It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass bird deaths in TN in afternoon. 12-31-12

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

Thank you for the post, your theory is quite possible and more likely than fireworks or a single vehicle. This is the type of response I was looking for when I created this thread, someone to post a possible/likely theory and to explain it. I just had to wade through the half dozen 1 line "fireworks" replies to get to it.

Plus I wouldn't have discounted the firework theory if at least one person could explain in detail HOW store bought fireworks could even do it. No one did which is why I don't consider it a likely cause.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
I want to expand on my methane hypothesis. Methane is considered a "simple aphxiant", meaning it replaces atmospheric oxygen an causes aphxiation. Just look at the state of the birds at the time. It is colorless and orderless (commcercially another chemical is added which causes the "rotten egg" smell). It is found naturally in the environment and can seep through the soil and through water. A common source of methane can be found in coal for one thing. I don't know if this location is in coal country, but that could be a source. Methane is lighter than air, in large amounts it can form a cloud, if the conditions are right. Normally it just disapates into the environment.

If a weather inversion is present, meaning high altitude warmer air compresses low altitude cooler air, oxygen rich air would be closer to ground level; the methane cloud would reside in the warmer air. Think about how cooking oil would layer on water in a glass. That would be a repersentation of what I'm talking about. This would explain why we don't see dead squirrels and cow at ground level, and while birds in flight could encounter the methane cloud.

If a methane cloud large enough to take out approx. 300 birds were in the area, I would hope no one would be setting off fireworks. I don't know what would happen, but we all know that methane is extreamly flammible. lol.

What gets me is the timeing. It seems to happen around New Years/ New Years Eve. I could see if it were a week or two either way, but in the last few years its been odd that is been within a day or two in different locations.

So, there is my contribution...not fireworks, or trucks, but gas.

It is hydrogen sulfide that has the rotten egg smell. These die-offs are not just happening on New Years. They are happening all year, check out this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You only notice this one because its around the New Year and the Bebe, AR die-off got so much attention. I agree with your post that its a gas bubble, and it's either hydrogen sulfide or methane. Hydrogen sulfide is heavier-than-air and releases into the atmosphere and then floats back down to earth, settles in low lying areas and is causing many other problems and unexplained explosions as it does this. The birds could have flown into either one of these plumes, but that is my best guess... methane or hydrogen sulfide. Check out the thread in my signature for a whole lot more information on these gases.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

All i have to do is look out of my window during a day and i can see all types of birds flying around my area. Are you suggesting there were no other species birds in the area? I mean, i understand the fact they are usually in flocks, but as i mentioned i never just see one species of bird in one area. Nor would i expect "fireworks" to only effect one species at a time.

If it were fireworks, which i know you mentioned you don't necessarily think it was, then why would it only happen in a certain area? You'd think if fireworks could cause this it wouldn't be such a localized event every year... (I do know mass animal deaths happen all the time, though) But in this case the "fireworks" story doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm not for a moment saying it's a sign for the apocalypse, as i stated, mass deaths happen all the time. I just wonder though,are they starting to be a bit more frequent? Or are we just hearing about it more? I wonder if anyone would know the actual figures? (of course, such figures can't be 100% accurate) But see if there has actually been a rise in mass animal deaths, for unknown or debatable causes. Rather than just the old "social media and news websites allow us to hear about them more, but they are normal"

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrConspiracy
reply to post by FireballStorm

All i have to do is look out of my window during a day and i can see all types of birds flying around my area. Are you suggesting there were no other species birds in the area?

Not at all. All I'm saying is that, if a large flock of birds descends on a particular location, the majority of birds in that location is going to be the members of that flock, which is usually composed of a single species. There might well be other birds in the area at the same time, but they will usually be outnumbered significantly in that small area by the members of the flock.

Originally posted by MrConspiracy
I just wonder though,are they starting to be a bit more frequent? Or are we just hearing about it more? I wonder if anyone would know the actual figures? (of course, such figures can't be 100% accurate) But see if there has actually been a rise in mass animal deaths, for unknown or debatable causes. Rather than just the old "social media and news websites allow us to hear about them more, but they are normal"

Yes it would be interesting to see actual figures. Without that it would be very hard to tell if these types of events were increasing in frequency, or it was just a perceived increase due better news gathering. My bet would be a mixture of both, with the emphasis on better news gathering.

I've seen a similar situation (here on ATS) with my own field of specialization (meteors and fireballs), where people who are new to the subject (this is the key) are continually stepping up and saying "it seems there are more", but as someone who has studied the subject for 15 years now, my perception of the subject is completely different. I don't see any evidence of an increase in the frequency of fireballs, although there has been a definite increase in the frequency of reports, but this could be due to any number of factors. It does not necessarily mean that there are more fireballs than there were before. It could just be that we are getting better at reporting them, which I am sure we have been. The question is, just how much?

What needs to be done, is that a baseline of data is established, and only then can current data be statistically compared to the baseline before we can get an accurate idea of what is actually going on, without the bias of personal perception. Raw data without a statistical analysis that takes into account all the factors involved is basically useless, and potentially very misleading.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dizrael

i'm sorry, do you think about the things you type?

how does one car... or a firwork show big enough to kill DOZENS of birds. did you look at the pictures? they were everywhere. and DOZENS of them. try again please.

