It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Solar System Nearing Galaxy Center?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Just wondering if anyone knew any information on this? It seemed like an interesting possibility that made sense in a way, so tried to google it. But, I coudn't find anything, so figured I'd make a thread. Anyone?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
its hard to tell..basically we dont know were we are..some even say we make part of a smaller galaxy colliding into the milky way

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I don't know where you got your information but it is well known where we are.

To answer your question OP. No we are not.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

some even say we make part of a smaller galaxy colliding into the milky way

This refers to a fake story in a woowoo web magazine called "Viewzone", which claimed that the Sun is from the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy rather than the Milky Way. The original researchers were so appalled at this misrepresentation of their work that they published a disclaimer stating that the Viewzone article was nonsense17, and that the Sun is NOT from the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy. Astronomer Phil Plait has also debunked this.18
Earthplay currently has an illustration of the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy on his webpage, and continues to prefer the trashy magazine story associated with it to the real astronomical research. (update; he has now removed this image from his page).

www.2012hoax.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

So they say. We haven't been outside our solar system yet. I think that pioneer 10? is getting close now.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Nowhere close, buddy.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Our galaxy is ( to best estimates) about 100,000 light years across, there is NO WAY pioneer 10 is even CLOSE to leaving our galaxy.

and what do u mean by nearing our galaxies center?
as in it is almost alined with the center or as in distance from it?
because if you mean distance, your way of buddy.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626

I don't know where you got your information but it is well known where we are.

To answer your question OP. No we are not.

why do you think i said..

"some even say"

my point is that its hard to tell were we are related to the center of the galactic plane ..what we have in hands are only estimates nothing more nothing less

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Can't edit OP now. Let me clarify something: I specifically want to know if we are getting CLOSER to the center of the galaxy, not how close or how fast we are advancing. So I don't mean 'are we getting close,' but rather are we getting closer. It seems as though the answer may be unknown. I hypothesize that we are, because it makes sense for my own reasons. Sounds like we may not know one way or the other at this point, though.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheJourney
I specifically want to know if we are getting CLOSER to the center of the galaxy,

Every day we move closer then further away, every year the same....

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

I specifically want to know if we are getting CLOSER to the center of the galaxy,

Every day we move closer then further away, every year the same....

Well yes, in the short term. But it seems possible, I think probable, that there are larger term cycles going on in the universe/galaxy, which it would be difficult to determine given current technologies. It makes sense that such a trend could be a gradual nearing towards galactic center, being pulled by black holes and the like, by means of smaller and smaller periodic cycles, such as our 'years,' 'days,' etc.
edit on 2-1-2013 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

why do you think i said..

"some even say"

my point is that its hard to tell were we are related to the center of the galactic plane ..what we have in hands are only estimates nothing more nothing less

If by "only an estimate" you mean very precise calculations and not us physically travelling from the center of the galaxy and then back again to calculate the route.... Then sure, it's just the best educated guess of our astrophysicists.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Edit: misread quote!
edit on 2-1-2013 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Can't edit OP now. Let me clarify something: I specifically want to know if we are getting CLOSER to the center of the galaxy, not how close or how fast we are advancing. So I don't mean 'are we getting close,' but rather are we getting closer. It seems as though the answer may be unknown. I hypothesize that we are, because it makes sense for my own reasons. Sounds like we may not know one way or the other at this point, though.
We have been observing the stars orbiting the black hole Sgr A* at the center of the Milky Way for something like 20 years now, and have observed the doppler shifts can determine when those stars are moving relatively closer to or relatively further from the Earth. I think if we were moving closer to the center of the milky way at any significant rate, we would observe this in the doppler shifts of those orbiting stars. But even estimating the distance to Sgr A* is somewhat imprecise, with a margin of error of perhaps 5% or so, therefore measuring small changes in this distance is difficult.

But I'm not sure what reason you have for saying "I hypothesize that we are, because it makes sense for my own reasons." We know that the orbit of the Earth around the sun is relatively stable, but very slowly the Earth has been moving away from the sun, and I see no reason why our solar system's orbit around the galactic center couldn't be very slightly increasing, rather than decreasing, for similar reasons (less mass at the center of the orbit, due to mass being converted to energy in stellar fusion). I think if you really did some digging on this, you would find we could put limits on how much the distance could be increasing or decreasing, so we can probably say the change is smaller than those limits, but within those limits, we probably don't know exactly, as you suggest.

top topics

join