It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World War Z

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The audio book is excellent. I'd highly recommend it. They have many different (known) actors doing various voices, and it is one of the best audio books I've ever listened to.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
We viewed this movie in a cinema in Glasgow Scotland, it was part filmed there. It was funny to see audience members nudging each other with "there's George Square" and such like.

As to the movie, mm, well it wasted a couple of hours I guess. Came away disappointed.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I second that, the newly released audiobook was a great listen.

*Potential Spoilers*

The movie though, I was left a little disappointed. There were some great moments, the ambient atmosphere of certain scenes made the movie feel believable. The sense of uncertainty and the fear of the unknown in the apartment scene in New Jersey, the ominous sense of desperate risk and surreal danger in South Korea, and the sense of false security found in Jerusalem; all of these were moments that could have made the movie even better were they appropriately utilized.

The main thing that bothered me was the pacing of the story. From the beginning the film felt like a sprint to the finish. So quick in fact, that key moments were allowed to pass without expounding on them. The entire ending of the movie was a disaster as far as I am concerned. The facility from near the end just felt like a flashback to Resident Evil, a movie I did not like. And the abrupt wrap up and miracle solution to everything felt too rushed to even be logical or enjoyable.

I was glad to see some parts of the story told like they were, but it felt like the producers really missed out on the best parts of the book and skimped on the parts they did touch on.

If you've never read the book, it'd be an okay movie if you were bored. If you've read the book and aren't a die hard fan who wants to see even a mediocre attempt to turn it into a film, you'll likely be disappointed.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I'm going into it with the idea that this is a zombie movie, but not World War Z. From the previews, it just doesn't even seem like the same animal. So, I'm going to try and divorce my expectations from the book.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
i was highly disappointed that this was a Zombie flick.... i thought it was going to be some interesting thing that is going to affect humans...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's probably the best way to go in to it. If I wouldn't have associated it with the book it would be a pretty good movie. The pacing would still be a bit breathtaking, but I wouldn't have noticed small things they stuck in just to make connections in random places. If you saw the previews this won't be a spoiler, but the zombies move real quick! I was under the impression from the book that they were slow and lumbering, but that doesn't really translate well into a movie like this so they made them fast. I was actually okay with that, it's an interesting touch that hasn't been around since I Am Legend.

This honesty feels more like a remake of I Am Legend from a different angle. I'd be perfectly okay with it if that's how they marketed it!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well damn, I'm suppose to go see this tonight with the gf, not sounding all the promising, but what was I expecting? I'm guessing the draw for me to see it at this point is the wave-like horde of zombies crashing to and fro.

Can't be as bad ass Oblivion.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Its worth seeing but... this is Zombie flick mixed with politics. But it still has mainstream Zombie stuff.

I went into assuming it was some sort of human "evolution" that gone wrong, boy was i wrong.

First 20 mins in the movie.. "omg this is a zombie movie..." what was running in my head.

But if you like Zombie flicks, you will still enjoy it.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Well I have heard Mr. Jones claim it was an anti-individual, pro-NWO, pro-Govt movie.

We shall see.

Who doesn't like zombies?

edit on 26-6-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I think it is over used, i used to enjoy it when it was Resident Evil, was kinda of one of its kind.

Then its started popping up everywhere, even series. Now they have a sappy love stories about Zombies..forgot the name... coming to theaters near you.

Not hating on it or anything, i just think its overplayed.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

If you saw the previews this won't be a spoiler, but the zombies move real quick! I was under the impression from the book that they were slow and lumbering, but that doesn't really translate well into a movie like this so they made them fast.

In the book, they were definitely the slow, Romero type. The Battle of Yonkers was a great part of the book. You're thinking, wow, the military has all these weapons, tanks, aircraft, etc., the zombies are toast. But, the book does a great job of telling how and why the battle turns, and goes all wrong....how normal military doctrine is completely contrary to a zombie threat (like being trained to hit center of mass vs. the head, etc.). I think this would have been cool to see on film.

Instead, they went with a gimmick. This zombie "swarm" idea, like a swarm of locusts. Will probably be neat on film, and certainly makes them more fearsome, but I don't know...it just isn't WWZ...it's some other zombie movie.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join