It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey anti smoking bullies....I told you so!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Because they were also capitalist. Just a different set of private owners.

state capitalism

noun

a form of capitalism in which the central government controls most of the capital, industry, natural resources, etc.

But keep in mind I was referring to England where capitalism got it's start. Capitalism is not the only reason for the formation of cities, but I don't believe it's relevant to the point. The point is the inclosure laws forced people off the land and thus were forced to work "jobs" for land owners.

If workers owned the means to produce, including land, there would be no reason to stay in cities. If people did it would be their choice.

edit on 1/1/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
We've had burn codes in my town for years. And it's not California.
Our town is in the geological equivalent of a bowl. When we get a temperature inversion, the air stagnates.
In the winter, all the soot, and fine sand particles hang in the air. The sand is from treating the roads when they get icy. This air can be dangerous to some, and annoying to others.

When the burn code is RED, you can be fined for using a wood burning stove or fireplace.
There are some exceptions though. If it is your ONLY form of heat, or if it is a cook stove, you can be exempted from the rules.

I'm not sure if there is a better way to handle it. It's a Green, yellow, red situation. During Yellow is where people can use judgement. It's voluntary, and how people react then, can determine if the code moves to red.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LEL01

I'm with you...it's all about control disguised as enviromentalism. When are all these holier than thou do gooders
going to give up their cars?

What about everything they eat, wear, buy, live in etc......it all causes some sort of pollution. Natural gas burns, factories that make hybrid cars creat pollution, factories that make solar panels and wind turbines make pollution......get a grip people, just being human creates pollution.

We have as much right to this planet as any other species and the planet has survived for thousands of years of fires burning.

And I love the way people keep saying "open fires" to make it sound so irresponsible.....

Liberals and progressives just love to have a soapbox to be on, always trying to find something to pick on people about and control and complain.

Mind your own business and go live in the woods if everything bothers you so much.

There was a time when only fires were used for all cooking, heating and manufacturing. Because there was no other technology, but you think less of it is worse? It's called propaganda.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Everyone is making it seem like burning restrictions are a California thing. There not. They've been going on for a while now and it's to improve health and well being for the entire population.

Burn bans in the winter happen a lot in the Puget Sound. The Sound is like a giant bowl rimmed by the Cascades. When their is a High Pressure system, bad air can't escape, meaning the air quality gets really poor posing health risks. Limiting unnecessary fire place smoke (only source of heat not banned) makes sense, unless you want to limit cars on the road?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

If its such a problem, then shouldn't cars be limited also?

But that would be inconvenient, wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Cars are a whole hell of a lot more important to the functioning of society than your precious woodstove. If you don't like the burn bans that practically every place on the globe has to deal with, too bad. Those of us who don't want to die of lung cancer at age 40 outweigh you.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Seriously?

Lung cancer from fireplaces? Please.

What about when fires were all there were? Did everyone drop dead of lung cancer? Nooooo.

Better do something about natural forest fires and volcanos while you are at it.

Cars may be more important to you, but there are more of them than fireplaces and they are more dangerous to the air.

See how hypocritical that is?
edit on 1-1-2013 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
You guys better get on Mother Nature because she accounts for 90% of lung clogging particulates in the air.

Some particulates occur naturally, originating from volcanoes, dust storms, forest and grassland fires, living vegetation, and sea spray.

Human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels in vehicles, power plants and various industrial processes also generate significant amounts of particulates. Coal combustion in developing countries is the primary method for heating homes and supplying energy.

Because salt spray over the oceans is the overwhelmingly most common form of particulate in the atmosphere, anthropogenic aerosols—

those made by human activities—currently account for about 10 percent of the total mass of aerosols in our atmosphere.[2] [edit]

Secondary particles derive from the oxidation of primary gases such as sulfur and nitrogen oxides into sulfuric acid (liquid) and nitric acid (gaseous). The precursors for these aerosols—i.e. the gases from which they originate—may have an anthropogenic origin (from fossil fuel or coal combustion) and a natural biogenic origin.

In the presence of ammonia, secondary aerosols often take the form of ammonium salts; i.e. ammonium sulfate and ammonium nitrate (both can be dry or in aqueous solution); in the absence of ammonia, secondary compounds take an acidic form as sulfuric acid (liquid aerosol droplets) and nitric acid (atmospheric gas). Secondary sulfate and nitrate aerosols are strong light-scatterers.[5] This is mainly because the presence of sulfate and nitrate causes the aerosols to increase to a size that scatters light effectively.

The composition of particulate matter that generally causes visual effects such as smog consists of sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, mineral dust, organic matter, and elemental carbon also known as black carbon or soot. The particles are hydroscopic due to the presence of sulphur, and SO2 is converted to sulphate when high humidity and low temperatures are present. This causes the reduced visibility and yellow color.[8] [edit]

en.wikipedia.org...

