It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

User / Online contact database...any ideas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
(Move if necessary. General seemed to fit on this.)

I have a problem and a question to the ATS community. The problem is simple.

The more time I've spent here working to become established in the community and becoming comfortable around everyone, the more friends (and occasional foes) I've accumulated. At some point this becomes it's own problem. If I posted a few times a week and didn't engage in spirited debate with a wide range of folks, it wouldn't be a problem of course. It's easy enough to mentally keep straight a few dozen people on either side of the F/F line. The more active though, the more difficult it becomes.

Some time back I made an error on this and actually lost what I'd considered a friendship with a member here. I'd gotten into an aggressive debate with someone and as I normally do, I debate issues and not people as much as humanly possible. That went a little too far when, for whatever reason, I drew a total blank on not only the name but avatar. So, in U2U's, indicating I didn't recall off hand who they were? Well.. That was the very wrong answer, let me say...

So what I am looking for is a Database style program that is set up to record entries with basics like Screen Name, Avatar, general profile stats and the like. Not simply for who I interact with here, but it becomes extremely valuable when extended across all the sites I frequent and chat and debate on. What I imagine I'd end up with here is an interface for manually entering all this by hand on each of course (Nothing automated desired and it wouldn't be all that useful either, in that form) but set for this general purpose. I know I can adapt Address or Contact book applications but that misses the point of having a specific tool to fit the job? The data fields for a business contact database will be different enough from forum/web site user contacts to matter. (For instance, a side record showing not one ...but each Avatar I come to know a person uses, for reference at a glance)

I'd like to ask, before I sit down and teach myself how to write one to do this .... Is there something like this already out on the net? It seems a very obvious thing for active people to want and need but I can't seem to find quite what I'm looking for?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The friends list maybe?

I see this site and the "people" who populate it like I see the people I work with with. 9 out of 10 I don't consider to be very "learned" if you will so I try to avoid them. There's always that 1 out of 10 though that comes across as a straight shooter, like this new guy where I work for example, that I enjoy talking to.

That's what I try to do, populate my friends list with people whom I'd like to have conversations with. You don't really have to have that list in your profile though, you can always have it offsite on a word processor for example. Not really concerned with their avatars though, or what people look like, just whether or not they come across as being educated.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You might try creating a spreadsheet or a searchable database. I know a spreadsheet is easy. I've looked at databases and they don't seem too hard to set up. Just for clarity here, I manage a kitchen and was looking for a way to manage my supplies inventory.

I installed LibreOffice and was playing around with it. It's an open source alternative to Microsoft Office and has versions for Windows, Linux and Mac.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
It's actually quite an easy endeavour... It just comes down to how much information you want to store.

Searching parameters are easy to establish as well...
Need a design brief

edit on 1/1/2013 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the offer Sovaka, as I'm taking that to be by asking for a design brief. The fact of the matter is, if I can't find a program tailored to the purpose then I need to make it myself anyway. One of my courses this semester is focused entirely on MS Office so.... no time like the present to learn Access, I suppose. That's one corner of the suite I've never really done anything with but the syllabus says it'll certainly be a part of the whole course.

I just hate reinventing the wheel. I've done that a couple times on things like this, only to find after the fact....If I'd just asked..I could have saved hours or days of work depending on what it was at the time. Sounds like it's off to make it though.

Just as well I guess... I'll get the Access experience and there's nothing like hand made to have it tailor made, right?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Exactly right, you will get what you need without the bloat.

Large access tables or spreadsheets can get a bit slow handling.

If you must use either, I'd suggest Access as you can format the output a lot easier.
Spreadsheets are good if you want a table of comparisons without the need to search.

If you know any PHP, I'd suggest doing it that way and using an SQL database.

top topics

join