I'm sorry, but what the heck to you mean?
It came from the article directly.
I didn't just make up an idea.

As far as witnesses not being reliable, I'm sure if the witness had said they saw the birds hit a cloud of gas and fall to the ground some of you would have an entirely different opinion on how reliable witnesses are.

I believe the birds hit a car. I believe the bird numbers have been so varied (20-300?) that we haven't exactly determined how many there even were.

The birds had trauma as if they had been hit by something. They were scattered along a road. A witness saw a white car hit a group of birds. PETA and another animal rights group has offered a reward on information on the driver of this vehicle.

I still say a car hit a group of birds and things have been exaggerated ever since.

Believe me, I wish this was another case like in Arkansas the last two years. I was waiting for it to happen, and checking the news on the 31st. I've been following this bird death phenomenon since 2010. This is not the same thing. It was a car.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Last year was bad enough, but it looks like this year will be the same or worse

Here is a list from 2012

watchful-servant.blogspot.ca...

Diakonos

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I LIVE IN SEYMOUR, TENNESSEE!!

it was very very odd and no one here has a real idea of what happened. Strange as the event is, conversations about it have quickly subsided, as if it is something everyone is used to and should have no concern for health dangers.

I'll post back in a little bit if I hear anything else about it.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Next time you are out and see a dead bird grab it before a government agent does...who knows, some private researcher/scientist may discover the true cause. No wonder these stories die off the news as fast as these birds fall from the sky....the government is hiding the truth from us!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I Greet You!
I been using this site to search for answers, and I know there are many theories. So, I am not saying this site has all the answers, but we can speculate and theorize but since we are on the food chain, just praying someone comes up with answers.
Mass Animal Deaths Site

Have a nice day!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hi All, My first post here.

Some of you may have touched on electromagnetic energy that could have caused this, I also think these mass die offs is the cause of this.

Please watch this very good and educational film if you have time, this could be the major cause not only for the bird die offs, but all life on Earth I believe is suffering because of the Electromagnetic soup we all now live in.

Resonance - Beings of Frequency.

All Animals are under attack from many levels, this being just one side of the attack.

Good day all.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Sorry for such a long delay to reply here Skywatcher!

I thought about snatchin one of them, but I heard my mom's voice in my head reminding me of what she said years ago, 'Birds can be a serious health risk, if you come in contact with one. It's hard to know what they are infected with. If the bird is dead, never handle it!'

Not that she was/is right (I believe she is), but, even with gloves and a dust mask, I don't like the idea of coming in contact with a potential disease carrier.

If it happens again, then I will risk it and hope taking that chance will be meaningful in the long run.

So creepy, really... If I notice the crazy sound phenomena again, I'll be certain to check the area immediately after it goes quiet. There may be a relation there that no one has picked up on yet...

If the strange sound phenomena and animal die-offs are found to have some sort of relation, where would we go from there?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

We each have our opinions... I'll stick with mine from 15 years of professional driving across this nations interstates day in and day out for about 90% of that time. In my professional opinion as an experienced commercial driver? There is absolutely no way in creation a passenger vehicle went through what the article states was a count of 50 when they stopped bothering to count more.

A count of the birds on the scene stopped at around 50, when not even half of the visible birds were tallied. Perhaps dozens more were scattered in a nearby field, which was flooded from the recent rainfall. As far as 60 yards from the main site of the birds, individual starlings were found.
(Op Link)

I'd want pics before I'd believe a 18 wheel TRUCK would take out that many at once and I've never seen more than 2 or 3. (Birds tend to veer off sharply and even make games of it, to watch them sometimes) This is with vehicles running 70-80 mph, not whatever this car was doing on the edge of a residential neighborhood.

The story doesn't even pass the laugh test in my judgement and opinion. Though again, we all have our opinions and if folks want to believe these birds were clumped in a "swirling mass" roughly 4 feet by 6-6.5 feet, (Avg car width looks to be around 79 inches or so.. and 4 feet is a decent guess for an avg car height as well) and all got hit fatally, then I suppose... Pretty much anything works.

60 yards... BTW.., would be 180 feet out into a flooded field. That's a long way for a wounded bird to hop or flop..and getting out of the water after the first splash out to go the rest? Hmmm... It sounds perfectly reasonable for them falling scattered from a bit of altitude though. Just my thoughts...

edit on 3-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Corrected measurement note and linked it to vehicle spec data

Very valid points (as is usual for you!). I agree that it seems unlikely, under normal circumstances. However, if something else did affect these birds, and caused them to not fly as they normally would, I could consider the car being a factor. I could even consider a very unusual case of a flock simply not moving in time.

In any case, I would hope that a necropsy of the birds would tell some cause for us. Some chemical or biological cause would show up, and they certainly seem to have a lot to test.

Certainly, with that many years of driving, you have seen more than most of us. Have known a couple of long haul drivers.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join