It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Perspective on Guns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
this thread is the best one yet....except for the one post from a guy that doesn't know too much stuff...it's perfect reading and back and forth conversing....Texas has enough guns in the hands of outdoorsman types.....serious "take care of business" types to form a cube the size of NEW YORK CITY...

PROPS TO YOU POSTERS except that one guy that doesn't know too much stuff.

eta.....but everyone recognizes the need for guns when exploring in Alaska....huh! GRIZZ
edit on 1-1-2013 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh...the coolest of names, I swear

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by region331
The only government of a developed country that actually fears its people is the French, They'll grind the country to a halt if they need to.

And they don't even need to use guns.

Back to the op. As I understand it, being a citizen of the Kingdom Of Sweden, the AR wielding gun nutters we see popping up in these kinds of threads do not represent the majority of americans. I think the majority of americans see that guns cause a lot of problems in their society and not just in the hands of gangs and thugs. Petty arguments end in fatal gun shot wounds, kids shoot themselves accidentally or get accidentally shot by their parents etc. These are daily occurances. If stricter gun control, akin to something like we have in europe, was up for referendum I think it would pass. The country will change, it will take time but they will get there.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by region331

Education? Culture? The British tried to take our guns and waged 2 bloody wars with us. It's part of our very history. It is literally the blood of the United States. Listen, just because Brits chose to never rise up against their tyrant Kings, and still choose to cower in the shadows, doesn't mean the rest of the world is the same.

Brits have absolutely no voice when it comes to guns in America. NONE! We don't want to hear it from Brits. Ever.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I can't disagree with you but I think the collection of data will be an inevitability but I don't know if I could shoot a policeman over it

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The USA used to be considered the greatest country on Earth by many.

Now, their politicians endlessly bicker back and forth about useless topics, their gun, debt, and health care issues are spiralling out of control, they have little political will or the money to upgrade their aging infrastructure, much of which is collapsing around them, and they have absolutely zero tolerance for even discussing the issues with other people that don't agree with them.

Greatest Country on Earth? No, but they used to be.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vidpci

I think the English rose up against their king many times in the past. I suppose they'd be your ancestors to,

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
You guy's in UK need to rethink this out what work for you may not work out for everybody else.
Here a few friend of mine typical Canadian Northern Ontario family
I would say about ¾ of people I know probable have more gun than this.
Ever shot a bear thru the door or wolf in your back yard to protect your dog

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Although you make some good points - you cannot really legitimately claim to talk on behalf of 55 million people.
Many / most English people are very brain washed on this issue. It suits the government to have an unarmed populace.

British people were happily armed if they wanted to be - until the post war years.
I want the right to be armed.

addit : for protection against criminals - I would never ever shhot a bear or a wolf - unless they were attacking me in a life and death situation. Most would not attack unless threatened and I disagree with the casual slaughter of beautiful sentient creatures.
edit on 2-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Although you make some good points - you cannot really legitimately claim to talk on behalf of 55 million people.
Many / most English people are very brain washed on this issue. It suits the government to have an unarmed populace.

British people were happily armed if they wanted to be - until the post war years.

addit : for protection against criminals - I would never ever shhot a bear or a wolf - unless they were attacking me in a life and death situation. Most would not attack unless threatened and I disagree with the casual slaughter of beautiful sentient creatures.
edit on 2-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

Well let me tell you how fast you would change your mind went a 300 to 400 lb bear is ponding on your door and the door look like it going to open and that after giving it a few warning shot the night before.

As for the wolf it a choice let your best friend Dog get kill or the wolf and their never just one their run in pack you just don't see them until it to late.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

I absolutely think that you should have a gun to shoot dangerous wildlife. Or even for sport or protection.
I don;t think you should not have them. I just think that tbe price for having them will be the occasional massacre every 6 or 12 months. There's no way around it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Many / most English people are very brain washed on this issue. It suits the government to have an unarmed populace

I think I speak for the majority but not everyone,
I think, in general, if you ask most people in the UK, it suits the populace too.
You can be armed with a shotgun.

edit on 2-1-2013 by region331 because: presentation

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I love the fact that you were cool about that. Friended whether you like it or not.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The culture of guns has changed in the US over the years by fostering ignorance. Once upon a time schools had trap & skeet clubs, because there wasn't a mystique about guns. Children learned how to safely handle them. The worst part is there is no respect for anything now. Guns, people etc. Guns are a tool just like a chain saw or a car, respect what the tool can do
Now "popular culture" is songs about using guns in crimes, movies with body counts done by the hero and if you own or want to own a gun you are covering for some deficiency. The last one always makes me laugh coming from those who would use their ignorance to remove something they fear. I appreciate the op's attempt to come to terms with why we are like we are in the US
Some lessons are just forgotten by those who benefited from them. Well ignorance is bliss they say.
edit on 2-1-2013 by hangedman13 because: spellin

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The British haven't had guns taken away, the culture isn't like that. The people who have wanted to have firearms have had access to them and still do. There around 2mill firearms licensed in the UK at the moment.

Between 2008 and 2010, there were 7,071 licences issued to under-18s

www.guardian.co.uk...

So much for claims that somehow the government has restricted 'freedoms'. The fact is, most people in the UK have never wanted to own a weapon, nor have had a need to, certainly protecting oneself from the wildlife isn't a valid reason to own one..

No-one here can speak on behalf of 60 mill people, but statistic give a far more accurate picture of what the truth is. I'd love to know of a brit who has applied for a firearm license has had been turned down for no apparent reason.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hope you are not speaking for me when you say a UK Perspective?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedog1973

interesting article thank you for posting the link. No wonder I always bump into men with shot guns .. as I complained about on another thread. It is because according to that data, I live in the area with the highest concentration of hun ownership in England and Wales.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnnKoontz
/snip 2/3's of Americans oppose gun control, /snip

You are referring to the gallup poll. Gallup knows how to get the desirered result.
The question was:
"Are you for or against a law which would make it illegal to manufacture, sell or possess semiautomatic guns known as assault rifles?"

The "manufacture" part would have made *me* answer "No"
Also it wasnt 2/3rds, it was 51-44

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join