It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Burn U.N. Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
I believe there was a thread on here when protestors (against Bush?) burnt a US flag. They were TREASONOUS and TRAITORS, according to many on here.

If they were American then, I really don't see how burning our flag is a protest to Bush. Maybe you can shed some light....

Pictures of Iraqis burning US flags caused huge uproar by many on here also.

lol, I'm sure it's frowned upon....but could you provide a link to the "uproar".
If they were Americans then that would cause a stir....not to sure about anyone else (especially since it's done all the time and I can't remember any uproars because of it on here)

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

EXCELLENT!

Why the heck was the UN flag being flown
over a State Capital Building? WHY? It definately
doesn't belong there!

The radio station had an impromtu protest.
Perhaps next year on UN Day a protest will
be more organized and it will have a larger
turn out.

Heck ... if everyone in America who hates the
UN and sees it for what it is (a corrupt financial
black hole saturated with anti-americanism)
protests next year, the festivities could be
really great!

American flags are burnt in protest everywhere.
I'm glad to see Americans taking that cue and
burning the flag of the institution that they
hate (and hate with good reason).

so the UN laws should be removed? after all it is currupt and criminal so we shuld stop all food and help organisations to all war torn and third world countries?
and should we not have UN troops being there to gaurd a peace? or is it not good to help keep the peace should we all live in war and attack every one?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
UN "peacekeepers" never keep any peace. They are just in the conflict areas for the cameras. When have the blue hats killed bad guy? Burn all of the UN flags in protest of that corrupt bloodmoney loving Jew hating organization.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Ahhh.....so good to hear that the UN has the support of the world!

No the UN is not perfect......but until something else comes along its all we have. So lets try to live with that.

Since when has the UN been a Jew hating organisation?

Oh and by the way..........I would never dream of even taking aim at someone hiding behind a babies pram.........its called Rules of Engagement!

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The UN may be an organization a number of Americans hate, it's also the organization the statutes and policies of which the United States had a lot of influence in creating.

The UN may not be perfect, but to say that it does absolutely NO good work, zero, zilch, is to have one's head in the sand. Nothing is ever so one-sided. The UN is a big thing, with programs like UNICEF and UNESCO that do a lot of good work respectively for children in Third World countries, and for culture and education for all.

What amazes me is that those who spout hate towards the UN and want it kicked out, trounced and so on... those are the ones who never, ever propose alternatives or even solutions to the UN's problems. Typical.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
UN "peacekeepers" never keep any peace. They are just in the conflict areas for the cameras. When have the blue hats killed bad guy? Burn all of the UN flags in protest of that corrupt bloodmoney loving Jew hating organization.

Huh? The UN hates jews? What kind of paranoid rubbish is that? I guess anybody that condemns the illegal actions of the Israeli Nation is a corrupt bloodmoney loving Jew hating organization. 2000 years later you want your land back, and that's ok? Dude if it weren't for international support, you'd be speaking arabic.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
While I think that the UN is a good idea conceptually, it seems to have turned into another reflection of the corruption of power. That’s not to say that the UN isn’t responsible for some good things in the world, but they could be doing a lot more.

As far as the flag burning, it was pretty dumb. But if somebody wants to burn the UN flag, far be it from me to stop them. It just says to me how little they know or understand of world issues aside from what they see on the 6:00 news.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I say great! I wish we would withdraw from the UN, and quickly. They are nothing but corrupt money wasting bastar^s.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I say great! I wish we would withdraw from the UN, and quickly. They are nothing but corrupt money wasting bastar^s.

a many can say that about your country, many more can prove it.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
the only message this sends to the world is that America is spitting us all in the face

drfunk

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Interesting tidbit I found on the web re UNESCO... about the United States rejoining it in 2002, and quite enthusiastically from what I see...

www.state.gov...

This goes to prove what I always say. If it's broken, fix it, don't ditch it.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Since when is the UN a sovergn nation to get all pissy about their flag getting burned anyway? It's a logo. Nobody dies for it. What UN citizens are we offending here? The UN is an administrative orginization. It has no national honor to disparage.

I agree with the person above who said that the UN started out as a good idea but has gone the way of all groups with power and become irreversably corrupt and stagnant. While I don't think we should just up and leave the UN at this point, I do think they should find somewhere else to have their headquarters and some other country like wannabe superpower China or hasbeen, wannabe empire France can foot the bill for a while.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hoo-boy. While I agree that visual effects outside a radio station says a lot, there are several points that need to be made, and as you all know, I will be more than happy to set you all straight. After all, that is my job. That is why God endowed me with such a supreme and powerful brain. I’ll speak in small words so that you mere mortals might comprehend. Ready? Here we go.

