It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget global warming, Alaska is headed for an ice age

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Forget global warming, Alaska is headed for an ice age

www.alaskadispatch.com

With lots of ice to lose, the state had heated up about twice as fast as the rest of the planet, in line with rising global greenhouse gas emissions, note the Alaska Climate Center researchers, Gerd Wendler, L. Chen and Blake Moore. After a "sudden temperature increase" in Alaska starting in 1977, the warmest decade on record occurred in the 1980s, followed by another jump in the 1990s, they note. The third warmest decade was the 1920s, by the way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1/2/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: title to same as source

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
So, what does this mean?
When I was a kid, scientists were concerned with 'global cooling." Essentially, schools taught us that the evil catalytic converter was spewing so much junk into the atmosphere that precious sunlight was being blocked from the earth and was therefore causing the earth to cool...

Then came "global warming" which proposed the opposite...the earth was heating up and, again, man was causing it by polluting the atmosphere with all kinds of chemicals and, my favorite, water and carbon dioxide...

Now it seems that we are back to cooling...

But dont worry, scientists have accounted for this by inventing the new term "climate change" to cover any change earth's climate....heck, they can even explain stasis in weather patterns....

Congratulations scientists!!!

-christosterone

www.alaskadispatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
So you were a kid and remember CO2 emissions and...
Al Gore et al espousing the coming ice age ...
... and then.you grew up and saw ...
Al Gore et al espousing the coming global warming ...

All for the same reasons.

And you're not the least bit worried about a man and his minions changing their mind?

Let us not forget that the average pre-catalytic converter vehicle from 1972 put out just about as much CO2 in grams per mile as current models do.

So by saving us from acid rain the environmentalists have condemned us to global warming.
...?

edit on 1/2/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

This is way before Al gore threw his hat into the climate ring...I am old....
Gore and his acolytes were yet to go after the rap industry when I was a kid...

Environmentalists are the same buffoons who railed against nucleur energy which is infinitely safer and cleaner by exponential margins than deriving energy from convential means (eg coal, etc...)

-christosterone

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Not really sure how old you are here but I remember Gore and such piping up about the coming ice age in the '80s.

If you're around my age, and were into the 'alternative' music of the early 80's, you might recognize my avatar... the name of the album is my signature.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Global cooling was taught to me in the early 1970s.
It was a legitimate fear by the newly empowered environmental movement.

There was an obsession by the environmentalist movement with both cooling and the ozone layer.
Their obsession with the ozone layer was overwhelming and, to me, bordered on a religion of sorts...it was an ethos at the very least.....
I say this mostly due to their fervent belief in unsubstantiated data which, in my opinion, was tantamount to faith....

-christosterone

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christosterone
>snip<
Environmentalists are the same buffoons who railed against nucleur energy which is infinitely safer and cleaner by exponential margins than deriving energy from convential means (eg coal, etc...)

-christosterone

I will somewhat agree with you there.

Nothing we have available contributes less to fabled anthropogenic global climate change than nuclear.

It actually seems we might be on the same side of the page here.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

And you're not the least bit worried about a man and his minions changing their mind?

Let us not forget that the average pre-catalytic converter vehicle from 1972 put out just about as much CO2 in grams per mile as current models do.

So by saving us from acid rain the environmentalists have condemned us to global warming.
...?

Im not defending Gore or speaking for him but I'm curious... Is it possible for global warming to cause an ice age?

maybe once the caps are gone or have receded past a certain point, it could cause a chain reaction that would generate an ice age in order to regenerate the ice caps.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I wouldn't trust a politician as far as I could throw one. Especially Al Gore. Yes, the climate is shifting, changing and no one can claim they know one way or another, why it is happening. I'd put my money on Solar Weather, but that is just my opinion.

edit on 2/1/2013 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christosterone
Global cooling was taught to me in the early 1970s.
There was an obsession by the environmentalist movement...
... bordered on a religion of sorts...it was an ethos at the very least.....
... mostly due to their fervent belief in unsubstantiated data ... tantamount to faith....

-christosterone

Hope you don't mind me cropping out your opinions?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty

Originally posted by abecedarian

...?

