It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the government really going to come for guns?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I really am wondering how many people really think that the government is seriously going to come after guns in the U.S.

From what you're seeing, do you think that they're going to come for guns?

If so, do you think that it will only be "assault" weapons, or do you think that it will be a much larger and widespread gun ban?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yes they are coming for the guns.

See :
Illinois

CULLERTON TO INTRODUCE NEAR TOTAL GUN BAN ON JANUARY 2ND

The ISRA has learned from a credible source that Illinois Senate President John Cullerton will introduce a so called “assault weapons” ban on Wednesday when the legislature returns for its “lame duck” session. Cullerton hopes to ramrod the bill through and get it to Governor Quinn for signature by Friday. If he is successful at doing so, nearly every gun you currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police.

Based on what we know about Cullerton’s bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Pump action shotguns would be banned as well. This would be a very comprehensive ban that would include not only so-called “assault weapons” but also such classics as M1 Garands and 1911-based pistols. There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering. You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the State Police to avoid prosecution.

NY

New York Gov. Cuomo supports gun confiscation

In California, the democrats have a super-majority... they could do anything.

And as more time goes by, the few pro-guns SCOTUS judges will be replaced by anti-gun nuts like Kagan and Sotomayor... so forget SCOTUS defending you.
edit on 2-1-2013 by lolita64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I think they are going to come after guns...

in 2050

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

It's just a matter of time.

Patriot Act, NDAA, NDRP. A grand agenda is being pushed.

All you can do is enjoy the ride.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Yes, I believe the disarming of the US is the next agenda. And according to the outline of the Feinstein bill, it will be handguns as well.

She is up to 120 types of guns already. It's going to get messy, and it should. We have already let the government get away with far to much.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

At the moment, Im not really sure what the next few months hold. As a gun owner, Feinsteins bill scares the heck out of me. This bill isnt just a revive of the Clinton era AWB, it's that AWB x 10. This bill also goes after handguns and also adds in so called "registration". From what I understand at the moment, this "registration" is basically categorizing any firearm that holds more than 10 rounds as a NFA firearm. (Full-auto firearms are considered NFA firearms currently).

This means it's possible my Glock 19 would be in the same category as a full-auto Uzi, a full-auto .50caliber machine gun, hand grenades and explosives (DD's, destructive devices)

Here's what Feinsteins website says about this bill....

www.feinstein.senate.gov...

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.

From what I see, anything that holds over 10 rounds will be banned.....but there is an exception....

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.

But.........

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.

Ive only bought guns through FFL's. During my purchase, I already have almost all of the above done on me. The serial number is recored in the sale by the FFL. I show my picture ID at the sale. I go through the NICS background check when I buy a firearm.

The only thing not done in the latter part of the grandfathering part, is the "Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration", and the fingerprints part. If you are a CHL holder, then they already have your fingerprints.

This is how I see this bill at the moment. If you are a legal gun owner and you have any firearm that holds more than 10 rounds, you will be put in the same category as felons, unless you give the government more money.

If people like Feinstein get their way, then yes, they will send the government to grab your guns if you dont give them more cash.
edit on 2-1-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Also, if they do decide to just up and go full on confiscation, well, there's hundreds of millions of guns out there. I dont see an easy way to all out confiscation in one blow.

The last I heard was there's roughly 300 million guns in the hands of civilians at the moment. And with the massive fear of more gun control in the past couple weeks, Im guessing there's more (tons more) out there now.

Pretty much everywhere across the country, shelves are bare. The so called "Assault rifles" have been wiped clean, with orders backing up to 20 weeks or more in some places (Ive even heard up to 10 months). Websites are shutting down just because they are the busiest they've been. Heck, I cant find .223 ammo anywhere at all, even online. Even handgun ammo is starting to run out around my area. The places I go online for firearm related stuff has messages like this. (This one is from Carolina Shooters Supply)

If that's not bad, check this out.

Background check backlogged, gun sales soar

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO. -- The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is planning to ask lawmakers for $500,000 to help it more quickly process the huge backlog of background checks for gun buyers.

After the school shooting in Newtown, Ct the agency has been swamped.

According to the Denver Post, in November, it took an average of 23 minutes for a gun buyer in Colorado to get a criminal-background check.

The wait time now has stretched to nearly a week as the CBI stuggles with the backlog of more than 11,000 applications.

.....23 minutes turned into a week? The state needs atleast half a million dollars....just for background checks on new gun purchases?!?! Im guessing this type of backlog will contine as more gun control talk heats up in politics.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Plus now we have companies refusing to fill legal orders.

Dicks sporting goods refuses to fill orders placed before the CT shooting.

I know private companies have that right, but there are rumblings of government calls going out to companies warning them not to sell.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Dicks sporting goods is looking for a class action lawsuit.

Everybody should boycott those bastards since they have no spine and don't really support the second amendment. They need to go bankrupt.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Plus now we have companies refusing to fill legal orders.

I know private companies have that right, but there are rumblings of government calls going out to companies warning them not to sell.

True, there are some companies out there that are refusing to sell certain items. Ive heard Dicks and Walmart took their "Assault Rifles" off the shelves just because of the shooting. They're both a private company and they can do what they want and have no gripe with them pulling those rifles.

