all those reasons, I hope my country never leaves the UN.

I will say it again, the UN may need to be fixed... its programs do good work too and don't deserve to be summarily ditched.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
such things dont need the UN to exist, i mean look at the red cross, its far older than the UN, such a thing as unesco couldve been created without the UN.

hell, to have set up a human rights/economic aid/medical aid international union couldve been created instead and couldve been more effective in helping and noone would have these other issues today that the UN has and everyone would be content.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I don't know if I should consider some of the posts here stupid or funny.

Maybe both.

The same whiny voices who complained in such utter disgust about the United States government's intolerance of protesters, and whined moaned about the importance of freedom of speech, and privacy, and protest are now crying for the beheadings of a group that burned a UN flag. Amazing!!!! Think of the stupidity, the sheer stupidity in your stupid, stupid, stupid statements. No other word fits. None.

Your message: Protest America to your heart's content. Burn American flags, burn politicians in effigy, do whatever you want, as long as it's against America. But if an American has the gall to protest the UN? Oh hell no! Out come the wolves. The sobby freedom fighters become wolves. It's amazing!

You don't like what happened? TOO BAD. Those people can burn the American flag outside that radio station, and just the same they can burn the UN flag. Freedom of speech is given to those you disagree with too folks. And it's too god damn bad if you don't like it.

Additionally, I have to question the sanity of those of you who are making statements about world opinion of America. The UN shouldn't "pay for America's war"??? This is too much. Who gives most of the money to the UN in your eyes? Ethiopia? Tanzania? Guyana? Ok then. I respect the UN disagreeing with the Iraq war, but you have to be a total fool to make like the UN foots the US's bills. Spare me. Spare anyone who's sane.

Burn what the hell you want. Until we get renamed to China or Cuba etc there isn't a god damn thing any of you can say about it.

There's freedom of speech. Watch it closely. It's not only for you, it's for everyone, like them or not. Learn something from that.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
UN has a flag???

its not even a country...

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
UN has a flag???

It did have, but somebody burned it.

Interearthling
Western countries have, for decades, reaped the rewards of an advanced society built on the slavery and oppression of others and greed of their own. We have taken from a great many countries, minerals, resources and people, which should have made those countries comparatively rich and powerful. In short we have taken advantage of those less fortunate because WE believe ours is the better cause, whilst keeping those countries in a place of less empowerment.

So, I think you'll find that WE are the leeches, and now we are nearly done sucking the world dry, you think we should just drop those countries that helped make us what we are?

And as for the "United" comment, I assume you're talking about the United Arab Emirates (UAE), cos' after the election we all will be looking at the state of America as it stands divided.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Pffft you should think a little harder madman.
USA pays the most because (surprisingngly) USA is the biggest country.
This is about money per citizen, and if you look at it like that you will find that USA is not even paying that much.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

The flag of Nazi-Germany holds more water than the U.N. flag, and I'd assume burn that one to Hell too! If Nazi-Germany hadn't attempted genocide on the Jewish people, started WWII and promoted racial hatred/superiority, they might have been a good nation. That's just my opinion and of course that didn't happen.

[edit on 27/10/04 by Intelearthling]

with all due respect to the alimighty but what in gods name are you talking about.
that firrst one is totaly idiotic facism is CENTERED around killing and opressing jews. hell they only done the other things to prepare for war.
the vaultswagen? originally it was a scam to get moeny off workers.
the motor ways? an easier way to move men and tanks and supplies around.
the young german maidan's ? a program desgined to teach young women to become pregnant to get more children. the mroe babies the better a medal you would get.
i think that statement is sick and disgusting its like me going up to capital hill and urinateing on the grass.apart from the fact i would be shot probably , no definately , is not the point.
so you think that because a few people made illegal actions and statements that the whole organisation is currupt. i could say the whole US Military is a bunch of warcriminals because several troopers abused prisnors , but will i say this? NO because i know that there was just a few people involved and most of the US military is good and wants to defend thier nation.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
such things dont need the UN to exist, i mean look at the red cross, its far older than the UN, such a thing as unesco couldve been created without the UN.