First, understand that the United Nations is not a “nation” or a country, so when one burns that flag, it means nothing more than burning Chevron’s standard (Ha! I made a punny! Get it, Chevron – Standard?!?). I know that may be hard to believe for some proOneWorldOrder types here (Cuts eyes sharply at curme), but that is the fact. Burning a real flag is different, and I am against it, no matter who’s flag you are wanting to torch.

Fred, Freedom of Speech isn’t the same thing as the illusionary Freedom of Expression. Freedom of speech means you can tell the president he has no clothes on without fear of repercussion from the government. That is not the same thing as burning the standard for the entire nation, no matter who is in the Oval Office at the time. One needn’t burn a flag to tell the president his policies are incorrect. You see, to me, if I were to be confronted with some piece of dirt burning my flag, I’d take his “expression” in a way different from the way he intended, I’m sure. I’d take it that he was trying to tell me to punch him square in the mouth. Now, if I was wrong in my interpretation, maybe he should have exercised his freedom of speech a little more clearly.

Fitz, you claim that something such as this causes the rest of the world to hate us. Here’s a news report for you, friend, the rest of the world HATES US ANYWAY! And furthermore, I do not care. Much of the world is no different than Kuwait was during Iraq War Part One; Kuwait never could pass up the opportunity to bad mouth us in the U.N., they felt so smart saying bad things every chance possible. We couldn’t do a darned thing right. There came that day, though, when they couldn’t scream for our help loud enough. They are nothing more than a descriptive of many of our former “allies”. I couldn’t care less what these maggots think about us. As a matter of fact, the burning of the U.N. flag expresses my feelings perfectly, get it the heck off our land and get us out of it. We spend the most in that stupid organization only to have po-dunk countries and “friends” try and rip us off at every turn.

Now, SnoopDOPEY, your assertion that our WWII vets who helped destroy the Axis power helped create the U.N. is totally absurd. As a matter of fact, why am I even gracing you with a response? AS a matter of fact, why did you bother pecking if you had nothing to say? Go to your room. Now.

Oh, and by the way, Sweat, exactly what part of Seeker’s post was so atrociously American? The fact that Seeker brings up valid and logical points is what makes the rest of the world mad at us? Really? I’m not surprised. I can see how logic and reason would not fit into their outlook. There. There’s an arrogant thing for me to say. That’ll give them a good and just reason to hate me, at least.

“Trailerpark activism......sick society..
emigrate to Europe...US will implode within 20 years”
No, we’re the arrogant ones. Sweden? Someone from SWEDEN trying to talk condescendingly to us? I laugh in your general and foolish direction.

Look, children, I gotta go get ready for work. I stumbled upon this too late. Hopefully I’ll have time to come back to this before I’m off to work, but stop and reflect a moment on my pearls of wisdom while I’m gone. Curme, just find something shiny to play with.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Curme, just find something shiny to play with.

Like this?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Everybody talks about how good the U.N is, so let's talk.

In 1950, North Korea overan the 38th Paralell. With the intervention of th U.N that war was stabilized but never really ended. This was the last time I can think of where the U.N did any good.

1974-1979; Cambodia goes through 4 years of genocide by Pol Pot. The U.N mandate specifically says that genocide is illegal and that U.N at this point does nothing but set up a few border aid stations.

1985; The humanitarian crises in Ethiopia was brought to the world stage after a photojournalist takes the pictures that rocked the world. Nothing is really done by the U.N. unitl Bob Geldof starts his campaign for food and help.

1991; The U.N gets involved in Somalia only after the U.S. presses for action against the starvation of 3 million. The civil war in Somalia was around for quite awhile before anything was done. The U.N refuses to adopt a stronger resolution to help them even when it's mandate says that ti should. U.N. peacekeepers are killed and still it does nothing.

1994; Rwanda goes through a brutal period of ethnic cleansing and genocide. The word "genocide is very rarely used in U.N communiques. If the U.N. agrees that there is genocide then it must act. It does not act with resolve.

1990's (mid) Countries in West Africa are going through periods of civil war. One country with a democratically elected government requsts aid but never given. This country hires Executive Outcome, a private army of mercenaries. These mercenaries stop the violence, maintains stability. The U.N uses political pressure on that government to cancel their contract with Executive Outcome. Within weeks of them leaving violence starts again ending with the kidnapping and execution of 100's of peacekeepers. U.N does nothing.

2003; Lybia is selected to run the human rights commission within the U.N. Lybia at this time is still on ltist of terror supporting countries.

2004; Darfur, Sudan. Arab government slaughter 70000 people and the U.N sets up commission to look at issues.

The U.N is dead and has been for some time so why keep it around. If it still is viable then house it in your country.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Fred, Freedom of Speech isn’t the same thing as the illusionary Freedom of Expression. Freedom of speech means you can tell the president he has no clothes on without fear of repercussion from the government. That is not the same thing as burning the standard for the entire nation, no matter who is in the Oval Office at the time.

