It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS3 & External Hard Drive Question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
For years I've always used a formatted external hard drive on my PS3 for additional storage. I've had a 750GB external hard drive, formatted to FAT32. Over the holidays I picked up a 4TB external hard drive that I've also formatted to FAT32. For some reason I couldn't format it to a single partition of 4TB so I have two partitions on it of 2TB each.

I've tried anything I can think of and my PS3 still doesn't pick up the device. I've deleted one of the partitions to see if it would pick up the device, it didn't.

Anybody know anything that I don't that could potentially help me out?

It's a 4TB WD external hard drive.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

You got the exact model #? The new and the old.

Some of the new hardrives can't be formatted to the version of FAT32 that the PS3 has. Especially if you have an older PS3, the firmware might need to be updated or the BIOS on the board flashed.

ETA: from the initial look up I did it seems the drive is USB 3.0, your PS3 is certainly not 3.0 compatible. That could be issue, although they are mostly backward compatible.
edit on 1/1/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

ETA: There's also some grumbling online about 4TB drives aren't compatible because of the huge indexing format required.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I believe my 750GB is 3.0 and isn't an issue. I'll get the model number.

I've read about the 4TB issue and am concerned that's the issue. Hoping not though. PS3 is up to date.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
is your ps3 stock with stock firmware or is it modded?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Ok is that software up do date or firmware for your drives and board as well? Usually requires a manual update.

Not something you should have to do though in most cases. I think it's more the issue regarding the large indexing. I'm researching further for you.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Ok from what I can gather here's the problem.

FAT32's indexing is not up to snuff for those large 4TB drives and are incompatible. 2TB drives work just fine apparently and that's the limitation, although partioning to two 2TB sections will not work.

If you have a modded PS3 with the proper firmware and media player, than you can have it work, but it will be a hell of a time attepting to configure everything. I've done a few and it's not for the faint of heart.

ETA: there is a WD drive specific for it apparently.

www.dailytech.com...

The My Book World Edition II network

That was released in 09 so the pricing should be done a whole lot.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have a 250gb PS3, why would you need 4tb?

Granted, some games take up a lot of space. BF3 for example is always updating, and they are normally 1gb+ in size.
Ive not run out of room yet, maybe im not using the PS3 to its full potential? I normally stream things from my computer to the PS3 if i want to watch a movie or listen to music.

What are the advantages of having such a huge HDD??

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

I use mine for ISO's of games I've purchased or made copies of through friends and what not.

Also for vast ammounts of media like my music and dvd library which I've contered all digitally. My external is set up via server though so it's accessible throughout any medium in the house as long as there's a wifi connection.

Then again, in the tech space, you can never have enough space

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

At one time the same would have been said about 250GB.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

And what's involved in me setting up a server in the house to access it? I had a media server on the PS3 before but I didn't quite grasp it and it didn't seem to work well.

I live in a rural area with a basic high speed connection. Would it be worth my time to even bother? My Netflix works fine on it though, if that's any basis of comparison.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Any idea of I switched it back to NTFS would it be compatible on the new Wii U?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

You should be OK.

I have a whole server rack, and that's a lot of equipment for anybody who doesn't have that kidn of tech or need for it. ( i run a dozen or so PC's and other electronics in teh house with kids and stuff so it's good to have it all on one system.)

Basicaly I use Windows Media Center. I believe the PS3 has a similar option for shared PC connections. That way you load all your content to the PC and the drive and stream it via the program just like Netflix.

If you don't have any issues with Netflix than I see no issues using the above to attain the same goal.

Here's the easiest way to do it via PS3:

Follow these directions to do so.

1. Make sure PS3 is connected to your network
2. Install Windows Media Player 11 on your computer that is attached to the same network
3. In WMP11 go to Tools>Options
4. In the options dialog box click the library tab, then click Configure Sharing
5. You should see all the computers on your network AND an "unknown device" (which is your PS3)
6. Right click on "unknown device" and select Allow

Now if you go back to your PS3 you should see a Windows-looking icon at the top of Pictures, Music and Video sections. Use that icon to access your content library.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I haven't touched a WiiU yet, so I don't know. However being a newer console I would suggest the newer file formatting.

I can't find any info on the net of potential issues with folks using WiiU and that hardrive size, but anything could happen.

You can always do the same for your WiiU as with your PS3 and the computer though.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I read here that gives me concern. I don't want it to be isolated to the Wii U.

I'm gonna give the server a go. Do I need to load everything into the library? Select the HD as an option? I get the idea of connecting the two devices but how do I have everything on the HD set as my content library?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I hadn't read about the WiU being isolated and should not occur using the windows media center medium, as long as it's available as an option on the WiiU.

In windows media center it should ask you to select a storage medium as the content library.

What I usually do is keep the HD plugged in, create a single folder ( streaming multiple folders can be taxing, it requires a lot of processing) and then copy/pasta all the content into that folder.

You then go into Windows media center or player in the options you should select add folder to library or something similar and just path the drive.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And I believe I have 12 installed. Not seeing the Configure Sharing.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Damn, pulled old instructions.

www.igoy.in...

Those should work.

ETA: or this one:

www.ehow.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

WMP doesn't support .mp4. I looked online and found a codec pretty easily. Is that legit or is the program not going to work with that file format?

And would that actually work with the server on the PS3?
edit on 1-1-2013 by chissler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Codecs are a common requirement for mp4. I use VLC as the default but that took a lot of time to get it set up properly.

Most codecs are legit for WMP and mp4..

download.cnet.com...

www.mediaplayercodecpack.com...

Etiher of those should work fine.

As for the codec and PS3, since it's streaming from your PC it will mostly use it's resources for playback so the codec should integrate well.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Library / Videos / Folder / E:

That's the folder the files are in within the library on my laptop. I can't find that on the PS3. But the two do seem to be connected.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join