Im not defending Gore or speaking for him but I'm curious... Is it possible for global warming to cause an ice age?

maybe once the caps are gone or have receded past a certain point, it could cause a chain reaction that would generate an ice age in order to regenerate the ice caps.

Warming could cause an ice age. Just look to recent history (< 100000 years).
More drastic changes to the climate have happened in recorded history without alleged human intervention than what's happened since the "industrial revolution".

You could also go back even farther and find conditions with higher CO2 concentrations and temperatures than we have now.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Al Gore and any other Politician that's preaching the Ice is Melting needs to ask the people of Alaska what they think.
Please, Forget global warming, Alaska is headed for Cold Weather,, No Really! Al Gore is Wrong!

Alaska is going rogue on climate change. Defiant as ever, the state that gave rise to Sarah Palin is bucking the mainstream yet again: While global temperatures surge hotter and the ice-cap crumbles, the nation's icebox is getting even icier. That may not be news to Alaskans coping with another round of 50-below during the coldest winter in two decades, or to the mariners locked out of the Bering Sea this spring by record ice growth. Then again, it might. The 49th state has long been labeled one of the fastest-warming spots on the planet. But that's so 20th Century. In the first decade since 2000, the 49th state cooled 2.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Even though warmer air is due by Christmas Day, Anchorage was already enroute to the coldest winter since 1982.

The source you ask,,, How about a news paper article from Alaska: www.alaskadispatch.com...,1
edit on 2-1-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

CO2 follows the temp rise. It is not the other way round.

We are heading for another ice age. Mankind may be helping a tiny bit, but the truth is, it does not matter.

The Earth's heat comes from the big heater in the sky. We call it the Sun. It's output in the past decade has been a lot less than expected.

I think the image says it all!

P

edit on 2/1/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

CO2 follows the temp rise. It is not the other way round.

We are heading for another ice age. Mankind may be helping a tiny bit, but the truth is, it does not matter.

The Earth's heat comes from the big heater in the sky. We call it the Sun. It's output in the past decade has been a lot less than expected.

I think the image says it all!

P

Friend pheonix358.
OK, That makes sense!

edit on 2-1-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Lol, had to figure out how to get it there. It is now where it should be.

P

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
After all this time, unless someone is making money off this man caused climate change crap, why does anyone still believe it?

All the lies exposed, zero proof.....come on...it's a controlling, money making scheme.

Companies, governments and the UN are manipulating the world with this bs.

And now the crap about fireplaces killing us......how stupid are people?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty

As a matter of fact yes - if enough ice melts from the North Pole, then it's possible that it could affect the Gulf Stream. If that shuts down then it would get horribly cold quite fast.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Can you please cite something that shows that Climate Change isn't happening? Because all the information I've seen says that it's happening.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Of course climate change is happening. It is a natural occurrence!

Can man change the course of climate change? No, we can not! All the money in the world will make no difference at all.

Can a few people get as rich as hell off climate change? Yes they can and yes they are!

P

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Meh... I wiwsh global warming was for real, it has been f'ing cold this year. We had about 2.5 inches of snow and the rest has been sub zero until 3 days ago when the air currents changed due to a low pressure system in the gulf coming from HI of all places. Tho this is nothing new, we get what is called "Chinook Winds", this happens from time to time, when the jet stream from the trade winds changes direction and we get 100+ mph winds and 40-60 degree tempratures.

Last year we broke our record for snow, and that was a mess, we had snow until August
. Alaska more so than any other state in the country and practically of the world, takes care of our enviroment. We have some the strictist envriomental laws in the world. Here's one example, on the north slope where they drill for oil, if a polar bear wanders with in ONE mile of the rig it has to shut down operations until it leaves. It has been a running joke of climate change up here. Take ANWR for instance, the caribou herds (reindeer for those that don't know what I am talking about) have grown exponentially since the pipeline was built, as well as all the predators, etc... The envirowackos would have you believe just the opposite, and that it is some plush tree filled land, when in reality it is nothing but tundera.

I am not saying there is not climate change happening, but I seriously man is having that huge of an impact on it. I am sure we are contributing more than just natural, however explain this how is it all the planets in the solar system tempratures are rising about the same 2 degrees, its not fossil fuels or SUV's, its the sun.

Grim

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join