So is it illegal to burn a flag in the U.S.? Or is it your opinion that it should be?

You see, to me, if I were to be confronted with some piece of dirt burning my flag, I’d take his “expression” in a way different from the way he intended, I’m sure. I’d take it that he was trying to tell me to punch him square in the mouth.

And you'd get charged with assault. Either that, or punched right back.

Fitz, you claim that something such as this causes the rest of the world to hate us. Here’s a news report for you, friend, the rest of the world HATES US ANYWAY!

Would you mind sharing some actual proof of how the rest of the world actually hates the U.S. and the U.S. citizens? Or maybe you're quite satisfied with this IMO ignorant assumption of yours?

And furthermore, I do not care.

Really? You actually don't care? So why are you even commenting on it?

I couldn’t care less what these maggots think about us. As a matter of fact, the burning of the U.N. flag expresses my feelings perfectly, get it the heck off our land and get us out of it. We spend the most in that stupid organization only to have po-dunk countries and “friends” try and rip us off at every turn.

That's great TC. Keep rambling.

I can see how logic and reason would not fit into their outlook. There. There’s an arrogant thing for me to say. That’ll give them a good and just reason to hate me, at least.

Well as someone residing outside the US, I would be one of them, I guess. And I don't hate you. However I do disagree with you quite bit. Maybe you'd rather I hated you so it could be interpreted as 'evidence' of this opinion of yours?

“Trailerpark activism......sick society..
emigrate to Europe...US will implode within 20 years”
No, we’re the arrogant ones. Sweden? Someone from SWEDEN trying to talk condescendingly to us? I laugh in your general and foolish direction.

Your response to an unnecessary and uninformed comment such as that is to respond in the same manner? Nice. You really showed him, didn't you?

Look, children, I gotta go get ready for work. I stumbled upon this too late. Hopefully I’ll have time to come back to this before I’m off to work, but stop and reflect a moment on my pearls of wisdom while I’m gone.

Thanks for sharing your pearls, TC.

As far as I'm concerned, if you feel burning the U.N. flag is the only way in which you can present your opinion, then do so. However, I find it disturbing that so many voicing their hate of the U.N. are quite frankly ignorant to what the point of this coalition is, and why it came to be in the first place. Some actually even do think that the U.N. is a nation in itself. And while the U.N. as an organization do suffer from its share of problems; why not be part in trying to fix them instead of saying screw it? The U.S. is a part of the U.N., you know..

And what's the point in fueling this it's us against the world and the rest of the world hates the U.S.-BS? Would some of you rather it was the U.S. against the rest of the world?

[edit on 27-10-2004 by Durden]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
Unfortunately it is things like this that makle the world hate america.

Has there been a reaction in america to this.

Seems the goverment of america wont listen to the UN when it says no to iraq but still wants to use it to ban stem cells. But hypocritical i think.

Also america is part of the united nations, you feeling disgust at something your part on and instead of trying to change it or leave it you burn the flag doesent seem that mature.

[edit on 13/08/2004 by Fitzpatrick]
Not to forget that they want the UN also to pay for a thing they did not supported and help rebuilding a country that was invaded while UN said no. But if it gets too messy and expensive suddenly UN is good again...

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Heh maybe I should have burned a flag of the USA when Bush screwed over the Kyoto agreement?
Or maybe I should have burned a flag of the USA when Bush made mistakes after mistake regarding Iraq and failed to admit any mistakes on his part?

With Bush as president I could probably burn a few flags every day, but I think I have better things to do.
Burning flags is just childish hysterical behavior by those desperately in need of attention. Let's not give it to them.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I wish we would pull out of the UN.

I think the UN is corrupt.

I think if other countries think the UN is doing anything whatsoever other than stealing money then they should feel free to continue to participate...I just would prefer my country not.

I think this was a perfect act of expression. By the way, for whomever thought they were burning it outside of a radio station, that would be negatory good buddy. They were burning it outside the capital building just as the ceremony that included US National Guardsmen hoisting a UN flag was occurring.

I kind of take offense at the use of US National Guardsmen being used to hoist a dirty UN flag myself.

I guess I'll pack up and move to my nearest trailer park, because I'm right inline with this peaceful demonstration of anti-UN sentiment.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I wish we would pull out of the UN.

I think the UN is corrupt.

I think if other countries think the UN is doing anything whatsoever other than stealing money then they should feel free to continue to participate...I just would prefer my country not.

I respect your opinion, Valhall. I only wonder why you'd rather the U.S. pulled out than try and be a part of fixing it? Is pulling out really the best possible way to solve a problem?

I can't say that I seriously believe there is even a nation in the whole world that doesn't suffer from corruption in one way or another. But do we solve this by moving out of our countries?

I don't know, maybe the best way to solve this particular problem is to leave, but personally, I doubt it. I guess it's a trade-off of sorts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join