The thing I really have a problem with, is price gouging. I understand raising prices in a time like this, but there's a point to where it becomes rediculous. Ive seen run of the mill DPMS Panthers go for $1,500 and even higher. A month ago I could pick up a DPMS Panther for $800 at the FFL's in my area.

It's not just the firearms themselves that are being gouged. Cheaper than dirt is a good example.

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

$100 bucks for something that was about 1/4th the price a year ago.....Plenty of people have gone off on them because of this. Im never doing business with CTD ever again.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
i do not believe they will go door to door but they might just require AW permits and outlaw sales of new AWs.

Some states may do the same like calif has done with AWs. There are a lot of AWs stored in Nevada by people from Calif

Some states will likely tell the feds to bug off and i may move to one of those states.

Even if they did a complete ban and said you have to turn in all AWs i would not, I would bury them in concrete first or destroy them my self so that the government could not take them off the books.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
From a dealer's point of view, this is very much a seller's market with demand outstripping supply so they can charge whatever they consider potential customers are prepared to pay. After all, they were never in business for the good of their customers now were they?

The problem with each state making its own new rules (or making no changes) is the lack of uniformity so any localized changes will be grossly ineffective as you can simply go for a drive and return with whatever goods you desired. Change would need to implemented at a national level IE same rules in all states from the same date to have any measure of success.

Will 'they' come for your guns?
I'd say no, unless they had grounds to obtain a warrant to search your premises based on some other suspected illegal activity. The most likely approach is to first declare exactly what firearms are illegal to possess and an end date for a amnesty period in which those weapons can be handed in (a realistic level of compensation definitely helps with this). Past the amnesty harsh penalties would apply for anyone found in possession of a banned weapon but they're not going to bust down doors to get them without a really good reason to do so EG owners barricading themselves in a house and loudly declaring they'll be shooting at anyone trying to enter - that's a siege situation and presents a danger to the public in general so warrants whatever force necessary to eliminate it.

edit on 2/1/2013 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
They'll need to create a gun registration first, then implement Martial law, then that's when they come for our guns.

Never register your guns, it's the first step to confiscation.

Edit, What I mean by "come for our guns" is that they'll give you like x amount of days to turn firearms in or some punishment like in the Philippines.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Preacher76 because: (no reason given)

Edit #2, After that they could go to each FFL dealer and get all the paper work and go to each individual to confiscate. However that would take years and it'd only have the guns purchased in the past 20 years.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Preacher76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
See my thread on "Gun Control: Here is how it will go down"....pre-Feinstein.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The very fact that you have had to ask this question should ring alarm bells for you.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Prior to Obama's first election those mags were about $14/ea and they only doubled at most dealers as I recall. Those that sold out had waiting lists but they were all reluctant to raise prices by more than 100%...now the demand (actual gun control proposals vs the threat of same) is so much that the dealers could not resist the temptation.

edit on 2-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Is the government really going to come for guns?

Short answer? NO

The NRA is a branch of the GOP tasked with rallying support from Libertarians via fear mongering.

This has been going on since the late 1970's and is funded mostly by Gun Manufacturers, Karl Rove's PAC, plus Freedomworks etc.

History of the NRA
www.npr.org...

NRA Cricus of Fear

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by lolita64

If true... That ban includes hunting weapons!

Ok this we can not do....

I personally do not believe shotguns should even be considered in an "Assault Weapons" ban... They are heavily regulated as it is......

Before any of the anti-gun crowd replies to me consider this... Shotguns are for birds (and in some states for deer).. They are heavily regulated and must be plugged (meaning they are only allowed to house two or three shells in the magazine depending on your state).... A hunting shotgun (even semi-auto) could not be considered as anything but... It's a hunting shotgun... They have a really long barrel, choke tubes and a plugged magazine and are designed specifically for hunting applications.....

Heck my semi-auto shotty (that is specifically for bird hunting) is probably the most popular model in the UK right now... Yeah.. the UK......

Why include hunting weapons?!
edit on 2-1-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
No they aren't going to confiscate my or your guns.

Imagine the manpower that would take. There aren't enough anti gun people out there to pull it off.

The NRA, gun manufactures and shooting sports enthusiast, are a very powerful lobby in DC. Not gonna happen. Stop the fear mongering; it's lame.

Use your common sense. It's just not feasible.

We've been hearing this "they're gonna get our guns" BS since Reagan was shot. Hasn't happened yet!
edit on 2-1-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
since they've done it successfully before, i can't see any reason why they wouldn't at least try.

what i find simply, ridiculously hypocritical is that most 'new gun owners' or owners of newer guns don't even realize that their purchases are directly financially fueling the ANTI lobby

now that's both funny and sad.
for those who aren't following what i'm talking about, look into Freedom Group, the manufacturers that they own and which of those are producing the 'assault weapons' flying off the shelves these days.

if Americans, truly interested in their 2nd Amendment guarantees, were focusing their purchases of items FROM manufacturers who have not sold out to Freedom Group, we might be developing a foothold in terms of legislation ... however, at this point, all we've really accomplished is a substantial improvement to their $$$ fighting coffers.

it's sad, but true.
personally, i won't spend a dime on any product manufactured by a Freedom Group member.
there are plenty of other choices still currently available.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join