It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope's new year address deplores rampant capitalism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Pope's new year address deplores rampant capitalism

www.bbc.co.uk

Pope Benedict XVI has condemned "unregulated capitalism" for contributing to world tension, in a new year address to worshippers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
the utter hypocrisy is astounding , but i guess its easier to blame someone else than put his own organisation in order .

the catholic churches ` financial affairs ` are a morrass of corruption

and the inequality between church and poor needs addressing too , as must the church policy on contraception and population control - which - in some areas is adding to the ` poor underclass `

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

the utter hypocrisy is astounding , but i guess its easier to blame someone else than put his own organisation in order .

You do realize that the vast majority of the church's wealth are in assets that they can't get rid of, right?

It seems a bit disingenuous to say that, because the church is a wealthy organization that's existed for 2000 years, it can't say anything about poverty. If they did nothing about poverty, you might have a point, but Catholic Charities is one of the largest organizations to support the poor that exists.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I find that amusing.
I wonder if anything else came to mind he'd like to deplore.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I actually agree with the guy on this one. Unregulated capitalism is like a cancer on the Earth.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well, how very political of the Pontiff. I think I liked him a lot better before he became a political as well as religious figure.

If he wants to continue being a political leader by things like this ..and his less than stellar suggestions over the past year..I say we demand Vatican City embrace democracy and lets make the World's single most powerful position of religious leadership a duly elected one by the members of the Church he lords power over, not just the Cardinals and their colored logs.

Of course... He can just go back to leading the Church and keep himself out of politics ..and I'd be even happier.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It would be nice if we all could legally accumulate wealth tax free...
There may not be any need for their "charity"

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Did he happen to use a Chinese translator?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Pope's new year address deplores rampant capitalism...

BS... considering the Vatican owns 25 percent of the world's gold bullion...

Reminds me of the quote in my sig: "Everything is backwards..."

The Vatican solid gold bullion worth billions, is stored with the Rothschild controlled Bank of England and the US Federal Reserve Bank.

The Catholic church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator, and property owner in existence. Possessing more material wealth than any bank, corporation, giant trust, or government anywhere on the globe. The Pope, who is the visible ruler of this colossal global wealth is one of the richest men on Earth. While two-thirds of the world earns less than two dollars a day, and one-fifth of the world is under fed or starving to death, the Vatican hordes the world’s wealth, profits from it on the stock market, and at the same time preached about giving.

servantofthelight.com...

Pope John Paul II in Hell

"And Jesus responded, “Yes, daughter, he may have said many things, but he would never speak the truth as it is. He never said the truth. Although he knew the truth, he preferred money over preaching about salvation. He never told the truth; he would not say that hell is real and that heaven also exists. Daughter, now he is here in this place.”

Prepare to Meet your God

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Exactly. He's no saint but he ain't wrong on this one.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You do realize that the vast majority of the church's wealth are in assets that they can't get rid of, right?

yeah! ... the whole f***'n planet!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I hate it when "journalists" put a few snippets in an article and then tell me what to think. Anyone have a link to a full transcript so I can decide for myself? I've been looking, but so far no luck.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The mere fact that the vatican condemns this means you should all support this!

Anyone of you who agrees with him are zombies!!!!!!!!

Unregulated capitalism?
Do you know what regulated capitalism is?
It's crony capitalism!!!
It's wanted regulations and then people lobbying to get an exec from an almost-monopoly to head such a regulatory body.

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZOMBIES ZOMBIES ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

"Braaaaaiiiiinnnnnssss!!!!!"

[Nom,nom,nom,nom...]

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
How could anyone, the pope included not like something that actually enriches them and helps to further their own cause, this is a perplexing statement?

edit on 1-1-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I don't care what the pope says. The pope is a FAKE FIGUREHEAD and a direct contradiction that lives in a palace while Jesus said "blessed be the poor, woe unto the rich".

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vidpci
I don't care what the pope says. The pope is a FAKE FIGUREHEAD and a direct contradiction that lives in a palace while Jesus said "blessed be the poor, woe unto the rich".

This^^^^^^ And he speaks his hypocrisy while he struts around in his solid gold chains and crosses, golden staves, and loads of other gold. Why doesnt he sell some of that and help the poor? What a satanic figurehead.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Of course, I would very much like him to explain what he thinks "Capitalism" is?

Because although many have ever striven to achieve it... we STILL don't have it. (Hard-core capitalist cheerleaders don't feel picked on; Communism wasn't allowed to "work" either.)

Capitalism requires a "free" market.... a free market is a patent impossibility as long as any monopoly is allowed to thrive.... meet "Central Banks" and their monopoly on currency.

No free market, no Capitalism.

So here we go.... what did he really mean? Or is he ignorantly using it to describe "materialism?"

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Yes, global brainwashing with "divinely inspired" religious dogma is so much better than capitalism.

All hail the pope.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
"Unregulated" capitalism is indeed the source of MANY of today's problems.

If you're already going to cite, then do it right...he did not say capitalism but UNREGULATED capitalism.

If you disagree with this then you must be blind, in particular if you look at the US and the problems today.

Examples:

* Unregulated capitalism: If a company, for the sake of cost saving, outsources to cheap countries like India, Pakistan etc. Lots of companies do this. A huge problem. You think this is ok? We have people on welfare and looking for jobs HERE...while Ramesh from India does the callcenter job for, say, Intel or Hewlett Packard because its CHEAPER??? What about this is ok?

* Merchandise for US firms produced in China (on the backs of slave workers)...because its cheaper ---> more profit for them because of less costs...

* and so forth...

Unregulated capitalism means that any employer, corporate etc. can do whatever they deem "ok" FOR THEIR PROFIT as being the main factor. The human is not a priority. The human doing work is just an instrument for profit. Corporates profit, sadly, most of the time is NOT for the benefit of those working/slaving, even if they tell you this is the case. ("Because we create work...."). If you work for less money, and the corporates wont cover your healthcare, cut vacation etc..etc... guess WHO is profiting?

So....in this case, the pope is actually spot on!

edit on 1-1-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join