hell, to have set up a human rights/economic aid/medical aid international union couldve been created instead and couldve been more effective in helping and noone would have these other issues today that the UN has and everyone would be content.

thats one organisation and frankly the UN is what you said above. know why you dont like it? because it restricts your country from doing things, it restricts it to doing the right things. and if you dont like it you just go screw you and inavade somewhere.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
UN has a flag???

the US army ,the US airforce,the US navy AND the US marine core have colours which are flags.
now if i was to burn them then urinate on the ashes would i be rite in saying the US services would be slightly mroe than peeved off?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

Your message: Protest America to your heart's content. Burn American flags, burn politicians in effigy, do whatever you want, as long as it's against America. But if an American has the gall to protest the UN? Oh hell no! Out come the wolves. The sobby freedom fighters become wolves. It's amazing!

now wait a minurte here did i say burn US flags? no did anyone else on the site that we SHOULD burn US flags? i dont think so YOU.
oh so im sobby now am i? gee thanks know what shows how much of a good diplomat you would be. first thing to do insult them. what a great idea.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Let's make the UN a roving institution. Put it where it is needed the most.

To begin with, let's relocate it to Darfur, so that it can stop the genocide there and get a handle on starvation and the AIDS endemic.

Then we can move it to North Korea to convince them to dismantle their nuclear weapons program.

Then to Iran to do the same.

Then to South America to help the millions of starving children that live in landfills and end up prostituting themselves.

When they are done with those projects, there will surely be more to do.

If they succeed, they will win the Nobel Peace Prize. That should be reward enough; after all, they are in existence to better humanity, aren't they?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Let's make the UN a roving institution. Put it where it is needed the most.

To begin with, let's relocate it to Darfur, so that it can stop the genocide there and get a handle on starvation and the AIDS endemic.

Then we can move it to North Korea to convince them to dismantle their nuclear weapons program.

Then to Iran to do the same.

Then to South America to help the millions of starving children that live in landfills and end up prostituting themselves.

When they are done with those projects, there will surely be more to do.

If they succeed, they will win the Nobel Peace Prize. That should be reward enough; after all, they are in existence to better humanity, aren't they?

They already are roving, but you also require a base(s) to administer from.

As for the issues you raise, I think you'll find they are already working on them.

Development Goals

Economic and Social Development

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
They don't require acres of prime real estate in Manhattan to "administer". Let them rent a suite of rooms at the local Holiday Inn. Time to streamline, my friend.

And they are not doing nearly enough. Genocide is still rampant in Sudan, people are still starving. Not good enough fom the UN. Get them closer to the action. Works wonders for efficiency and results.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

UN Volunteers: FAQ
The United Nations Volunteers programme (UNV) is the volunteer arm of the United Nations. It was created by the UN General Assembly in 1970 to serve as an operational partner in development cooperation at the request of UN member states. It reports to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and works through UNDP's country offices around the world. Read a general text about UN Volunteers.

UN Volunteers: Statistics
There are close to 5,000 qualified and experienced women and men of over 150 nationalities serving each year in developing countries as UN Volunteers. Since 1971, some 30,000 UN Volunteers from some 150 developing and industrialized nations have worked in about 140 countries.Get the latest statistics about serving UN Volunteers.

www.unv.org...

What? $1.3 billion per year BILLION dollars and only 5000 folks helping out? We'd be much better off funding doctors without borders or the red cross. Let�s see�

I'd support the U.N. if they only accepted representative governments. Allowing any petty dictator a seat in this body garners ill-will and distrust from more free societies like ours.

12 Billion including peacekeeping and the VERY corrupt IMF. China not even in the top 10 contributors?

Burn it baby and throw these inept, corrupt, bureaucrats out of our country..perhaps one of our non-US ATS members would suggest a new host city.

Link

[edit on 10/29/2004 by MrNice]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by SIRR1
Damn, I wish I had been there!

How do you feel about a Constitutional Amendment against burning the USA's flag? I mean, when is flag-burning ok? When it's just the other country, but not ours??

Do you realize that the UN is NOT a country. Show me the country of UN on a map. It started out as a good idea after WWII, but slowly became the corrupt orginazation it is now.

The League of Nations was disbanded for the same reason.

UN out of the US, US out of the UN.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join