I wonder why some people are so worried about lung cancer from cigarette smoke and fireplaces, but lung cancer from cars not so much. Is it really more important to have a car than to warm your house? Or enjoy a good burger?

I guess it just matters what's important to the loudest and most powerful.

edit on 1-1-2013 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Wood Smoke is an adjuvant. Not many people have allergies to it but it will accentuate a response to an allergen or even bacteria or fungus. I think if it is the right kind of smoke, it could even trigger the body to fight cancer.

They got this all wrong. Sure, if exposed to excessive amounts of woodsmoke it could cause the immune system to get depleted but we are here and our ancestors were always around smoke. What people think is reality often isn't. Oh well, people will just have to learn the hard way I guess.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by AnnKoontz
California is the worse. How can the call themselves Liberals, when all they do is take away people's rights? You can get drugged up and have all the orgies you want, but don't light a fire to keep yourselves warm.

Well it's why San Francisco doesn't look like Mexico City. It's not as if there are not other ways to produce heat.

If Cali looked like that you would be claiming "liberals" are evil polluters.

Reality check, Cali is not all that liberal mate. Gay Marriage banned, repeal of death penalty failed, second largest prison population, etc.

In fact four east coast states are more liberal according to this...

fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com...

Sorry but I just hate stupid stereotypes that people seem to love to spread around.

That's the point. Cali is not liberal. My daughter just came home after her first semester in school in Cali and she described it as communist.

Fireplace story proves she's not far off.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sconner755

I think I agree with you, they think liberal makes them sound better.....or progressive, but they are some sort of mixture of isms like communism, totalitarianism. At least in the south. Much of the north I believe is more conservative.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I hate California for nonsense like this. They really are a state of over 90% retarded people.....
edit on 2-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Amen.....and thank you, there is hope!

If fireplaces are killing us, then global warming is man caused and Al Gore doesn't care about the money he's making off it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by sconner755

I think I agree with you, they think liberal makes them sound better.....or progressive, but they are some sort of mixture of isms like communism, totalitarianism. At least in the south. Much of the north I believe is more conservative.

It's for sure not liberalism.

No free thought is encouraged. Everybody must fall into the party line.

My girlfriend is from East Germany. She described the EG the same way back in the day. Everybody was expected to fall in line with "The Party." Whatever The Party thought about something is how she was supposed to think about it.

What frightens my daughter is how the young kids are so willing to fall in line with government authority. She wishes she could have lived in the 60's. WTF happened to Cali????

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
OMG I cannot believe what I am reading here. Why don't some of you ......oh Jesus I feel like I am repeating myself yet again.......READ!!!!! Have a READ about what the air quality was like over 50 years ago in British cities when the weather was cold and calm. This is why coal fires were banned.

SMOG KILLS DUH!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

Well said. Serious smog in most major European cities in the past, not just in the UK. And, to be frank, this is an old problem for humans. Even some Roman accounts drawl on about the problems of pollution from fires in various cities around the Empire (and how it leads to health problems) - it isn't anything new.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Ban Car exhaust emmissions in public places. exhaust fumes in traffic from your car are attacking me on the sidewalk going about my business.

NO CARS TURNED ON IN PUBLIC PLACES! ROADS OR ANYWHERE THERE ARE PEDESTRIANS!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

I hate California for nonsense like this. They really are a state of over 90% retarded people.....
edit on 2-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

extend that 90% to all the states and ull have a more accurate statement.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Well, I didn't have long to wait to say that.

I told you in many anti smoking threads that if you let the smokers be bullied and lose their rights, they would come after something you love soon.

No one learns!

Now it is fireplaces in California.......how long until its summer BBQs?

When will people stand up to fight for their rights and stop this nonsense?

I guess you all get what you deserve.

Please have at it and tell me how wrong I was.....

Right now i am going to light my fireplace and have a smoke while I still can.....

PLANNING ON CUDDLING UP BY THE FIREPLACE NEW YEAR’S DAY? NOT IF YOU’RE IN SAN FRANCISCO

www.theblaze.com...

Oh ok.. because you seem to want to smoke and endanger the life of everyone around you it should be ok and encouraged to get revenge if you lose your right to do so. Is that what your suggesting? How very childish of you. That is something I would expect from a first grader not a grown adult. Seriously need to get a clue. It sounds like your obsessed with this for some reason that defies logic.
edit on 2-1-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

reply to post by AnnKoontz

Exactly......and once Cali or NY do it, it spreads like wild fire!

It just infuriates me that people don't care what is happening to our freedoms!

If your "freedoms" are not being practiced with some common sense then laws have to be made.

If everyone was burning open fires it would unhealthy for everyone.

This is not about rights, it's about your selfish desire to do what you want, screw everyone else or the effects of my actions. It is that attitude that leads to less freedom.

And I'm sure it pollutes more than the factories and corporations,

Please this is the next stupidest thing I've read today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join